The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday, Geezer!

+14
donnie
IPKI$$
numbersix_99
geezer9687
transformers2
SuperShaan
mfrendo
BarcaRulz
W
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Happy Birthday, Geezer! - Page 3 Empty Re: Happy Birthday, Geezer!

Post by mfrendo Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:09 am

AFI is a nineties band. I think he was stating bands that started in the 2000's. If not, then Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, etc. would have to be included as well.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:37 am

But A.F.I didn't become as prominent really until the 00s.

Oh...You like that kind of punk. Okay.

That wasn't meant to be condescending...I love Rancid, and Dropkick Murphys have some awesome songs, but they're not something I listen to enough to really have an opinion either way, just identifying your tastes.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:22 am

My tastes are pretty all over the map. The Murphys put on one of the most fun shows out there. Of course, it's Irish punk, so i had a bottle of wine on the walk up to the venue, then a few jack and coke's while there : ).

Otherwise, I don't listen to as much punk as before. Mainly the one's listed, then The Clash, Ramones, Television, etc. I do like Rise Against, as far as newer stuff.

Other than that, I've been listening to a lot of Skynyrd and Def Jux rap, like Cage and El-P.

And I see what you mean about AFI, but they also didn't get big until their fifth album or so...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:35 am

Exactly, before the art of drowning they pretty much sounded like every other punk band, personally I think sing the sorrow might be one of the greatest cds recorded period.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26 am

For the most part I do think alot of the bands mentioned will be forgotten in the years to come, of those listed so far I think probably RHCP and Justin Timberlake are mostly likely to do so. Personally I can't stand Timberlake's music, but there is no way to deny his skill.
Some not mentioned that I think probably will make it are Muse and System of a Down/Serj.
I also have mentioned this before but I do continue to hold that My Chemical Romance is this era's Queen, I wish more people would get past their emo look and listen to the music.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 am

My Chemical Romance shouldn't have covered Desolation Row. What was Zach Snyder thinking?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 am

I heard one MCR cd and liked some of it. I think it was their first.

I liked Sing the Sorrow alot too. The video for Silver and Cold was sick! I think I liked Art of Drowning better, tho it took me a while to really get into it. Did you ever hear their cover of the Misfits "Halloween" off the All Hollows Eve EP? It was really cool too. Unfortunately, Decemberunderground only had a couple songs I liked. And what was up with the intro on that disc? Sounded like they were trying to do 50 Cent or something.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Happy Birthday Geez.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:49 am

[edited by music fascists]

Last edited by NSpan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:14 am

When its all said and done, you'd put every one of those up there with The Stones, Hendrix, et al? Even WEEN?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:27 am

Hendrix? shit, in terms of lyrics and songwriting, ESPECIALLY Ween
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 am

mfrendo wrote:AFI is a nineties band. I think he was stating bands that started in the 2000's. If not, then Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, etc. would have to be included as well.

Yes Frendo you would be correct because the Dropkicks and Rancid are great. Flogging Molly is pretty good im not crazy about them but they are solid.

Also MCR is nowhere near as bad as they are portrayed to be. A.F.I's ninties shit is good but their last 2 albums have sucked major ass.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 am

NSpan wrote:anyway, i consider all on this list as bands that are "making good modern music".. much of it GREAT modern music.. and even some that will be revered amongst the all-time greats..
W wrote:When its all said and done, you'd put every one of those up there with The Stones, Hendrix, et al? Even WEEN?
NSpan wrote:anyway, i consider all on this list as bands that are "making good modern music".. much of it GREAT modern music.. and even some that will be revered amongst the all-time greats..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 am

A while ago I listed a series of bands which I consider the best and most important which are still relevant today. Now considering W is attempting to find the ABSOLUTE cream by comparing them to Hendrix et al, I would probably list these bands who I seriously believe will be recognised as amazingly influential talents in 20 years time:

Arcade Fire
Blur
Bjork
Beck
Manic Street Preachers
The Mars Volta
Nine Inch Nails
Portishead
Radiohead
R.E.M
Smashing Pumpkins
Sonic Youth
U2

Now they may never reach Hendrix's lofty height of acclaim, but then not many are. Even the likes of The Smiths and Joy Division are not that well known (unfairly in my opinion). However, I'm pretty sure these bands will be well remembered and revered in times to come.

EDIT: Oh, and Happy Birthday Geez!
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:26 am

I'm going to go back and edit every post on this thread dealing with music and put

"I Like GOOD MUSIC, You like CRAP"

Because basically, that seems like all that is being said here. In reality, the best music is whatever you like to listen to. Some people hate the Beatles, others consider that blasphemy. To say that anyone is definitively better than anyone else is to say "I am king, all others must bow before me. I know all." You can't force something to sound good to someone else's ears. I know that people on here think that Slayer is an awesome band. Listening to them makes me want to cut my own ears off its so bad. You can debate talent and melodies and what will stand out and what will fade away all you want but really, who cares what some music geek historian is going to say about these bands 30 years from now? I don't care that my favorite artists will never be recognized on a historical level. All I care about is that in 30 years, I will still be able to put on a song that I love and listen to it and have a smile on my face. And when you really think about it, I bet you would all agree with me. And that, to me, is music, in a nutshell.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 am

geezer9687 wrote:I'm going to go back and edit every post on this thread dealing with music and put

"I Like GOOD MUSIC, You like CRAP"

Because basically, that seems like all that is being said here. In reality, the best music is whatever you like to listen to. Some people hate the Beatles, others consider that blasphemy. To say that anyone is definitively better than anyone else is to say "I am king, all others must bow before me. I know all." You can't force something to sound good to someone else's ears. I know that people on here think that Slayer is an awesome band. Listening to them makes me want to cut my own ears off its so bad. You can debate talent and melodies and what will stand out and what will fade away all you want but really, who cares what some music geek historian is going to say about these bands 30 years from now? I don't care that my favorite artists will never be recognized on a historical level. All I care about is that in 30 years, I will still be able to put on a song that I love and listen to it and have a smile on my face. And when you really think about it, I bet you would all agree with me. And that, to me, is music, in a nutshell.

