The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TOP TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF 2008

+16
Donte77
Synestro
MisterInformative
Keyser Soze
mfrendo
SuperShaan
Shrykespeare
IPKI$$
transformers2
Chienfantome
BanksIsDaFuture
JackO
numbersix_99
Buscemi
undeadmonkey
silversurfer19
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

TOP TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF 2008 - Page 3 Empty Re: TOP TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF 2008

Post by mfrendo Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:

And Frendo, Wow, Hate the Coen Bros. films? That's a pretty strong sweeping generality. I mean there have been individual films of theirs that I have really disliked (Oh Brother comes to mind), but there are others that I feel are true classics. (Lebowski, Barton Fink, Fargo, No Country)

I really, really tried to like their stuff, and saw most of it for that reason (thought The Hudsucker Proxy wasn't bad either, to be fair), but just could not get into it. I can't even say why, because I can't figure it out, but I just can't get into the feel...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

TOP TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF 2008 - Page 3 Empty Re: TOP TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF 2008

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:19 pm

You're out of element, Frendo!

By the way, isn't your name a Coen Brothers reference?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm

NSpan wrote:
mfrendo wrote: but I figure even if you didn't like Funny Games, it could be appreciated for artistic value, as it definitely wasn't a mindless popcorn film with gaping plot holes, like the other three.

i thought Funny Games was a slap in the face to anybody who dared sit through it.. it's the biggest "Fuck You" in cinema since Andy Warhol filmed a guy sleeping for 5 hours.. (okay, maybe there's been some since... The Brown Bunny, anyone?).. and, trust me, i WANTED to like it (i'll give even the worst Tim Roth projects a chance).. the last act was just so painfully atrocious (and intentionally so, i believe) that i can't help but place it at the bottom of this year's list.. the movie's "message" was so heavy-handed and obvious and DISDAINFUL--how does someone with that much hate for the moviegoing public get financed to make a mainstream movie in the first place? the only person "in" on this joke is Michael Haneke himself..

I've talked about this before, but I find Funny Games (at least the original, haven't seen the remake) to be a pointless exercise. It's based on a very intellectual premise (our complicitness in violence, on-screen or off), which is fine but you need to anchor it in a story. Haneke doesn't do this, he instead anchors it in a scenario. In doing this, he's trying to force the viewer to understand his point, and I for one don't buy into this type of film-making. Unless you have a story, and characters, any attempt to convey an idea becomes cold and, most importantly, laboured. It's the visual equivalent of an essay. Sure, there's a shock element to the film, but for me that kind of shock is the lowest form of audience reaction. I suppose the film intentionally breaks the basic rule of visual storytelling- that you should SHOW, not TELL. You could argue that this was Haneke's intention, to break down the comfortable method of storytelling, but I don't think this works, because a story is what sticks with people. Ironically, it's because of his "subversive" narrative that will make his film so forgettable. I think if you want to make a point and subvert audience preconceptions, you need to utilise a story in SOME way, even if just a means to deconstruct it- the best example of this is No Country for Old Men, which as we all know, won the Oscar.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Buscemi wrote:By the way, isn't your name a Coen Brothers reference?

Actually, I think its his real name. Cool name though.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Yeah, Surfer's right...this is my name...damn Coen Bros ripped it off! Sad As for the Funny Games discussion, I really didn't take it as that heavy handed. I see your guys' point, and where you're coming from, but I also think that the director at least had a point to the film...99% of films nowadays are popcorn fluff with no substance entirely. Also, I thought scenes like the egg scene in the beginning were cool because they were kinda creepy and scary in a new, subtle sort of way. I thought the rewind scene was great too, because it showed what most people love in violent movies (the heroic outcome), which doesn't happen in real life. I actually really liked it, and am kind of surprised to find so much dislike on the thread.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:01 pm

As you might know, I'm probably the only other person here who liked Funny Games. When you compare to most of 2008's other horror movies, it's one of the better ones. And if you want to know what my favorite horror film of 2008 was, it was Quarantine.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Yeah, Quarantine was really good too...though I would have to say my fav horror film of 2008 was Let The Right One In.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:01 am

I hated Funny Games as well would say it was my worst of year as well. i actually ranked all the films i saw in 08 in order due to boredom and shit weather last weekend. i will post if anyone cares.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 am

Buscemi wrote:As you might know, I'm probably the only other person here who liked Funny Games. When you compare to most of 2008's other horror movies, it's one of the better ones. And if you want to know what my favorite horror film of 2008 was, it was Quarantine.

Fuck I forgot about Quarantine!!! Slide that into my list of top 10 this year. Loved that movie.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 am

Just want to make sure I've got this right. Tina Fey movies (Mean Girls, Baby Mama) = Bad because they're knockoffs of other movies (Heathers, Brothers Soloman), but Quarantine, a cheesy, poorly acted, American remake of a really good Spanish film (Rec) = Good.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:05 am

THE BEST
1.)TDK
2.)Iron Man
3.)Tropic Thunder
4.)Wall-E
5.)Forgetting Sarah Marshall
6.)Wanted
7.)Penelope
8.) Prince Caspian
9.)Bottle Shock
10.) The Bank Job

The WORST
1.) Indiana Jones
2.) Jumper
3.) Happy Go Lucky
4.) The Mummy 3
5.) Love Guru
6.) Fool's Gold
7.) Semi-pro
8.) Leatherheads
9.) Pineapple Express
10.) Don't Mess with the Zohan

I had alot of trouble remembering the indie flicks I saw this year really, however looking over the ridiculous list of films I did see I realized how much CRAP was made this year... really sad.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:30 am

I've never even seen [Rec] because it's never gotten an official US release and I have no interest in watching on YouTube. Unless they let me view the original "2 girls, 1 cup" video without the millions of reactions videos with it.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:33 am

ooh, i actually liked Leatherheads, becs. I thought it was good fun.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3