The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are we going to do this?

+11
DylanG
JackO
silversurfer19
Donte77
transformers2
geezer9687
undeadmonkey
Shrykespeare
chugsthemonkey
lillylovelost
BarcaRulz
15 posters

Go down

How are we going to do this? Empty How are we going to do this?

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Ok, so i've seen the outline by chugs and the price list by Shryke. I understand also that they are talking about basically having the same game just updated manually. It's going to be a huge strain on people to update manually, but if you are willing to do it, all you have to do it tell me and i will put a sub-forum in this part of the forum so it is easier for the individual volunteers to handle.

Also, the good thing about this is that leagues can be longer/shorter, or have more than 50 people. Which means Shrykes Regulars leagues won't be limited and his Super-Leagues will be able to include everyone in the one bracket.

Opinions?
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

How are we going to do this? Empty Re: How are we going to do this?

Post by lillylovelost Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 pm

Maybe, to make it easier on the technical side. Someone can be in charge of posting Box Office prices and Ultimate prices.

Maybe you can get some people to be moderators and deal with that.

There could possibly be some sort of formula with Excel. Has anyone asked what Fantasy Moguls used to calculate and add to their updates? Do they definitely use Flash?
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

http://gangsterdorothy.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:40 pm

lillylovelost wrote:Maybe, to make it easier on the technical side. Someone can be in charge of posting Box Office prices and Ultimate prices.

Maybe you can get some people to be moderators and deal with that.

There could possibly be some sort of formula with Excel. Has anyone asked what Fantasy Moguls used to calculate and add to their updates? Do they definitely use Flash?

Box-Office will be very easy to handle. It's the Ultimates that will be a little more complicated, but not THAT complicated. Remember, all the points really do is tell you where you rank in every aspect, and then give you a total based on all your ranks in the four different areas. Would be simple to do with excel i would assume.

And yes, there will definitely be moderators. I've been setting up moderator privileges and what-not all-day. I'm thinking Shryke is 100% going to be one. We'll see who else.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chugsthemonkey Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Moderating cheaters will be pretty easy...

Setup a main Thread with everyone's slates and no comments... people can edit their slates in that Official League Thread. Then you have to setup a second Thread called "SLATE CHANGES" and when someone makes a switch on their slate, they have to post on that Thread and call their Add and Drop. We look at the time, we make sure it's legal, and Voila!

With only one BIG league in each playing mode, overseeing everyone's changes will be pretty easy - just as long as we have the time at which the decision was made and that the slate accurately reflects the change.
chugsthemonkey
chugsthemonkey
J.J Gittes
J.J Gittes

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:08 pm

chugsthemonkey wrote:Moderating cheaters will be pretty easy...

Setup a main Thread with everyone's slates and no comments... people can edit their slates in that Official League Thread. Then you have to setup a second Thread called "SLATE CHANGES" and when someone makes a switch on their slate, they have to post on that Thread and call their Add and Drop. We look at the time, we make sure it's legal, and Voila!

With only one BIG league in each playing mode, overseeing everyone's changes will be pretty easy - just as long as we have the time at which the decision was made and that the slate accurately reflects the change.

The thing i realized here is that when people EDIT their posts there will be a message saying 'this post was edited on the 20th of bla 2008 at 8:15pm" for example. Which will make things so much easier.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chugsthemonkey Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 pm

Amazing... Simply Amazing...

This is going to be much better than it was before!
chugsthemonkey
chugsthemonkey
J.J Gittes
J.J Gittes

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:16 am

Everybody knows that I run the Super Leagues results out of my own website. For the time being, I am going to do the same with the Regulars Leagues and my monthly Box Office Leagues.

I don't want to exclude people, but if 400 people want to enter this refurbished leagues, I may need some help.

In the meantime, this is a great new forum and it should serve perfectly should we ever lose the FM Boards. You rock, Barca!

Sometime tonight or tomorrow, I will be making space on my website for the new Regulars and Box Office leagues. I'll then make announcements on the Message Boards and the Forums.

I know that chugs came up with his own pricing scheme, and if anyone would rather use his rather than mine, let me know. There should really only be one pricing scheme used, and I would be happy to volunteer to come up with one every month. I'll underestimate a few and overestimate a few more, I'm sure, but then, so did FM, every time!
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chugsthemonkey Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:20 am

No worries Shryke - my whole Thread and pricing scheme was just a demo to show how we can actually do this.

