The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

+11
Keyser Soze
Donte77
brockman81
becs
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
geezer9687
NSpan
JackO
packpaljs
Buscemi
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly - Page 2 Empty Re: Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

Post by brockman81 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Undead Monkey wrote:

This thread is kinda pointless

Thank you for shitting in our wheaties.
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly - Page 2 Empty Re: Movies From This Decade That You Think Will Age Poorly

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:09 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:This thread is kinda pointless. most movies wont age well, except the true classics. I mean there are hundreds of films in other decades that a lot of us havent even heard of. Most films released are relevant to their time, they are made to make money here and now, not twenty years later.

Which is exactly the perspective that most of you (Shryke and Donte excluded) do not possess. You guys do not have the ability to see al ot of these classic movies at the time they were relased. I remember reading on some thread here a while ago where some one or some group was just absolutely slamming Woody Allen movies in particular and Annie Hall in specific. For the time it was made, it was an absolutely amazing film, but without the proper persepctive to have been lving in that time, you will not understand that. The same thing can be said about Swingers. While many people found the Vaughn character annoying and his sayings like "Beautiful Babies" to be over the top, what you do not know is that is the lifestlye that Favreau and Vaughn were living at that time in their lives. Vaughn actually found it annoying when people kept coming up to him using that kind of language after the film was released. His response was something like, "Dude, that's the lifestyle we were living like 5 years ago. We don't act like that any more" The whole movie was based on their and their friend's lives when they first got to S. California and tried to make it big.

As the Monkey said, most films are relevant to their time, and without the perspective of experiencing the times of its release, it just may not be relatable to you.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 pm

brockman81 wrote:Undead Monkey wrote:

This thread is kinda pointless

Thank you for shitting in our wheaties.

sorry for passing it on, someone pissed in my cheerios silent

here let me try to make it up, this thread is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING *think barbershop quartet*
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by brockman81 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 pm

As the Monkey said, most films are relevant to their time, and without the perspective of experiencing the times of its release, it just may not be relatable to you.

Which was the exact point I was making about Top Gun to Buscemi.
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Which is exactly the perspective that most of you (Shryke and Donte excluded) do not possess.

I think you give me far too much credit, but thanks.

I do try, when seeing a new movie, to gauge how it will play in the future five, ten, twenty years from now, and 95% of the time, the answer is the same: it's good now, but I've seen it once, and probably won't see again. Even films that I loved and gave ratings of 9/10 or 10/10 to, and bought the DVDs of, are currently sitting on my shelf, having not been watched in many months.

Of course, I expect that's natural... sometimes you just have to be in the right mood to watch a certian movie, when picking a film out of your library. You want to hear a line of dialogue or a conversation spoken again, so you can get the words just right in your mind. Case in point: I just re-watched Lucky Number Slevin and V For Vendetta again recently, and I love them as much now as the first time I saw it.

This is the reason I buy so few DVD's (3-5 per year max)... I don't want to buy something based on some knee-jerk reaction to my first (or second) watching of it. I have to be CONVINCED that this is a film that I will want to see, and have at the ready, at some point in the future. Which is why 90% of my current library is composed of animated films, sci-fi films, action films, superhero films and fantasy films... this is the genre that practically DEFINES re-watchability. Films like Slumdog Mllionaire or Gran Torino or Frost/Nixon (which I just saw this past weekend), though great films, are not exactly dramas that one can watch over and over again. Perhaps that's a shallow attitude on my part, but that's where I separate myself as a movie-lover and a consumer.

Given the attitudes of many people on this thread, perhaps someone should create a thread where we can discuss films that WILL age well in the next 5, 10, 20 years... that would seem to be a much smaller list.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Shrykespeare wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:Which is exactly the perspective that most of you (Shryke and Donte excluded) do not possess.

Shryke,

What I meant by throwing you and Donte into my exlcusion is that the two of you were about the only ones that I could think who were old enough to have experienced the times that both Annie Hall and Swingers were released in. Now, I know that a good number of the folks here were alive when Swingers was released, but I hope you could all get what I meant
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 pm

What's that? Sorry, you'll have to talk into my hearing aid, sonny....

Very Happy
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Oh man, just you wait. It only goes down from here. (And it happens really quickly)
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:05 am

Buscemi wrote:Keep in mind that I was twelve when I saw it.

However, I hated the "sequel" State Of The Union. Stupid idea to make one without Diesel or Argento and the numerous references to World War IV came off as laughable since World War III never started (in fact I was reminded about State Of The Union while watching tonight's Family Guy when Peter mentioned World War V, a war so powerful that World War III and World War IV can be skipped altogether).

But luckily due to the failure of State Of The Union, xXx 3 was never made. That one would have had the new agent face pirates in Africa. A dumb plotline if there ever was one and it's only made worse because the screenplay was written by top hack writer Simon Kinberg.

I forgot about that part of State Of The Union. I am proably the only one that hated xXx and liked State of The Union. I really dont like Diesel that much and think most of the things he has done is pure crap. I also cant really way in on this thread because i dont really have much to say about movies aging.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:05 am

Juno had great direction and great performances from its cast--but that script is awful...

and, for those wondering, NOBODY said (nor will ever say) "Honest to Blog" or "Wizard!" outside this movie (or, at most, in reference to this movie).. Brook Busey didn't use modern slang, she tried to make up new slang...........and failed
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:27 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:

Shryke,

What I meant by throwing you and Donte into my exlcusion is that the two of you were about the only ones that I could think who were old enough to have experienced the times that both Annie Hall and Swingers were released in. Now, I know that a good number of the folks here were alive when Swingers was released, but I hope you could all get what I meant

He gives me about the right amount of credit Shrykey. I am a total badass and souper intelignet. And a gentleman to boot. LOL Cool

Actually he just meant we three are old and have seen silent films back before they invented music...

NSpan wrote:Juno had great direction and great performances from its cast--but that script is awful...

and, for those wondering, NOBODY said (nor will ever say) "Honest to Blog" or "Wizard!" outside this movie (or, at most, in reference to this movie).. Brook Busey didn't use modern slang, she tried to make up new slang...........and failed

That is because everybody who has ever spoken like that has been killed and sacrificed to my dark gods by me and my budding disciple, Busci. Twisted Evil
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Man Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:16 am

Some movies selected are just plain bad, so of course they won't age greatly. Like, does anyone really think that X-Men: The Last Stand is really any good? I think everyone realizes its not a quality film (other than KG as Beast).

I disagree with a lot of what Jacko wrote, but also agree with others. I guess that's the case when you list so many, but I think The Bourne Series is probably the highest one that I think people will wonder "what were we thinking" when discussing its action film merits.

J-Man
Juno MacGuff
Juno MacGuff

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 am

I'm ONLY including movies that were/are held in high regards.

Almost Famous
Vanilla Sky
The LOTR Trilogy
Finding Neverland
Match Point
The Departed
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

To be fair, I personally only liked a handful of these, but it seems most of these are very well thought of for the most part.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2