The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!)

+12
leestu
undeadmonkey
Keyser Soze
numbersix_99
JackBurton
JackO
Buscemi
BarcaRulz
silversurfer19
SuperShaan
Synestro
W
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best Americans in Space Movie?

50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_lcap42%50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_rcap 42% 
[ 10 ]
50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_lcap21%50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]
50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_lcap21%50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]
50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_lcap16%50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 24

50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) Empty 50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!)

Post by W Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 pm

The Fantasy Mogul Film Institute Presents 50 Movies, 50 States

I love the AFI list specials and top whatever lists in general, so I decided to start this. Here's how it goes. We'll do the 50 states alphabetically one at a time--I'll warn you first that this will take forever. I'll open up the state for nominations.

NOMINATIONSTo be nominated as the best movie set in that state, the movie must take place in that state more than any other location including--but not limited to--other states, other countries, at sea, in the air, on another planet, in space, or at the center of the earth (lol). Post nomination, the movies can be seconded.

CONSOLIDATIONI'll take all of the movies that have been seconded and put them in a poll. You must get a majority to win the poll. If no majority happens, I will recreate the poll and drop the low ones until one wins or they tie.

I thought it was more complicated than that, but I guess not. When a movie wins, I will keep a list here for reference.

I am officially opening up nominations for Alabama.

Now that that is done, I'm nominating "Forrest Gump"

Winning Movies
Alabama: "To Kill A Mockingbird"
Alaska: "Insomnia"
Arizona: "Raising Arizona"
Arkansas: "Sling Blade"
California: "Vertigo"
Colorado: "The Shining"
Connecticut: "Beetlejuice"
Delaware: "Fight Club"
Florida: "Scarface"
Georgia: "Gone With the Wind"
Hawaii: "Lilo & Stitch"
Idaho: "My Own Private Idaho"
Illinois: "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
Indiana: "A Christmas Story"
Iowa: "Field of Dreams"
Kansas: "The Wizard of Oz"
Kentucky: "The Insider"
Louisiana: "The Green Mile"
Maine: "The Shawshank Redemption"
Maryland: "12 Monkeys"
Massachusetts: "Mystic River"
Michigan: "True Romance"
Minnesota: "Fargo"
Mississippi: "O, Brother Where Art Thou"
Missouri: "The Assassination of Jesse James..."
Montana: "Legends of the Fall"
Nebraska: "Boys Don't Cry"
Nevada: "The Godfather: Part II"
New Hampshire: "Jumanji"
New Jersey: "The Wedding Singer"
New Mexico: "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
New York: "Rear Window"
North Carolina: "Blue Velvet"
North Dakota: "Leprechaun"
Ohio: "Heathers"
Oklahoma: "Rumble Fish"
Oregon: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
Pennsylvania: "Rocky"
Rhode Island: "Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story"
South Carolina: "Full Metal Jacket"
South Dakota: "North By Northwest"
Tennessee: "Walk the Line"
Texas: "No Country for Old Men"
Utah: "Fletch"
Vermont: "Thank You for Smoking"
Virginia: "Silence of the Lambs"
Washington: "WarGames"
West Virginia: "Night of the Hunter"
Wisconsin: "Lars and the Real Girl"
Wyoming: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"
--------------------
Not Quite 50 States

Washington D.C.: "Dr. Strangelove"
American Road Trip: "The Stand"
American Airspace: "Airplane!"
American Seaboard: "Jaws"
Americans in Space:
Americans in Foreign Lands:
Manhattan: "Rear Window"
Bronx: "Raging Bull"
Brooklyn: "Goodfellas"
NY Other: "The Godfather"

Last edited by W on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 am; edited 7 times in total
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) Empty Re: 50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!)

Post by Synestro Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Where are we at on this thing, anyway.
Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!) Empty Re: 50 Movies, 50 States (In Space RUNOFF #1 Up, in Foreign Lands nominations start now!)

Post by W Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:36 am

This is where we are. We only have 10 slots for the polls now, so think twice before some noms. Almost finished. Americans at sea poll up. Americans in space nominations start now.

I will nominate Armageddon.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 am

I nominate Alien.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:47 am

I second Alien, and can I nominate Star Wars?

If Jaws does not receive EVERY vote in this poll, there is something wrong in the world.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:50 am

Agree with SS. If not by common sense, then people should at least vote for Jaws because of peer pressure. Razz
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:05 am

why the hell is water world up there!!! Evil or Very Mad
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:14 am

SuperShaan wrote:why the hell is water world up there!!! Evil or Very Mad

Probably the same thing as Under Seige... Rolling Eyes
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:53 am

SuperShaan wrote:why the hell is water world up there!!! Evil or Very Mad

Because half-men/half-fish people being chased by pirates on Sea-Doos is cool. And Dennis Hopper can play great villains. (Note to Mr. Hopper: stick to playing hippies and villains and stop convincing people that you're reformed and support the Republican Party. You were great in Land Of The Dead! You basically played your modern-day self and you were an awesome villain. But please, give us the Easy Rider Hopper again.)
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:54 am

Evil or Very Mad I missed this poll! I would have nominated The Caine Mutiny.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by JackBurton Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:09 am

I second Armageddon. I nominate Space Cowboys. I don't think Star Wars counts they are not even from Earth let alone America. If they were I would vote for it.
JackBurton
JackBurton
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:52 pm

I nominate Aliens and 2001: A Space Odyssey
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:37 pm

numbersix_99 wrote:I nominate Aliens and 2001: A Space Odyssey

I second Aliens and DE-nominate 2001. My god, IMO that is one of the MOST over-rated films ever made.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Star Trek II, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff and Planet of the Apes are my nominations

I'd include Santa Claus Vs. the Martians, but technically, Santa is not American
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:41 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:If Jaws does not receive EVERY vote in this poll, there is something wrong in the world.

Surf,

I LOVE Jaws, but there's something about Red October that sucks me in every time it's on TV
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Second Apollo 13

Ah Tom hanks in his heyday.

P.S. Which Planet of the Apes are you nominating, Soze?
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Planet of the Apes? It's not really set in space, is it.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm renominating 2001.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:26 pm

I forgot to nominate: I nominate Serenity and Sunshine.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:50 am

GO JAWS!
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:31 am

JackO wrote:P.S. Which Planet of the Apes are you nominating, Soze?

The original, of course.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Synestro Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:54 am

I am seconding Planet of the Apes. INDEED! Thank you Keyser Soze.

Shaan wrote

Planet of the Apes? It's not really set in space, is it.

I believe this should quailify as a space movie, because the audience is led to believe it takes place on an alien planet up until the final 60 seconds of the film. One of the best twist endings in the history of film. It's hard to appreciate now, but when I sat my kids down to watch the original earlier this past year, I enjoyed watching the reaction from the fresh set of eyes. The pay off was beautiful. Their reaction to the ending was only overshadowed by their reaction to the first speaking ape.

Ape(holding and pointing a camera): "Say, cheese."

My oldest soon jerked his head away from the TV and towards me and when our eyes met, he busted out laughing. Definitely one of the top 10 moments of sharing film with my kids.
Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Buscemi wrote:I'm renominating 2001.

And I'll second that.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Synestro wrote

I believe this should quailify as a space movie, because the audience is led to believe it takes place on an alien planet up until the final 60 seconds of the film.

Point taken. I therefore second Planet of the Apes.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:15 pm

SuperShaan wrote:Planet of the Apes? It's not really set in space, is it.

Except for the fact that they left Earth in a rocket ship. So, at some point, they had to have been in space.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next