Me above all would rather use your price list than mine (which I put together rather randomly).
chugsthemonkey
chugsthemonkey
J.J Gittes
J.J Gittes

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:47 am

Shrykespeare wrote:Everybody knows that I run the Super Leagues results out of my own website. For the time being, I am going to do the same with the Regulars Leagues and my monthly Box Office Leagues.

I don't want to exclude people, but if 400 people want to enter this refurbished leagues, I may need some help.

In the meantime, this is a great new forum and it should serve perfectly should we ever lose the FM Boards. You rock, Barca!

Sometime tonight or tomorrow, I will be making space on my website for the new Regulars and Box Office leagues. I'll then make announcements on the Message Boards and the Forums.

I know that chugs came up with his own pricing scheme, and if anyone would rather use his rather than mine, let me know. There should really only be one pricing scheme used, and I would be happy to volunteer to come up with one every month. I'll underestimate a few and overestimate a few more, I'm sure, but then, so did FM, every time!

Hey shryke if you ever need help, just ask, i took excel in high school.. i might be a bit rusty, but im sure it'll come back to me... basically its just filling in a whole bunch of information
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:48 am

chugsthemonkey wrote:No worries Shryke - my whole Thread and pricing scheme was just a demo to show how we can actually do this.

Me above all would rather use your price list than mine (which I put together rather randomly).

I don't understand why you two don't just have different price sets. Would make it alot more interesting IMO. Will also cause people to really evaluate how much a movie is worth.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:05 am

I think that the best way to do it, to keep it from being way too complicated. Is that we all agree on one set price listing. That's what made FM so smooth and easy to discuss. Everyone was playing under the same rules. I feel it is essential to do this again. I also think that the best way to come up with the one single pricing scheme, is to leave it in the hands of our trusted advice columnists.

Now that of course would be up to them if they wanted to collaborate on it. We all trust their judgment, and it would be three heads working together, with more knowledge of how things should be priced. So that is my proposal. When we start getting leagues off the ground, and honestly, I think it might be best to just forgo the December season, and start fresh in the new year, rip roaring and ready to go. Fully set up with a system in place. I propose that Shryke, Mr. I, and Chien join their forces, come up with a list, make it as fair as possible, and the entire fantaverse uses that one master list set of prices, for both Ultimate and BO.

I think anyone that forms a league on here should be responsible for keeping track of their own league's statistics. I'm sure Shryke will show you how, he already does it with the Super Leagues. This will take more dedication and effort, but that's what we need to do. There will obviously be far fewer leagues, but there will be no limit to the amount of players in them.

I think that if we follow these guidelines, and our leaders accept my proposal, this game will be better than ever. No long waits for updates, no wrong updates, no cheating because you time-stamp edits. No halfway players that don't care about their slates. This is a perfect place to launch our own version of the game.

Whose with me?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:18 am

geezer9687 wrote:I think that the best way to do it, to keep it from being way too complicated. Is that we all agree on one set price listing. That's what made FM so smooth and easy to discuss. Everyone was playing under the same rules. I feel it is essential to do this again. I also think that the best way to come up with the one single pricing scheme, is to leave it in the hands of our trusted advice columnists.

Now that of course would be up to them if they wanted to collaborate on it. We all trust their judgment, and it would be three heads working together, with more knowledge of how things should be priced. So that is my proposal. When we start getting leagues off the ground, and honestly, I think it might be best to just forgo the December season, and start fresh in the new year, rip roaring and ready to go. Fully set up with a system in place. I propose that Shryke, Mr. I, and Chien join their forces, come up with a list, make it as fair as possible, and the entire fantaverse uses that one master list set of prices, for both Ultimate and BO.

I think anyone that forms a league on here should be responsible for keeping track of their own league's statistics. I'm sure Shryke will show you how, he already does it with the Super Leagues. This will take more dedication and effort, but that's what we need to do. There will obviously be far fewer leagues, but there will be no limit to the amount of players in them.

