The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New and Improved Top 100 Films of All Time!!!

+7
Buscemi
BarcaRulz
NSpan
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
geezer9687
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My New and Improved Top 100 Films of All Time!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: My New and Improved Top 100 Films of All Time!!!

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am

Buscemi wrote:I've got a public domain (it's widescreen but dubbed) copy of The Street Fighter. A guy gets his penis and testicles ripped off in that one.

Meanwhile, Juno would have been better had they gotten a better director, a better script, more likeable characters, characters with actual agendas and a reason of why we have 200 shots of people running in packs. My possible idea to having it work: make it a horror film. Juno could have an alien or devil incarnate inside of her. But John Carpenter beat me to the punch with Pro-Life.

Apparently, that's what Jennifer's Body is - Diablo Cody's next movie with Megan Fox.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

My New and Improved Top 100 Films of All Time!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: My New and Improved Top 100 Films of All Time!!!

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 am

I mean a serious horror film with real dialogue, good characters and something that the horror buffs can appreciate. Not Diablo Cody attempting to be Kevin Williamson.

I also believe that The Devil Wears Prada should have been about a girl working for the devil who must retrieve the souls of past employees who were more than just "fired".
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 am

I never knew horror films were rated for their dialogue. What are some good ones for that?
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

The Exorcist
The Omen
Alien
Aliens
The Silence Of The Lambs (though actually a thriller)
Rosemary's Baby
and maybe a few Cronenberg films
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Im not really to into foreign films either but The Host is really good. I saw it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it throughly.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 pm

NSpan wrote:donte, rent Nine Queens asap

read the film blurb on Netflix. They just needed to highlight "Heist Film" and "If you like David Mamet" for my interest. The rest of it was icing.

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds awesome.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:37 am

NSpan wrote:donte, rent Nine Queens asap

Isn't this the movie that was remade as Heist starring John C. Reilly?

Heist has one of the worst twist endings I've ever seen. Well, since High Tension, at least.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 am

You're thinking of Criminal. Heist was a David Mamet film with William H. Macy.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:31 am

Geez and Tranny, as someone who stayed away from foreign films for quite some time for the exact same reason myself, the only thing I can say is try to get into them. You won't believe how many amazing films you've been missing out on.

Some more suggestions

El Topo- Talk about badass! And the best part about it is that there isn't a whole lot of dialogue. When my friends and I watched it we got super-duper stoned, turned off the subtitles, lowered the volume on the tv, and blasted Physical Graffitti on the iPod over it. We still got the jist of it and enjoyed it all the more because we could interpret it the way we saw it instead of getting pissed because we missed something while reading the damn subtitles.

Pan's Labyrinth- Might be a touch over-rated in some areas, but this IS one of the most visually stunning and emotionally gripping stories I have personally ever seen committed to film. Trust me, you'll be mesmerized...or bored to tears. But it's got fascist spaniards and a hideous talking goat...should I go on?

The Bad Sleep Well- If you like gangster movies and don't mind the black and white, you should definitely check this out. This is Akira Kurosawa's take on the american gangster movie...AND Hamlet! It's even more awesome than it sounds...Just watching japanese guys in samaurai gear with subtitles like, "Lefty got pinched" should be enough.

There are so many more, but taking your tastes into account, I'd say these are logical jump-off points...and of course you should check out Oldboy after you see the midnight showing of the Spielberg/Smith version to compare.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 am

My favorite Kurosawa is High and Low. Geez probably saw their remakes, Ron Howard's Ransom and the awful King's Ransom.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 am

King's Ransom was so terribly bad that I almost stopped watching Law & Order when Anthony Anderson joined the cast, but luckily he was fucking awesome in Hustle & Flow. So, he should stick to doing projects with ampersands in the title.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:00 am

Buscemi wrote:My favorite Kurosawa is High and Low. Geez probably saw their remakes, Ron Howard's Ransom and the awful King's Ransom.

I think it's hilarious that a Kurosawa film was remade into something starring Donald Faison.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:01 am

Anthony Anderson wasn't bad in The Departed. In fact, it was surprising to see him in a Scorsese film.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 am

Agreed... and the best line in that movie was a joke at his expense.

"You're a black guy in Boston. You don't need any help from me to be completely fucked."
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:10 am

that's the guy from Good Burger, right?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:21 am

I don't think so. That was Keenan Thompson of SNL and the recently deceased Kel Mitchell of All That fame. Although, I've never seen the movie (for obvious reasons), so he might be in it. I'm not sure.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 am

He wasn't in Good Burger but he did play a character who worked in the service industry in Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:27 am

IPKI$$ wrote:the recently deceased Kel Mitchell
That was a hoax, buddy...
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:34 am

No, I was just assuming he's dead. I haven't heard from him in like a decade, so...Good to know he's still around to take our order though.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Heist has one of the worst twist endings I've ever seen. Well, since High Tension, at least.

i think the Spanish Prisoner takes the cake for bad twist endings.. at least in terms of movies that appear, from a distance, to have a little potential (ie. 2005's White Noise doesn't count)
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:12 am

Secret Window had a bad twist also. Same with Identity.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 am

I was actually just gonna say Identity. But I stopped myself, seeing as the rest of the movie was fucking terrible and the twist wasn't really a twist by the time they got around to the end. A drunk retarded six year old could have called the ending 15 minutes in...I liked Secret Window. Although, admittedly, I didn't really think the ending was a surprise. Rather appropriate.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:07 am

Buscemi wrote:My favorite Kurosawa is High and Low. Geez probably saw their remakes, Ron Howard's Ransom and the awful King's Ransom.
I had never even heard of any of them. I'm sure I'll watch foreign films eventually, when I get around to it. But shit, I have so many films I haven't seen that are in English that I need to see. The list of films I haven't seen would be staggering to some of you. I have a long way to go just cleaning up that list, before I start searching out the foreign film list.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:46 am

geezer9687 wrote:
I had never even heard of any of them. I'm sure I'll watch foreign films eventually, when I get around to it. But shit, I have so many films I haven't seen that are in English that I need to see. The list of films I haven't seen would be staggering to some of you. I have a long way to go just cleaning up that list, before I start searching out the foreign film list.
when you finally do, start with my 10.. and then report back with a post filled with "thank you" "i'm sorry" and "i was wrong, for God's sake--I WAS WRONG"
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2