The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo

+2
Shrykespeare
Buscemi
6 posters

Go down

Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo Empty Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Buscemi Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Hey everybody, welcome to a new edition of Guest Columnist with me. I am sorry that I am late with this, I have had a lot of other things going on. But I'll go ahead anyway with this. There are five weeks this month so their will be analysis on fifteen films to take or avoid in the game. Let's start.

October 2nd

Take It: Zombieland

Early word has been positive and the ad campaign has been in full force. I know that I am surprised to say this, but this is a horror comedy that may actually do well.

Don't Take It: The Invention Of Lying

Here is another case of a long-delayed comedy that the studio has given up on. Despite the appearance of several familiar names and a great comedian as a headliner, it's very DOA.

Think About It: More Than A Game

The documentary on LeBron James's high school and AAU days may show some interest among fans and people looking for inspiration, but will it translate to the mainstream crowd? That remains to be seen but it might be worth talking for a few PTA points. Otherwise, I wouldn't build a slate around it.

October 9th

Take It: Couples Retreat

This is the only wide release of the weekend so it will have no problem taking #1. Also, it should get a decent hold and get you more Top 5 points. I don't think it will hit $100 million but it should be a nice cornerstone on your slate before the onslaught of November releases come.

Don't Take It: From Mexico With Love

Didn't Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna strike out with basically the same movie earlier this year? Also, hasn't Kuno Becker already had two flops that focus on European football? Yeah, this one is pretty self-explanatory.

Think About It: An Education

Acclaim has been everywhere from this Nick Hornby-scripted period drama but I just don't see the acclaim translating to box office success. First of all, the title screams generic and does not catch the eyes of the moviegoer. Second, Sony is opening the film on the same day as another limited release (the Peter Morgan-scripted The Damned United). Choose at your own risk.

October 16th

Take It: Law Abiding Citizen

For its low price, you will most likely get a $50 million gross and a nice amount of Top 5 points. The film looks like a thinking man's Saw with some revenge thriller elements thrown in. Add Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx to the equation and you've got a film that will entertain audiences.

Don't Take It: Black Dynamite

The film has a good IMDb rating and already has a decent cult following, but I don't expect the long-delayed comedy to find an audience immediately. It won't be until the DVD that it will find an audience.

Think About It: New York, I Love You

This long-delayed sequel to Paris, J'Taime has had a turbulent release history and has already suffered some cuts before release (one notable casualty: the Scarlett Johansson-directed segment). Though a few PTA points can be expected, I don't expect a very long run from the film due to an unrealiable distributor (Vivendi) and disappointing word of mouth.

October 23rd

Take It: nothing here looks good to me, unless Amelia goes limited before going wide (apparently Film Jerk is listing it as such).

Don't Take It: The Vampire's Assistant. Despite being based upon a best-selling book, this long-delayed horror/fantasy reminds me too much of 2007's The Seeker with bits of Twilight thrown in. Oddly enough, the director of this film's brother directed New Moon which opens next month. Expect the new vampire faithful to simply wait for New Moon on November 20th.

Think About It: Saw VI. So, is Saw coming back or is it a sinking ship? I believe that the series is dying but some seem to believe that it is returning to the days of Saw and Saw II. The drops will probably be quick and the IMDb rating will likely be average but it should get a few Top 5 points. It's up to you.

October 28th-30th

Take It: Gentlemen Broncos. The director's first two films grossed $45 million and $80 million respectively. Also, the trailers combined the quirky style that made Napoleon Dynamite successful combined with an interesting high-concept involving two revenge plots going on at once. The film looks like this fall's (500) Days Of Summer and should probably get you $30 million and at least 10 PTA points.

Don't Take It: The House Of The Devil. It's an American throwback horror film in limited release. And Magnolia is the distributor. It will probably be gone from theatres and on HDNet in two weeks.

Think About It: The Boondock Saints II: All Saint's Day. The first film is considered a cult classic and has sold millions of copies on DVD. With nearly all of the original cast coming back, you would probably expect a decent turnout for this film. But then again, will the McManus Brothers faithful simply wait for the unrated DVD? This is another hard to predict film but do expect a high IMDb score on it.

And that is October in a nutshell. I will return on the week of November 6th for the November releases (you probably already know which one to take for that month).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo Empty Re: Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

I notice you strategically left This Is It and Where the Wild Things Are out of the mix. Intentional?
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo Empty Re: Guest Columnist For October 2nd, Buscemi 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Buscemi Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:29 pm

I didn't want to go into detail on the obvious.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by thswrestler160 Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:43 am

obivous in which way? are you saying wtwta is going to be huge or a huge flop?

thswrestler160
The McMannus Brothers
The McMannus Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:26 am

Obvious in that it would be what everyone would expect me to analyze. But okay...

Where The Wild Things Are: only take it if you have money to spare. It will get a great IMDb and some Top 5 points but don't use it to anchor your slate. It is overpriced and you can get better picks with the money.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 am

I agree with most of your picks but I dont know why you are so high on Gentleman Broncos. I realize that its from the director of Napoleon Dynamite but i really dont see the appeal.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:09 am

My reasons:

-the concept is very interesting (two revenge plots unfolding over a book and the characters in the book)
-the cast contains some familiar faces in the indie world (such as Sam Rockwell, Michael Anagrano and Jemaine Clement)
-and the director's last two films were very successful and profitable
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:27 am

I feel like when Buscemi finds a concept interesting, the public goes the complete opposite way. You don't tend to have the most common of opinions. Which is why you want to remake every film your way to make it better, even when the movie is a smash hit.

I think a movie entitled Gentlemen Broncos should be about John Elway's career, but hey, that's just me Smile
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 am

If they made a movie about John Elway, it should be called ROFLcopter.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:55 am

I have no idea what that means. LOL
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 am

ROFL = Elway's early career (signifying his Super Bowl losses) as well as that dumb grin on his face
copter = Elway's later career (signified by his Super Bowl-winning play known by some as the helicopter)
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 pm

It means Buscemi is a dork that uses terms spawned by World of Warcraft to describe a legend of football lol!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down