I think that if we follow these guidelines, and our leaders accept my proposal, this game will be better than ever. No long waits for updates, no wrong updates, no cheating because you time-stamp edits. No halfway players that don't care about their slates. This is a perfect place to launch our own version of the game.

Whose with me?

I think that's fair enough. Chein and Shryke can work out Ultimate prices while dranscht can do the BO. This is ofcourse if they don't mind doing them.

Also, for the leagues that have already been started, but won't be finished, i think we should keep up with them. It's not that hard to be honest, especially with the BO ones. I'll see if i can get a full list and movie roster from the FM website for certain leagues.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:53 am

yeah that is fair enough have Shryke Chien and dranscht agree on a price set release it and then we play!
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:58 am

So are we still going to use BoxOfficeMojo as our update numbers? If so we can also use every movie they list so we would have more choices since FM left out several movie a month.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:39 am

Yeah, I was thinking about that. We had always been restricted by what FM listed, so going by this we will never have to skip movies in the PTA list when the charts are updated. Really, although we thought it would be a lot harder to do this ourselves, we kinda did already, and now everything seems a little bit more streamlined and logical. Hence, easier! Maybe it was a good thing....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:52 am

I was thinking about the moderator thing too. I mean, we will need to have mods who are on here a fair amount of time (I'm not blowing my own trumpet....honest Shocked ). There is no point having mods if they are never on here, or are only on a couple of times a week. I've noticed this on other forums before, and the presence of a mod is very helpful. Personally, I think Geez, Donte, Shryke and myself (along with you Barca - obviously) would be a good starting point, but I am completely open to any other ideas which would prove more beneficial to the site.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:59 am

I'm open for anything. I'd be willing to email to stats to the administrators of the game so they have all the info in one place and aren't looking all over for it all across the web. Like how Let The Right One's numbers weren't always reported at Mojo.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

How are we going to do this? Empty FM

Post by DylanG Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:11 am

So this is the new replacement for Fantasy Moguls, right? I'm just wondering. I see a lot of talk about Super Leagues and stuff like that. I just played in a regular league on Fantasy Mogul and would like to continue. This isn't exclusive, is it?
DylanG
DylanG
Napoleon Dynamite
Napoleon Dynamite

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 am

Of course not, the more the merrier. Welcome Dylan! For the moment this is how we are gonna keep these games running. It's looking promising so far, but we'll see in the long run.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by brockman81 Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:43 am

Hey guys and gals,

I've been playing FM for almost 2 years now, but I don't post much, although I play quite a bit. I just had a few questions. Are we going to be able to view everyone else's slates like we used to? Also, some people had mentioned we could use more movies that boxofficemojo.com lists that FM used to not list. But don't you think we should leave some of them out? I mean some of the ones they list on there only open in 1 theater, which a lot of times guarantees PTA, which would make the game a little less challenging, leaving less skilled players getting a lot of points. THese are just some initial thoughts I had, I mean, besides being pissed off. That's all for now.
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:48 am

Let's keep them because it's like William Goldman said, "Nobody knows anything." The site left out Tell No One and Bottle Shock back in the summer and they could have been slate changers had they appeared. Also, different slates help decide winners easier.

So like the ingredients in McDonald's shakes, let's keep the list big and with lots of items.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kompressr Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 am

Well done guys. The fantaverse lives! No doubt we'll miss FM but I'm definitely sure we can make things work here. On the topic at hand, I support the proposal for Mr. I, Chien and Shryke to handle the price listings, if they're willing to. Unfortunately, I have finals starting next week so I won't be able to offer any immediate help but after that, I'm willing to assist in anything needed. Cheers.
Kompressr
Kompressr
Napoleon Dynamite
Napoleon Dynamite

Back to top Go down

How are we going to do this? Empty The films I selected

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:58 pm

I used Box Office Mojo (confirmed by comingsoon.net) as my source for movies coming out. I discounted those with a "one-week Academy run" like Che, along with a few others that have change dates and BOM hasn't made the change. I think I incorporated just about everything else.

When I post the standings sheets weekly on my site, i will include everyone's complete roster. It'll be a little rough, but it'll be there. (Unless, of course, someone specifically tells me that they don't want their roster known, which is fine, a lot of players only added filmst to their roster the day before they came out.)
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:15 am

So does this mean that Hunger is discounted?
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum