The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

+11
Keyser Soze
Donte77
brockman81
becs
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
geezer9687
NSpan
JackO
packpaljs
Buscemi
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly Empty Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:31 am

Well, the decade is winding down and many popular movies from it will be remembered as classics (such as The Dark Knight, the Lord Of The Rings series and Brokeback Mountain). But many of those popular films will age poorly and be heckled or forgotten in the realms of time. Here, I will list of a few films that I think will age poorly. Everyone is invited to join in.

Crash (2005)- Yes, I actually liked Crash when I initally saw it in theatres. I haven't seen it since then so the whole "this film is racist" thing is lost on him. However, I do feel that Brokeback Mountain should have won the Academy Award over it. Meanwhile, I believe that it will age because of the backlash and scorn that the film has gotten since that ceremony and because people just don't seem to care about the film anymore. By the way, did you ever realize how many Scientologists worked on the film?

Juno (2007)- This film will age quickly due to the fact that Diablo Cody's screenplay (which somehow won an Academy Award over better screenplays such as Ratatouille) uses so many slang terms that you would need to have Urban Dictionary on hand to tell you what half of the screenplay actually means. Meanwhile because of the fact that new slang terms are created everyday and some are retired, many people still won't know what the fuck the characters are talking about because these slang terms have aged. Also, the emo clique will have died in five years in the same way that the New Wave clique died so that's another strike against Juno's aging process.

300 (2007)- When the film came out, it became this decade's Top Gun in terms of appeal towards men and its spectacular action sequences. People also loved its CGI-styled backgrounds and visual effects. But also like Top Gun, people are already laughing at the film's bad aging and its supposed homoerotic overtones. Meanwhile the films that parodied 300, Meet The Spartans and 305, have aged even worse than 300 due to the fact that they were universally reviled and because they took a brief phenomenon and turned it into one really long bad joke.

Those are three rather long reasons but I don't want to bore you so I will just make a list the rest of the way:
Dude, Where's My Car? (2000)
The Fast and The Furious Series (2001, 2003, 2006, 2009)
xXx (2002)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
Brick (2006)
The Foot Fist Way (2006)
The ...Movie Series (2006-2008, this may be the rare case of a film aging before it came out)
I Love You, Man (2009)
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly Empty Re: Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

Post by packpaljs Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 am

I love this topic, I always try to watch a movie as how it will be viewed in 5 years or 25 years, etc.

However I disagree with you on The Dark Knight, It will lose it's coolness and be viewed similar to how the first batman is viewed now.

Some blockbusters I think will age poorly are
Slumdog Millionaire
All 3 Mummies
10,000 B.C.
The Simpsons Movie (Totally Generation movie)
Ghost Rider
X-Men 3
Superman Returns
Mr. & Mrs. Smith, throw Wanted in there as well
Both Fantastic Four movies
Meet the Fockers
The Day After Tomorrow
Troy
Van Helsing and all 3 Underworlds
Matrix 2 & 3
S.W.A.T
All the Spy Kids Movies
Daddy Day Care
Both Charlie Angels Movies
Austin Powers 3
Men in Black II
Die Another Day
Tomb Raiders
What Women Want
The Perfect Storm
The Nutty Professor II
The Patriot
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly Empty This topic should really be named "films you don't like and don't understand why other people like them."

Post by JackO Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:04 am

Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Hello Forrest Gump!)
Milk (The documentary was better)
The Wrestler (Okay, Mickey did well, what else?)
Rachel Getting Married (Anne Hathaway did well but award shows shut out entire film)
Burn After Reading (Coen's go popcorn)
Iron Man (OMG! They didn't mess up a comic book film!)
Step Brothers (Man child comedy has run it's course)
Sin City (The Spirit showed Miller was a hack as I predicted Sin City 2 is in pre-production hell because of it.)
Watchmen (Legs tell the tale on that one)
Spiderman 3
Pirates of the Caribbean series
Star Trek
Terminator: Salvation
Fast and Furious series
The Reader
The Day the Earth Stood Still remake (They included the orignal in the DVD package, nuff said.)
Bolt
Quantum of Solace
Brokeback Mountain
Harry Potter series
Shrek series
Pearl Harbor
Ice Age series
Austin Powers series
Kill Bill series
XXX series
American Pie series
Million Dollar Baby
Star Wars 1-3
Prince Caspian
King Kong
War of the Worlds
Bourne series
Transformers 1&2
Ratatouille
Cars
Happy Feet
Superbad
Ocean's series
Atonement
Michael Clayton
Gran Torino
The Departed
Babel
Munich
Capote
Aviator
Seabiscuit
Master and Commander
Gladiator
Lost in Translation
A Beautiful Mind
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly Empty Re: Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 am

You picked a movie that hasn't even opened yet? Sounds like a grudge.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 am

I think Jacko has picked every blockbuster from 2000 to 2009...
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:10 am

while i disagree with a bunch of the movies JackO listed, he at least bothered to throw some titles out there that aren't already considered crap

i mean, did we really need hindsight to realize that The Nutty Professor II was atrocious?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 am

Buscemi wrote:You picked a movie that hasn't even opened yet? Sounds like a grudge.