Yeah, let's not debate the subject of what will be considered genius in 20 years. That's a stupid thing to say. It's not like that's a large part of what we do on this site in relation to film or anything. We NEVER do anything like that. :roll:

You can think what you think and I'll think what I think, but you can't tell me that debating is something stupid or you wouldn't be doing it. If you don't like to debate about it, please just don't.

Personally, I don't see how Cash can be topped in country, considering the country stations nowadays play pop that's supposed to be country. I don't see how the greats from the 60's (and around there) are going to be topped. I'm not really counting the bands that I grew up with, though I don't think they come too close either. I wish someone would give me some hope and let me in on some good gosh-derned stuff that I'd love and is current.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 am

I think you have a little too much nostalgia for the old times,W. There were plenty of dross around in the 60s and 70s, but because the most famous acts were innovative for their time they are heralded as geniuses. I'm quite sure that if some of the bands around now were around then, they too would be held in the same esteem we hold our current legends. I'm not suggesting that the likes of Dylan, Hendrix, Cash etc were not the top of their field, just that over the course of time it is easy to place an act on a pedestal and believe no-one will ever come close, even if they are creating something entirely brilliant.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:01 am

In ten years, Kid Rock will be considered a joke. Oh wait a minute, he already is a joke.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:02 am

I wasn't saying there wasn't any dross (I had to look that up, though I kind of got what you meant) back then, just that (for the most part) the best music was played back then.

Nirvana was innovative and they are held on a pedastal. Very few 90's bands have as of now. I just wanted to know what bands will be held on that Nirvana, Stones, Aerosmith pedastal in the future. I really would like to know so that I can look into them.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:03 am

Buscemi wrote:In ten years, Kid Rock will be considered a joke. Oh wait a minute, he already is a joke.

I actually liked 90% of his first album, but since he can't write music anymore and will only put lyrics to other people's songs, it kind of ruined that...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

You say you like to debate W, but basically it always just comes across as "I'm right, you're wrong, and I'm gonna be as big an asshole as I can telling you."

You keep saying "the greats of the 60's will never be topped" and shit like that. Why? Why won't they be topped? Because they are old, and everything was better in old times? What evidence is there that that is "better."

I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who's entire basis of what they know in music is what they hear on the radio, as you have very CLEARLY demonstrated, by bringing up what is played on radio in just about every post on music, and admitting that you have a very limited knowledge of what is actually out there. At least Surfer and NSpan put rational thought behind their posts, instead of just saying "Eh, music today sucks because we don't have 30 years of hindsight to make sure its good."

So I ask you. Please, tell me what it is that you consider "good," and how, in the thousands of artists creating music (much of which sounds a heck of a lot like it did back in those days) you don't like any of it. It really just seems like you are so pig-headed and set in your ways that you have a preconceived perception that if it wasn't made 30 years ago, it can't be good, because music historians haven't had time to tell you it was.

I don't know what happened in your life that it makes you feel better to come on the internet and preach like you are king of the world, but that is what you are doing. You don't debate. You don't present a case. You just preach your opinion as if it were fact. An opinion on a subject that can't be proven, although you talk as if it can, because your opinion can beat up mine, apparently.

Again, tell me why you think the way you do. And don't give me the argument that "It's still played today on the classic rock radio station, that means its got to be good!"

Its like arguing what's the best color. At the end of the day, there is no evidence to go on which is better, only what appeals to you more. That debate would be just as frivolous.

Modified: Ohhhhh so you liked Kid Rock... that explains everything. Nevermind. Even in a thread about my birthday you have to be an asshole

Last edited by geezer9687 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:16 am

In the 1960's, even the crap was good.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:19 am

Although no doubt Nirvana were a very good band, I kinda feel half of the acclaim they have received is because of Cobain's death. They would still have been an amazing band, but I don't think they would be seen as the band they are vieweed as today. Plus, they never had a long enough career to see if they could truly take it onto another level, or if the few albums they released were as good as they would ever get. We don't have the opportunity to see if they would have ever become a band which ran out of steam and relevance, and therefore perceived as a band that had their moments.

Again though, I feel nostalgia has hindered your view on older bands. I don't believe the best has already gone and forever after we will be seeing bands trying to match them, its just that music has evolved, and maybe innovation is not as easy to achieve until some new equipment is created or a new technique evolved. When Hendrix emerged in the later 60s, the electric guitar was only just taking off and he did things with it that had never been achieved before. I'm sure that if some of the best guitarists around today had been around then, they would have at least have received half the acclaim Hendrix does.

I think because they came first you see them as the best. The best can be improved upon.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 am

Buscemi wrote:In the 1960's, even the crap was good.

Certainly not the case. Try listening (if you dare) to Tiny Tim, Singing Nun, Herman's Hermits, Iron Butterfly, or The Toys. Off the top of my head they were all terrible.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 am

Herman's Hermits is a gulity pleasure of mine. And Living In The Sunlight, Loving In The Moonlight is one of my favorite bizarre songs.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next