The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

+17
Shrykespeare
geezer9687
leestu
Donte77
silversurfer19
becs
BarcaRulz
RonBurgundy
W
Keyser Soze
NSpan
numbersix_99
IPKI$$
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
21 posters

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:51 am

Yeah, its not often I am affected by a movie as much as I was, but this was a serious exception. Totally amazing movie, I may have to make a second trip to the cinema just so that I can experience it all again! I just hope we haven't raised expectations a little too high now....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:42 am

District 9: 9.5/10.

I hate to be the one to break the running 10s, but it lost half a point because it got a little bit predictable towards the end, only a little though.

The rest of the film was fantastic. For a movie with a $30 million budget the CGI was beyond amazing. The fact that this cost 5 times less than GIJoe and still puts it to shame is seriously awesome.

The story line was great, and the way it starts off with the documentary style to bring everyone up to speed was a very smart choice. The acting in it is pretty much perfect, and Sharlto Copley really deserves alot of praise as the lead.

It was gripping from start to finish, and it was great that it didn't have to include twists and shock sub-plots to entice you and interest you in what was going on. It also has some of the best action i've ever seen, let alone for a 30mill production budget.

All the praise that SS and Banks have given it is fully deserved. I still haven't given anything a 10 this year, but this one definitely came the closest.

Last edited by BarcaRulz on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 am

Some high praise there guys, but im still trying to keep my expectations down. I hate it when my expectations are so high, that even thought the movie was good, your still a little disappointed.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:56 am

Can I just interject.... love your avatar, UDM. That's a pretty appropriate screenshot!!
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Barca gave it a 9.9 basically Laughing

Bandslam - 5/10

Not as awful as you'd think, but still not good. It was kind of funny how whenever the main guy showed any emotion, he looked like a serial killer. It was all over the place tonally, but I think anyone who's really into music can appreciate it. Basically, it's just another Battle of The Bands movies, just with two amazingly hot chicks in the lead roles - Vanessa Hudgens and Aly from some chick band in real life.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Barca gave it a 9.9 basically Laughing

Bandslam - 5/10

Not as awful as you'd think, but still not good. It was kind of funny how whenever the main guy showed any emotion, he looked like a serial killer. It was all over the place tonally, but I think anyone who's really into music can appreciate it. Basically, it's just another Battle of The Bands movies, just with two amazingly hot chicks in the lead roles - Vanessa Hudgens and Aly from some chick band in real life.

Actually. Now that you mention it, i'm going to change that to a 9.5. It really was great.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 am

District 9: 9.5/10 (with the potential to be moved up upon subsequent viewings)

Outstanding movie. From both the character development and story side and the effects and action side. It was just really, really brilliant. Original and awesome. Innovative and beautiful. Easily the second best movie I've seen this year, but I can't say it was better than Up. Go see it, everything that has been said about it is accurate.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:19 am

After Geez and SS giving it such great reviews, I am officially buzzed about district 9
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:31 am

yeah, me too.. the trailer didn't do anything for me--but the praise it's receiving made me a convert
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:33 am

Its like Black Hawk Down meets Independence Day meets the Terminator, in a way that maintains originality. Just see it.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:57 am

District 9 - 9/10 (well, maybe that's really an 8.5)

Enjoyed it very much and it's in my top four for the year so far. Smart science fiction and very, very well done. I've enjoyed 'Taken,' 'Star Trek,' and 'Knowing' more, but this will find it's way into my dvd collection. Sequel is an inevitability.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:59 am

Edge of Love 2/10 - was really boring, no characters worth caring for. I dont know if it was supposed to be a true story or not, but it definitely wasnt worth it.

The Ugly Truth 5/10 - I enjoyed it for what it was worth, predictable as usual, had a few chuckles. If you like these kind of movies, im sure youll enjoy it just fine.

Race to Witch Mountain 1/10 - UGH! you know i dont remember anything from the original movie, but i was wishing throughout the whole movie that i was watching the original one instead.