Hahahahahah that just made my night considering the fact that your whole list was just an excuse to bash films that you don't like. On second thought, that's pretty much what everyone's list is. It is like saying "I didn't like this movie, and in 10 years, none of you will either, but I'm cooler than you because I was ahead of the curve."

Let's let time tell us what movies will or will not age well. And don't post movies that are universally considered bad in a "this won't age well" thread. If they are already bad, its not aging, its just not good.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:27 am

Geez, I actually liked Crash, 300, Me and You and Everyone We Know, Dude, Where's My Car?, Napoleon Dynamite and xXx. I included them because they are clearly products of their decade and therefore they won't age well. For example, xXx is obviously a product of the extreme sports craze of the early 2000's. It was also an attempt to create a new James Bond-esque character, which failed due to Vin Diesel not wanting to do a sequel and because the Bourne series did a better job of creating a new James Bond-type character. In 2002, the film was seen as a cool action film with things we hadn't seen before. In 2009, it's just "eh". Especially since we got two Bourne sequels that were more extreme that any moment from xXx.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:29 am

I thought Triple X pretty much sucked from the get go, just like everything else Vin Diesel has made after Saving Private Ryan.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 am

Keep in mind that I was twelve when I saw it.

However, I hated the "sequel" State Of The Union. Stupid idea to make one without Diesel or Argento and the numerous references to World War IV came off as laughable since World War III never started (in fact I was reminded about State Of The Union while watching tonight's Family Guy when Peter mentioned World War V, a war so powerful that World War III and World War IV can be skipped altogether).

But luckily due to the failure of State Of The Union, xXx 3 was never made. That one would have had the new agent face pirates in Africa. A dumb plotline if there ever was one and it's only made worse because the screenplay was written by top hack writer Simon Kinberg.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am

Buscemi wrote:Keep in mind that I was twelve when I saw it.
good point.. i'm pretty sure xXx was crap to begin with.. realizing it is probably more a matter of you maturing than the movie itself becoming "dated"
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 am

But remember the attempt to create the ultimate extreme sports movie also dates it. Back in 2002, extreme sports were huge but now it's not as big.

I'd say that they declined when Tony Hawk retired.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 am

Buscemi wrote:
Juno (2007)- This film will age quickly due to the fact that Diablo Cody's screenplay (which somehow won an Academy Award over better screenplays such as Ratatouille) uses so many slang terms that you would need to have Urban Dictionary on hand to tell you what half of the screenplay actually means. Meanwhile because of the fact that new slang terms are created everyday and some are retired, many people still won't know what the fuck the characters are talking about because these slang terms have aged. Also, the emo clique will have died in five years in the same way that the New Wave clique died so that's another strike against Juno's aging process.

This is what I don't get about people who hated Juno. Why do they always go straight to the "ohh, the dialogue is atrocious and wtf is Honest to Blog"? Now, I can't speak for everyone, but as someone who really liked Juno, I can say that nobody loved it due to it's "snarky" and "witty" (sarcasm) dialogue, it's the story that won it it's much deserved Best Original Screenplay Oscar. The performances (specifically from Ellen Page, Jennifer Garner, & Jason Bateman) are terrific. I think that much-hated dialogue is all within the first 15 minutes of the movie, but if you continue to watch it, it settles in a bit and forgets all that stupid shit that retarded tweens seemed to love so much.

Besides, everyone's lists seems to just read what movies they hated.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 pm

"films you don't like and don't understand why other people like them."

haha, at least your being honest jacko. but did you really not like any of those films you listed? Also you're probably right about most, but maybe not a few.

I heard xXx 3 is being written
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:

It was written. It was going to feature the next xXx agent facing pirates. But it was thankfully shelved after State Of The Union's disappointing box office.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:26 pm

No, I read an interview of diesel's when he was doing press for Fast and Furious, and he said they were working on a third XXX and also another Riddick film and directing Hannibal or something, that was a few weeks ago
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm

A third Riddick? But wasn't The Chronicles Of Riddick a big enough disaster to put that series on hold?

Meanwhile, the only way a third film could work is to make one without Riddick. Set it before Pitch Black and focus it on Fry's crew. Bring back Radha Mitchell, Cole Hauser and Keith David in their roles and only feature Vin Diesel in a cameo at the end to tie things together.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:25 pm

packpaljs wrote:I love this topic, I always try to watch a movie as how it will be viewed in 5 years or 25 years, etc.

However I disagree with you on The Dark Knight, It will lose it's coolness and be viewed similar to how the first batman is viewed now.

