The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!!

+6
J.I.
W
BanksIsDaFuture
A_Roode
Buscemi
nickb1016
10 posters

Go down

Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!! Empty Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!!

Post by nickb1016 Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:14 am

According to awardsdaily Paramount had moved Shutter Island to a February 2010. It is rumored that paramount claims it does not have the funds to market a big movie like this in 2009. Another rumor is that the studio wants to clear the way for the Lovely Bones to clean up duing oscar season. But if they are moving it to February then it clearly is not a huge awards contender so there would be no need to move it for the Lovely Bones. Whatever the reasoning behind it, this was one of the biggest movies of the fall season. February is looking pretty strong now with Shutter Island and Wolfman.

Also worth noting is that the weekend of October 2nd will now see the wide release of only 2 movies...Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D. I expect there to be a lot of shuffling by other studios in order to get the wide open weekend.

nickb1016
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!!

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:25 am

My question is: what is Paramount thinking? They are turning a potential blockbuster into a film that might not hit even $60 million now.

Also, couldn't they just open The Lovely Bones in limited release and then go wide in mid-January? Because I really can't see that film breaking out immediately, even with Peter Jackson's name.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Shutter Island moved to February!!!!!!!!!

Post by A_Roode Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38 am

'Lovely Bones' has been an very successful book to. It has got a big audience waiting for it if sales from the last month are anything to go by. And usually they are...
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 am

I've read the book and it just seems too esoteric and different to break out (but keep in mind that I really didn't like the book since the characters weren't likeable and they stretched a 100 page plot into 300 pages). Also when people want ghost stories, they want horror elements as well. There are no horror elements in The Lovely Bones.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 am

WHOA, did not expect this.

Didn't Paramount learn from The Soloist last year? A potential awards contender turns into a mid-Spring $30M flop. And Shutter Island was going to be bigger than The Soloist.

I expect and hope Zombieland will take Oct. 2 so they don't have to go up against Couples Retreat.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:07 am

I could see Surrogates or The Vampire's Assistant going to October 2nd as well.

And actually, there will be two movies at October 2nd now. The Toy Story double feature (which is two weeks only) and the wide expansion of Capitalism: A Love Story.

Edit: the exact release date is February 19th, 2010. The other two films at that date are From Paris With Love (the new film from Taken director Pierre Morel) and Takers (with Paul Walker and Matt Dillon). I guessing this means that one late February title will be pushed back (my best guess is Hot Tub Time Machine, which I expect to move to the summer in an attempt to be 2010's answer to The Hangover).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 am

I didn't have Shutter in any league luckily... I don't think Surrogates is moving. Zombieland jumping up a week and grabbing that spot doesn't sound bad. I think it will probably benefit best from this move as it doesn't have a horrorish film coming out the week before now.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:48 am

Yeah this is stupid. September and October still look very solid though.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:49 am

I just posted in another thread that Whip It has moved up to October 2nd.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:45 am

That's pretty crazy! i was so looking forward to it. Now i have to take it off slates too, and it was priced so decent too...
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 am

Okay, this is a biggie. This may be the biggest (re: most expensive) film I've ever seen move mid-season in the history of this game. Well, needless to say, a LOT of people built their slates around this film, eschewing early titles like GI Joe and/or District 9. It may be that they have just left themselves without a leg to stand on. I will be posting this here as well as sending out e-mails. I'll make anyone who reads this the following offer: anyone who had Shutter Island who wants to pick up Inglourious Basterds may do so until 6am tomorrow morning (Pacific time). If not, you'll have to replace it with something else.

The following people need to rejig their lineups:

UltFYR8 - brockman, Chienfantome, Dantic, Donte, jfs556, leestu, mfrendo, Scripps, SuperShaan, transformers, undeadmonkey

UltHYR3 - brockman, Chientantome, Dantic, donnie, Donte, jfs556, Joko, mfrendo, Nightbird, Scripps, SuperShaan, transformers, undeadmonkey

BOFYR8 - brockman, Chienfantome, Scripps, wcrew2000

BOHYR3 - brockman, Chienfantome, donnie, Donte, jess_sayin, leestu, Nightbird, Scripps, wcrew2000

AugUltReg - brockman, Donte, jfs556, Joko, Nightbird, Nspan, silversurfer, thegreenarrow, undeadmonkey

AugBOReg - brockman, Chienfantome, jess_sayin, Keyser Soze, Nightbird, silversurfer, thegreenarrow

Look for your names here. If you see it, don't waste time. E-mail or PM your replacements to me right away.

Last edited by Shrykespeare on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thswrestler160 Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:06 am

As expected Zombieland has moved into shutter islands slot of 10/2. the sooner the better!

thswrestler160
The McMannus Brothers
The McMannus Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 am

This leaves just two films at October 9th (Couples Retreat and Night Of The Demons). Expect one more film to go to October 9th (possibly The Box, Amelia or The Road).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:26 am

thswrestler160 wrote:As expected Zombieland has moved into shutter islands slot of 10/2. the sooner the better!

Hey, I must be getting kind of decent at this stuff. :)
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:29 am

Wow. So Zombieland and Whip It move into Shutter Island's vacated spot, which means that Couples Retreat now has the 10/9 weekend all to its lonesome (for now).

What a busy beaver I've been in the last few hours! I can hardly keep up!
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:37 pm

thswrestler160 wrote:As expected Zombieland has moved into shutter islands slot of 10/2. the sooner the better!

I predict the fucking future.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Buscemi wrote:This leaves just two films at October 9th (Couples Retreat and Night Of The Demons). Expect one more film to go to October 9th (possibly The Box, Amelia or The Road).

These are all possible. I'm guessing that Universal will make some moves, maybe move up The Vampire's Assistant or move back Love Happens.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Sucks that Chien is in Korea for another week or two.

Last edited by Shrykespeare on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Holy hell this shocked me. Kind of screwed my slates as well but whatever i am banking on the other october films to carry me.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Buscemi wrote:This leaves just two films at October 9th (Couples Retreat and Night Of The Demons). Expect one more film to go to October 9th (possibly The Box, Amelia or The Road).

These are all possible. I'm guessing that Universal will make some moves, maybe move up The Vampire's Assistant or move back Love Happens.

They won't move back Love Happens. They've just started to promote it on TV with the September 18th date.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:52 am

You may want to change your signature, Buscemi...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:10 am

You got it. Wink
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Re-Updated "need to remove Shutter Island" list:

UltFYR8 - brockman, Chienfantome, Dantic, Donte, jfs556, leestu, mfrendo, Scripps, SuperShaan, transformers, undeadmonkey

UltHYR3 - brockman, Chientantome, Dantic, Donte, jfs556, mfrendo, Scripps, SuperShaan, undeadmonkey

BOFYR8 - brockman, Chienfantome, Scripps, wcrew2000

BOHYR3 - brockman, Chienfantome, Donte, leestu, Scripps, wcrew2000

AugUltReg - brockman, Donte, jfs556, silversurfer, thegreenarrow, undeadmonkey

AugBOReg - brockman, Chienfantome, silversurfer, thegreenarrow

Look for your names here. If you see it, don't waste time. E-mail or PM your replacements to me right away.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Shryke i sent you the FY replacement with the HY replacement.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down