The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film? (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone)

+7
J.I.
NSpan
Buscemi
W
BanksIsDaFuture
brockman81
Shrykespeare
11 posters

Go down

Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film?  (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone) Empty Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film? (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone)

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:23 am

Okay, taking the suggestion of someone (you know who), I have taken it upon myself to start a thread for this potential mega-blockbuster. I'll start out with a few random topics:

1. Will you see this movie, and why?
2. Who do you think your favorite character will be?
3. Will it outgross last March's big animated hit, Horton Hears a Who? How about Kung Fu Panda?
4. What do you think its final stats will be?

For me, I will definitely see this film. I desperately want to see it in 3-D, because (1) I've never seen a 3-D film, due in large part to the fact that I don't live anywhere near a theater with 3-D capabilities, that I know of, and (2) I understand that the difference between seeing this film in 3-D instead of 2-D is like the difference between night and day. For this, it might be worth driving the extra 10-15 miles. Plus, it's got Seth Rogen and Hugh Laurie in it.

I can't wait to hear Greg House voice a giant cockroach with the "bwahahaha" mad scientiest laugh, but I fully expect Seth Rogen's "BOB the blob" to be the best character. There's just so much room for Rogen to do his stuff, and he is the perfect voice for the character. And it just keeps going: Stephen Colbert as the President (yeah!!), Kiefer Sutherland as the hard-ass general, and Rainn Wilson as the evil Galaxar. Dude, that's some seriously awesome casting.

$200 million? Definitely possible. That would put it ahead of Horton ($152M or so), but it would take about $215M to top Kung Fu Panda, which may be a stretch.

I think it will finish with $195 million, 13 Top 5, six PTA and a User Rating of 7.9. Well worth it for $33.

Let the debate begin! (And no Watchmen references, lest you-know-who slap you silly with a large freshwater fish.) Twisted Evil
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film?  (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone) Empty Re: Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film? (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone)

Post by brockman81 Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 am

What kind of prick would make a suggustion like that? OH wait...ummm..

I'm def. going to see this movie, the booby joke in one of the trailers had me hooked. And I agree, Seth Rogan's character should be the best one. Like I stated in the other thread (by the way, thanks Shryke for starting this) I would say somewhere around 230-240 million. There are a few reasons that I think this movie will do so well:

1. I really think Seth Rogan will bring a lot of the stoner/Pineapple Express/R-rated comedy crowd into the theaters for this one. So I'm talking the teenage and 20 somethings male crowd who don't have kids. He's about as bankable as it gets right now.

2. There isn't much competition out there for it to go against. Hannah MOntana may take away some of the teenage girls, but after the Jonas Brothers flop I'm wondering if those fans are growing up and realizing how retarded the Hannah Montana/Jonas Bros/Camp Rock shit really is...at least that's what I'm hoping Twisted Evil

3. Kind of on the same level as #1, but I think this movie is really geared to get adults into the movie as well...it seems like there will be adult humor thrown in there.

4. 3-D is really going to help this movie, although I feel like it would have been a hit without it too.

5. My god are they marketing the shit out of this movie. Almost to the point where I want to say.."For fucks sake, I'm already going to see this damn movie!!! Damn you Office Max, can't I come in and buy a new ink cartridge without you having to throw this shit in my face!" I mean seriously, Office Max? Really? Have they ever promoted a movie before? (****off topic brilliant moment that never happened....Why didn't Office Max promote the movie Office Space? Would have seemed brilliant to me. THey could have sold red staplers for $10 a pop and made millions!!! Idiots....) Ok, sorry....

Anyway, this movie better do well...I have it on almost all my slates...if it flops I'm going to throw my computer out of the fourth floor window of the office i work in and follow it out, red stapler in hand...

Estimates: 235 M, 14 top 5, 8 PTA, 8.1 imdb
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film?  (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone) Empty Re: Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film? (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone)

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:29 am

I think it's a general consensus that MvA will continue Dreamworks' hot streak (after Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar 2). I can it hitting $200 million and still being in the Top 10 by the time Wolverine hits. I mean, if the truly awful Horton Hears A Who can hit $150 in the same slot with only Jim Carrey and Steve Carell....

Come on, Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogen, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Colbert, Will Arnett, Kiefer Sutherland, Rainn Wilson, Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler, Renee Zellweger, John Krasinski....everyone has their own little niche fans that'll bring them to this.

I think the most quoted character will be BOB, I mean he's the basis of most of the trailers. And I cannot wait to see it, I'll probably end up going 2 or 3 times.

And like Brockman said, the marketing for this is ridiculous. Dreamworks always do their movies justice in the promotion department.

I'm glad I used this as an anchor for most of my slates Laughing
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 am

I'm really happy that I dropped Watchmen for this film (can I say that)? I will be taking my kid to see it. 3D will definately help this movie in all catagories. I have my doubts about every single movie of April except one or two smaller titles, so this thing could completely demolish the month.

T5: It will pick up at least 9 T5 points in the first two weeks, and I don't see how it doesn't pick up at least five more after that. Hell, it could win 3 weeks in a row if a few films don't do as expected, though I doubt it.

PTA: The higher prices of 3D really helps here. 5 PTA are almost assured the first weekend unless something that already opened shoots up. The next weekend it should net at least three. It will approach double digits here as well.

Let's say $199 M, 15 T5, 8 PTA, and a User Rating between 7.8 and 8.1.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:47 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I mean, if the truly awful Horton Hears A Who can hit $150 in the same slot with only Jim Carrey and Steve Carell....

Hey, don't be disparaging my former avatar. I thought that movie was hilarious, much more so than I thought going in. And gee, Seth Rogen was in that movie too....
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:51 am

1. Will you see this movie, and why?
Yes, I will see it since it does look good but you never know which DreamWorks will show up, the good, story ahead of actors, first Shrek and Kung Fu Panda DreamWorks or the bad, "our script is shit but will cast as many good actors as possible", Antz and Shark Tale DreamWorks.

2. Who do you think your favorite character will be?
B.O.B, since he is a sci-fi oriented ripoff of Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

3. Will it outgross last March's big animated hit, Horton Hears a Who? How about Kung Fu Panda?
It should outgross Horton but not Kung Fu Panda, since Kung Fu Panda opened in the summer.

4. What do you think its final stats will be?
16 Top 5 points, 12 PTA points, $205 million and 7.4 IMDb rating
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:08 am

Shrykespeare wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I mean, if the truly awful Horton Hears A Who can hit $150 in the same slot with only Jim Carrey and Steve Carell....

Hey, don't be disparaging my former avatar. I thought that movie was hilarious, much more so than I thought going in. And gee, Seth Rogen was in that movie too....

Well, I fell asleep on and off throughout it when I went to see in the theater, but the parts I did see were pretty terrible. Something about Who-Space, was it?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 am

just got home from my second viewing of Watchmen... 75% of the (perceived) flaws I found the first time around are resolved having seen it twice.. fuckin great movie.. of the remaining problems, 75% of those are straight out of the comic book--and, therefore, Alan Moore's "fault".. (whether or not Snyder should've compromised the integrity of the adaptation in order to resolve these issues can be left up to the masses.. though, personally, i think Snyder could've justifiably further altered Moore's vision in order to make it work better in a live-action format).. i'm starting to think that Snyder's change to the ending, at least in this film as it is, is an improvement upon the story
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Yes, I will definately see it, and in IMAX 3D.
Favorite character will be BOB.
It will probably just outgross Horton Hears a Who, and you can forget about it outgrossing Kung Fu Panda. The box office is starting to become dead right now.
50/160

EDIT: And I already made a thread for this movie a while ago.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:26 pm

J.I. I completely agree with you. Read my post on the tracking thread.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by brockman81 Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Thank you Geez and JI:

Monsters vs. Aliens: The Biggest pre-May 2009 film?  (Warning: This is a "Watchmen"-free zone) Debbie_Downer
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm

NSpan wrote:just got home from my second viewing of Watchmen

What a DICK! Smile

LOL

I will be seeing this movie and since I have not been a fan of this genre of film that is saying something. I think it will do very well and the 3D numbers will only help.

I am thinking- 194 Mil (with a 60-65) OW, 12 Top 5, 8 PTA, and a 7.5-8 IMDB
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:55 am

i will proably see it on DVD. Yes it will outgross Horton Hears A Who [slightly] and no way it will outgross Kung Fu Panda. Fave character i will decide that when i see it Very Happy I am thinking 55/160 for Bo Gross
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:01 am

Hey check this out. Bailed-out Bank of America is paying people to se MvA in 3D!

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/whaaat-bailed-out-bank-of-america-paying-for-consumers-to-see-hollywood-toon/

And what's stupid is that that wouldn't even help its box office gross, just get them in trouble.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:14 am

1. Will you see this movie, and why? Yeah, hopefully in 3D.. I loved my first 3D experiece with Coraline and want to have that much fun again.

2. Who do you think your favorite character will be? Probably B.O.B. Rogen has got a knack for comedic timing.

3. Will it outgross last March's big animated hit, Horton Hears a Who? How about Kung Fu Panda? I think it will defintely outgross Horton but no way it gets the near 220M of Panda. It's won't have the benefit of summer weekdays.

. What do you think its final stats will be? 63/189
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:41 am

J.I. wrote:Hey check this out. Bailed-out Bank of America is paying people to se MvA in 3D!

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/whaaat-bailed-out-bank-of-america-paying-for-consumers-to-see-hollywood-toon/

And what's stupid is that that wouldn't even help its box office gross, just get them in trouble.

Wooooooow. This is outrageous, Bank of America helped pay for that retarded $9 million 3D commercial during the Super Bowl.

But, if I didn't see my movies for free, I'd take advantage of that coupon.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 am

J.I. wrote:Hey check this out. Bailed-out Bank of America is paying people to se MvA in 3D!

...and the Republicans hack into Deadline Hollywood Daily the same way they did when Leatherheads flopped in theatres.

And to think that would never happen again.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:

Wooooooow. This is outrageous, Bank of America helped pay for that retarded $9 million 3D commercial during the Super Bowl.

But, if I didn't see my movies for free, I'd take advantage of that coupon.

I'm taking advantage. That's my bank. I got to support them somehow jocolor or maybe they should be supporting to me . . .Vote Libertarian!

(Haha political science joke)
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:12 am

I'd rather take advantage of the "Student Stimulus Package" that some theatres do. Buy a ticket and get popcorn for a reduced fee or for free. It's a win-win situation.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:20 am

Yeah what's the point of the 3D if the ticket prices won't be higher?
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down