Some blockbusters I think will age poorly are
Slumdog Millionaire
All 3 Mummies
10,000 B.C.
The Simpsons Movie (Totally Generation movie)
Ghost Rider
X-Men 3
Superman Returns
Mr. & Mrs. Smith, throw Wanted in there as well
Both Fantastic Four movies
Meet the Fockers
The Day After Tomorrow
Troy
Van Helsing and all 3 Underworlds
Matrix 2 & 3
S.W.A.T
All the Spy Kids Movies
Daddy Day Care
Both Charlie Angels Movies
Austin Powers 3
Men in Black II
Die Another Day
Tomb Raiders
What Women Want
The Perfect Storm
The Nutty Professor II
The Patriot

Listing off every mediocre/bad blockbuster in recent film history doesn't really do anything for this topic... We all know they won't age well because they have already failed to age well or be well received in the first place. The only film with even the remotest merit there is Slumdog, which I doubt will keep up the level of steam it has now, but I don't think it will be regarded lowly overtime, just less popular.

I will jump out on a limb here and say WALL-E. It is far too narrowly focused to our current day and age. Unlike for example Finding Nemo which will be fun for kids for years to come, I think WALL-E failed to keep a generic "moral of the story" and with such an emphasis on things that are current affairs, it won't age well a decade or more from now.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:31 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:
"films you don't like and don't understand why other people like them."

haha, at least your being honest jacko. but did you really not like any of those films you listed? Also you're probably right about most, but maybe not a few.

The funny thing I actually own a lot of the films I listed, like Rachel Getting Married, the Oceans series, the Kill Bill series, and The Wrestler.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by brockman81 Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:19 pm

Buscemi wrote:

But also like Top Gun, people are already laughing at the film's bad aging and its supposed homoerotic overtones.

I don't agree with this...as I think it's your personal opinion...but there are many, ahem, "people" who think this movie is a classic and love it for what it is, a cheesy 80's action movie that's fun to watch and pretty darn entertaining...

Edit: Busc your only 18??? Ok, I think that explains your hate for Top Gun...if you weren't born yet when it came out I can see why you wouldn't like a movie like Top Gun...but for those of us who watched the movie at the time it came out I think it's a little more well received.
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by brockman81 Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Now on to the movies I think will fade away in the future:

-Slumdog "Millon-aire"...LOL, I still chuckle at the way that guy says it in the movie.

-I Am Legend, Hancock, and a host of other Will Smith action movies

- Spider Man 1, 2, and 3

-Xmen 3

-Prince Caspian

-Pirates 2 and 3

-Hulk (non Norton)

-Every Adam Sandler comedy

That's all I can come up w/ off the top of my head.
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 pm

I am not sure if a cult hit can age badly. Movies like Rocky Horror and Flash Gordon were not great movies to begin with and their aging only helps their case. Similarly I feel that Napoleon and Borat will age well because of their cult movie status.
What will not age well is special effects laden movies that don't quite cut it, like Ghost Rider, 300, or 10,000 BC. While I like 300 and Ghost Rider (as much as a comic geek can like a marvel movie that sucks), they will not be watchable in 2020.
I don't think good drama or thrillers can age badly, or at least not as easily. Look at movies like All the President's Men, Rear Window, or Forrest Gump. All old or older and still awesome when watched decades later.
I think Busci has a point with Juno however. The slang used will age the movie very badly. A similar situation happened with me when I re-watched the movie Phantasm recently. I had loved this movie as a young teen but after watching it, I culdn't stand it. The FX were horrible and the dialogue was atrocious. 70's slang did not hold up and I think Juno's will fair no better. While I don't hate it like Buscemi does, I thought the movie was very over-rated and I think Ellen Page needs to try to not be a smart mouthed teenager for once. She is in her 20s now so maybe she will stop playing the same character in every movie.

I really disagree about the Bourne Films. I think they will age well and be the standard by which espionage thrillers are done.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:48 pm

This thread is kinda pointless. most movies wont age well, except the true classics. I mean there are hundreds of films in other decades that a lot of us havent even heard of. Most films released are relevant to their time, they are made to make money here and now, not twenty years later.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 pm

packpaljs wrote:I love this topic, I always try to watch a movie as how it will be viewed in 5 years or 25 years, etc.

But do you watch movies from 5 to 25 years ago, and try to imagine how it was viewed then?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:

But do you watch movies from 5 to 25 years ago, and try to imagine how it was viewed then?

Absoultley, tis why I can enjoy classics such as Frankenstein and Draucla, not scary now, but seeing these charcaters for the first time on a big screen 75 years ago would have terrified me. You can't enjoy a movie like The Big Chill unless you see it from two era's, the early 80's when the movie was made and the 70's when all the characters went to college. I always give older movies the benefit of the doubt, but I can't on newer movies. They should learn from everything before it, but sometimes they still get things so wrong.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next