The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Name Change..

+12
Donte77
leestu
Buscemi
geezer9687
JackO
IPKI$$
Keyser Soze
W
Shrykespeare
NSpan
transformers2
BarcaRulz
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Forum Name Change.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum Name Change..

Post by leestu Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:40 am

W might be right. Personally I like the Rotisserie idea best (especially due to the link to Fantasy games) but that is just my personal taste. If we are looking for a name to serve a purpose, ie attract new players, then something along Geezer's or W's suggestions are probably better. Maybe have "movie game" in the title or subheading somewhere for the keyword aspect.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:48 am

My first double post EVER. I always wondered how it happened. Now that it has happened to me I still don't know. scratch

Last edited by leestu on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post)
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:17 am

It's ok to double-post, leestu, but only if you're saying that I'm right twice!
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 am

Yeah, W kinda expanded on my idea and just dropped Ultimate out of the title of what I suggested. I only added Ultimate because it makes us sound more important. I think that since the objective is to add people, and get hits in searches, we should keep the title as broad as possible, for more popular titles. I've been making the point that we can't include the words "fantasy" and "movie" in succession because as NSpan pointed out, Fantasy Movies are a genre in themselves and already have tons of sites devoted to them. I don't mind the film rotisserie, but it will be just as obscure as the fantaverse. My vote is for some version of what I presented and W explained. The Fantasy Box Office Challenge, with or without the "Ultimate" part, is what works best, In my opinion. Maybe even "The Ultimate Fantasy Box Office Movie Challenge and Discussion Board." Extremely bulky, but the partial hits will be big. Lots of possibilities, but I think those words in some capacity should be what we go with.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:23 am

I don't like the term Ultimate. It sounds like it promises too much.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 am

That is kinda the point, Buscemi. You should want to promise people stuff. That is how you get them in. You must not pay attention to political campaigns very much. If you don't make it appealing, they don't come. If they are disappointed, so what? At least we got them here. At this point there is no such thing as bad word of mouth for the site.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 am

geezer9687 wrote:You should want to promise people stuff. That is how you get them in. You must not pay attention to political campaigns very much.
i have no idea what you're talking about
Forum Name Change.. - Page 2 Obama

geezer9687 wrote:If you don't make it appealing, they don't come. If they are disappointed, so what? At least we got them here.
ha! where were you when i was 21 and downtown every weekend trying to take girls home? you can be my wingman anytime
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 am

Example on promising too much and failing.

Forum Name Change.. - Page 2 1179372927_bitchad
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am

Who are we trying to get on here and why? We're not trying to make cash here--though if we do, I want a cut--you just need something that explains what it is.

If you're trying to get Hardcore Fantasy Sports players in here, naming it "rotisserie" something is probably a good idea, but I don't think that most of you were Fantasy Sports players and some fantasy sports players don't know what a rotisserie is either. So, if you're trying to get people that like movies, then advertise where they are--but we need a name that is clear. That's really my only point...

Let them know we're out there, let them know what we're about, and let them know we're not selling anything. Hell, I'll post on the Yahoo! fantasy sports leagues--though I'm not really a part of them anymore.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Well, I am of the same opinion as you W. I don't have any idea why we need to get more people on here because like you said, we are not profiting on it so it seems like a lot of excess work for little to no gain. But It is Barca's forum and he wants to expand. Maybe he should explain exactly why.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 pm

geezer9687 wrote:Well, I am of the same opinion as you W. I don't have any idea why we need to get more people on here because like you said, we are not profiting on it so it seems like a lot of excess work for little to no gain. But It is Barca's forum and he wants to expand. Maybe he should explain exactly why.

So that we have more people playing the game?