Iron Man 8/10 - This was the first time i've seen it since i saw it in theaters, I actually enjoyed it more this time. I gave it another full point than i had before and now im actually really looking forward to the sequel.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 pm

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard - 3/10

About 6 funny lines here. All from either Craig Robinson, the old guy with the weird face, or the one lady from Stepbrothers. Not worth it.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:04 pm

District 9 92/100: Very good film, high expectations ruined it slightly. The dopeyness of a character is quite funny. Action packed in parts, but still tells multiple storylines very well.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:25 pm

District 9 ***.5/****

Part mockumentary, part violent sci-fi, part psychological horror, District 9 proves that high-concept really can make a movie entertaining and smart together. Neill Blomkamp makes an amazing feature-length directorial debut as he shows us what would happen if humans and aliens were forced to live together and the descent of one man's life after he begins a metamorphosis from human to alien. It's great to see when major studios take chances on intelligent action films and this one of the most intelligent to come around in some time.

Ponyo ***.5/****

The latest film from Miyazaki comes to the US...and it delivers. Though rather lighter fare compared to Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, the film is still what we have come to expect from the magical world of Studio Ghibli. The animation is very beautiful and the aquatic characters in the story are very cute (I would like my own toy Ponyo). The voice acting is also very good, with its own interesting list of familiar names and newcomers (Tina Fey, Liam Neeson, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Lily Tomlin, Betty White and Cloris Leachman all lend their voices to the film). I was also surprised at how good Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus were in the two leads. On the outside, you'd think that they were in the film because of their more famous siblings (The Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus, respectively). But in fact, they actually have some talent in their roles (though I've got to admit their duet of the title theme was a little weird compared to the rest of the film). In short, this is perfect family fare and a great addition to the ultimate collection of great anime. I congratulate Disney for giving the film a nationwide release instead of keeping it solely in the arthouses. North America needs to see more of the works of the Japanese Walt Disney.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:20 am

My recent films (sorry if I'm repeating myself)

G.I. Joe - 9/10
Julie & Julia - 8/10
District 9 - 9/10
Coraline - 4/10

Will be watching Obsessed and The Great Buck Howard in the next day or two.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Wow,. that's a pretty nasty rating for Coraline, Shryke. Why didn't you like it?
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Shryke - Save your time with Buck Howard. It was just Meh
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 pm

numbersix_99 wrote:Wow,. that's a pretty nasty rating for Coraline, Shryke. Why didn't you like it?

I think I gave Coraline a 5 ish. I was just bored. The end was good but the first 70 minutes was spent wishing it would hurry up.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:58 am

Donte77 wrote:
numbersix_99 wrote:Wow,. that's a pretty nasty rating for Coraline, Shryke. Why didn't you like it?

I think I gave Coraline a 5 ish. I was just bored. The end was good but the first 70 minutes was spent wishing it would hurry up.

i wanted to like coraline SO much more than i did
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:37 am

District 9 - 9/10. I loved it as well. the CGI wasnt as great as i was led to believe, still pretty decent for a $30M movie though. There was one annoying thing though, the lead character said fuck really weird and a lot, I dont mind cussing, but he said it so often that it got repetitive and annoying. I also can't wait for the sequel. Who wants to wager that it'll be out in three years?
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 am

I don't think they should do a sequel. I think that the filmmakers told everything that needed to be told in the first one.

However, I could see a TV series being done with the alien characters. Possibly animated, ala Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles.

Last edited by Buscemi on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:14 am

an animated tv series of the alien characters, your kidding right?

Either way, you know there will be a sequel, with a bigger budget, it probably wont be as good as the first one. Although it could be good, because there is definitely enough story left to tell.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:18 am

Not a children's show, but a little more mature (retaining the film's theme and its violence). Something that could air at nights on Adult Swim or Sci-Fi, maybe even Starz.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 am

Buscemi wrote:I don't think they should do a sequel. I think that the filmmakers told everything that needed to do told in the first one.

However, I could see a TV series being done with the alien characters. Possibly animated, ala Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles.

This is one of the many MANY reasons why you will never be a movie exec. The fact that you think an animated TV series will be made over a sequel with lots of story and monetary potential is ridiculous.

Lets weigh them up eh? Sequel to big money earner that was well reviewed.. or dead TV time slot animated show with aliens and graphic violence.. Rolling Eyes
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next