The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS

+11
Donte77
Shrykespeare
mfrendo
JackO
IPKI$$
silversurfer19
geezer9687
J-Man
packpaljs
undeadmonkey
NSpan
15 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS - Page 3 Empty Re: Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS

Post by Shrykespeare Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:49 am

transformers2 wrote:Pootie Tang

Shocked

Um...

Shocked

(double take)

Shocked

I weep for the younger generation.

Mad
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS - Page 3 Empty Re: Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS

Post by transformers2 Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:58 am

more of a cult classic in regards to Pootie Tang. That movie is comic genius.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:00 am

Pootie Tang to more Dolemite than Shaft in terms of classics.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:11 am

Pootie Tang is a better movie than fucking Southland Tales...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 am

Banks, you've gotta stop using these saucy avatars because I'm getting funny looks off people in work....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:41 am

i think the strict pedigree of quality intended for this thread has been loosened a bit over the last four pages..

Transformers? a CLASSIC?

i'm talkin about movies that will be on the AFI's Top 100 List in 2048 (or, hell, 2098)
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:55 am

NSpan wrote:i think the strict pedigree of quality intended for this thread has been loosened a bit over the last four pages..

Transformers? a CLASSIC?

i'm talkin about movies that will be on the AFI's Top 100 List in 2048 (or, hell, 2098)

We might consider only one or two movies then (especially for the 2098 version when film will now be interactive holograms, etc). Not sure what I'd pick... but if it was only one I might go with 'Memento.'
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:05 am

ha, perhaps 2098 is stretching it.. but my idea was to try to predict what will be considered the next Citizen Kane or Godfather.. if that's a bit too picky, how about the next Maltese Falcon, Rebecca, or Harvey.. or to open it up a bit more, what movies are even going to be remembered in 50 or 100 years?

Last edited by NSpan on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 am; edited 2 times in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:06 am

I'll throw Sunshine into the ring, I think it will age very, very well. I'll think of some others soon.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:09 am

I still say There Will Be Blood will be up there fighting it out with the top 5. The last time a movie was as good as There will be Blood was the S List in 93' by Spielberg. I'm doubting that Pootie Tang will even be a nominee, although House Party was for the top 100 laughs.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:12 am

Oh Tranny, you diabolical prankster you!
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:13 am

NSpan wrote:or to open it up a bit more, what movies are even going to be remembered in 50 or 100 years?

That's a difficult one, because some of the worst movies are remembered just because they made a lot of money, where as smaller films which may be very influential on filmmakers or just plain brilliant are not remembered. Can you honestly say the general public even know what 8 1/2 is, and who directed it? Yet, I'm sure you'd class it as a classic. I very much doubt it
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 am

Ah, it'll be Titanic and The Dark Knight then.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:27 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
NSpan wrote:or to open it up a bit more, what movies are even going to be remembered in 50 or 100 years?

That's a difficult one, because some of the worst movies are remembered just because they made a lot of money, where as smaller films which may be very influential on filmmakers or just plain brilliant are not remembered. Can you honestly say the general public even know what 8 1/2 is, and who directed it? Yet, I'm sure you'd class it as a classic. I very much doubt it
that's a good point.. i guess i'm talking about a slightly more particular crowd than Joe Public.. 8 1/2 has over 23,000 votes on IMDB and sits at #151 on the top 250... but, you're right in saying that general awareness of it (and movies like it) is diminishing..

the people that view film as art (or, at least, something slightly above pure entertainment) is a niche audience in itself.. i imagine a very small percentage of the overall population has ever actually seen any of the following 12 Angry Men, Sunset Blvd., M, or Double Indemnity (heck, a bunch of us haven't seen some of those), but aren't they regarded as "classics"?

hell, i bet most people haven't seen all three Citizen Kane, Casablanca, AND Gone With the Wind... if we can't agree that those are "bonafide classics"--we might need to seriously reconsider our definitions

check out the segment from 2:39 to 3:39

Last edited by NSpan on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:33 am

That was exactly my point (and I am still yet to see 12 Angry Men of those films listed, is that on the Movie Club shortlist yet? I nominate it if not). So I guess we should be looking at this as if we were the board members of the AFI (except most of us are not as old, well bar Shryke and Keyser), but take movies out of the US into consideration too.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:40 am

silversurfer19 wrote:That was exactly my point (and I am still yet to see 12 Angry Men of those films listed, is that on the Movie Club shortlist yet? I nominate it if not).
as a matter of fact, it IS on the shortlist

So I guess we should be looking at this as if we were the board members of the AFI (except most of us are not as old, well bar Shryke and Keyser), but take movies out of the US into consideration too.
exactly
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:30 am

NSpan wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:

that's a good point.. i guess i'm talking about a slightly more particular crowd than Joe Public.. 8 1/2 has over 23,000 votes on IMDB and sits at #151 on the top 250... but, you're right in saying that general awareness of it (and movies like it) is diminishing..

the people that view film as art (or, at least, something slightly above pure entertainment) is a niche audience in itself.. i imagine a very small percentage of the overall population has ever actually seen any of the following 12 Angry Men, Sunset Blvd., M, or Double Indemnity (heck, a bunch of us haven't seen some of those), but aren't they regarded as "classics"?

hell, i bet most people haven't seen all three Citizen Kane, Casablanca, AND Gone With the Wind... if we can't agree that those are "bonafide classics"--we might need to seriously reconsider our definitions

To prove your point... I haven't seen a single film mentioned in this post. I have however, seen Dude Where's My Car?, and I own it, and I love it.

If 12 angry Men is available to watch on Netflix online, can someone give me there log in info, because I'd really like to watch it.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:40 am

If I can have any impression on you at all Geez, I'd get hold of a copy of Double Indemnity, one of the greatest pieces of film of all time. In fact, probably the best noir film ever made.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:42 am

Best Film Noir.... Agreed! We should do a poll for best of each genre of all time....
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:42 am

Don't get W started.....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm

I really dont think There Will Be Blood will be remembred its boring as shit. Anyway the only reason i even brought up Transformers was because i think it will be remembered as the special-effects heavy masterpiece of this decade much like Independence Day was from the 90's.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 pm

Yeah but Tranny, since when has "boring as shit" ever disqualified anything from the list of greatest movies? Have you seen the AFI list? I think about 60% of it could be qualified as "boring as shit." Those people don't care about storyline or entertainment. They watch a movie and say "Wow, look at that awesome tracking shot!"

And this is why they fail.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:30 pm

NSpan wrote:

I have seen all except Sunset Blvd and Double Indemnity and of those M, Kane, and 12 Angry Men are all on my personal top 100. I take it I need to see Double Indemnity ASAP???

geezer9687 wrote:
If 12 angry Men is available to watch on Netflix online, can someone give me there log in info, because I'd really like to watch it.

I checked and it is not available for Instant Watch. I would gladly let you use my account to watch movies. If you ever need to use it for the movie club, let me know. Actually that goes for anybody...
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 am

geezer9687 wrote:Yeah but Tranny, since when has "boring as shit" ever disqualified anything from the list of greatest movies? Have you seen the AFI list? I think about 60% of it could be qualified as "boring as shit." Those people don't care about storyline or entertainment. They watch a movie and say "Wow, look at that awesome tracking shot!"

And this is why they fail.

Very well said geez. I am glad someone agrees with me on the AFI. They are fucking snobs.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:19 am

I always thought film noir just means a movie is in black and white and has a detective who's referred to as a "gumshoe", and there's some blonde (always blonde) bombshell who usually had something to do with the murder at the center of the movie.

And the gumshoe always has to wear a fedora.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next