More opinions, different opinions? etc etc..
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Yeah, but that seems like more of a luxury than a need. I mean it would be nice, but how hard are people willing to work for that?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:13 pm

I personally really like the community we have built up here. We've got a diverse group with different tastes, voices, and opinions. I mean, when's the last time you were on an online forum and had a real good idea of who everyone was? I think that expansion and bringing in new people, especially people who don't have a clue to how this all got started will just turn this site into all of the other movie discussion sites where everyone's at each other's throats for no reason and won't allow for civil discussion. I say we rename it if we really feel it's warranted, but it should be for the good of the community and not to just bring more people. Hell, we could get more people here simply by letting any interested friends of ours in on it. Just like the old FM. If everyone of us gets one person to join in, we'd double and it could make for less lulls in forum traffic AND a more diverse group with possibly more competition in the leagues even.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 pm

NSpan wrote:
Rotisserie (being a french word) is a pretty commonplace concept.. i mean, it's essentially how cavemen cooked their food (according to everything i've learned from watching Encino Man and the Flintstones).. and, according to my only other source of information in life, Wikipedia: aside from the US, rotisseries are commonly used in greece, turkey, mexico and throughout the middle east and arabian world... and, i imagine that even New Zealanders will pick up on the concept--you know, as soon as they discover fire

Not kidding, laughed and spit out some mostly chewed Mac N Cheese at that last part.

On topic, I don't think Rotisserie is a good idea for the name. I would never have joined if it was called that originally since I would have had no idea what it was. I think keeping it simple with Fantasy, Box Office, and Game in the title would be the best bet. Box Office can't really be confused with anything so Fantasy Box Office Game are the keywords we should concentrate on. As they pointed out, Fantasy Movies can be confused, Fantasy Games can be confused but together Fantasy Box OFfice Game pretty much is a definition of what we do here.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:23 am

I hate the word game. It is FAR to generic and lame. It does the exact opposite of the word Ultimate. Instead of promising an awesome experience, it sounds boring and puts people to sleep. Anyone can have a game, but an Ultimate Challenge, well now that is something entirely different. Really do you want this place being called fantasy box office game? How fucking lame is that? Lamer than being named after orange soda if you ask me.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:36 am

But using the word Ultimate promises way too much. We can't use Ultimate on something that is nothing more than Basic.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 am

What are you afraid of? People being disappointed and running to their friends and telling them not to join the website they have never heard of?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:50 am

I think Ultimate Box Office Movie Challenge pretty much sums it all up.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:52 am

In a way Geez, yes.

You can't take a basic, no-frills free website and promote as an "ultimate", bells and whistles website. We need a name that keeps the small, cult appeal of the website instead of a big approach that will most likely fail in the long run because no one understands it.

Earlier, you mentioned that politics use of a similar. Well, I am not Barack Obama and you are not Sarah Palin. We are just ordinary posters on a free website talking about what will do better, Watchmen or Monsters vs. Aliens.

In short, I suggest one of two options. The first option: we use Barca's suggested name of The Filmaverse (or Filmverse or whatever it was called). Out of the names, it sounds the best and it already has a logo. The second option: we put the talks on hold, keep the old name for now and continue where we left off in one month. By then, I believe we can make up our minds and finally agree to something. Otherwise, we'll never get anything done.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:04 am

But, I think using the word Ultimate gives it a better appeal...plus how challenging can the Ultimate leagues get sometimes? And that's the point. To let people know that this is an all-encompassing movie game/discussion site...which is what it is. I think filmaverse is too similar to fantaverse, which is not only an inside joke but also, as most people have noted reminiscent of the soda. Which could be a good thing.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

Yeah, filmaverse solves nothing because it isn't a real word that people will search for anyway. And yeah, our leagues do get very challenging when people are trying to beat me Twisted Evil It is a one of a kind game, not like anything anywhere else on the web, and for what we are doing, it is the Ultimate version.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:16 am

Now that you talk about it that way, I guess I'm in.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 am

I concede to Geez's point that Game is generic. I agree now that I think about it. And I am all about self promotion so Ultimate sounds good. We already call it Ultimate so why not stick with it.

Ultimate Box Office Fantasy Challenge
Ultimate Box Office Movie Challenge

The Ultimate Box Office Fantasy Challenge works better I think. The fantasy definitely lets the webgazer know that this is a fantasy game. Box Office Movie is redundant.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:33 am

Guys, what you are discussing is the description, not the name. We need a name first, something short and sweet. Like Fantasy Moguls, or IMDB, or Box Office Mojo etc etc. It'll be done like this:

THE NAME: The Ultimate Movie Box Office Challenge.

We just need a name. Right now the two options are Filmaverse and Chicken Cooker :p
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:43 am

Chicken Cooker? More like Chicken Fucker!
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next