The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!! (Yes, you too!!!)

+16
Swedgin!
silversurfer19
donnie
geezer9687
Donte77
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
BarcaRulz
johnErle
W
leestu
MrHam
englishozzy
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
20 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Final Vote

PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 I_vote_lcap16%PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 I_vote_lcap58%PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 I_vote_rcap 58% 
[ 11 ]
PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 I_vote_lcap26%PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 I_vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 19

PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 Empty Re: PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!! (Yes, you too!!!)

Post by NSpan Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 am

just in case Leestu's proposal gets shot down, I think Nico is on to something.. this could be our logo:

PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 2142816794_cf2204663b
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!!  (Yes, you too!!!) - Page 7 Empty Re: PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!! (Yes, you too!!!)

Post by Swedgin! Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41 am

Well. Seeing as we have reached an impasse between "filmonthebrain" and "cinemaroundtable", I think we ought to just combine ALL the letters of BOTH names and come up with something COMPLETELY NEW and ORIGINAL, like"

iminimalofnutbabbleheardnornoetc.com.

Unwieldy, sure, and also nonsense, but, fuck it, it's not like EITHER of those qualities are exactly NEW, here, is it?

ETA: Christ, Spannaus, that actually makes sense. I change my vote. [Grin] filmonthebrain it is, WITH the new "logo".
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:48 pm

leestu wrote:

I am not changing my vote but maybe we should go with CRT and here's why. Most of us who have spoken up in favour of FOTB (myself included) have said that CRT is good but we like FOTB better. The CRT supporters seem to dislike FOTB, so at least everyone likes CRT even if it isn't our first choice. Although considering the reasons for the support of CRT would that then be a case of irony? Wink

Well, there's also the issue of Cinema Round Table not working at all. I've never liked it (I'm not a fan of Film on the Brain either, but it's mildly better). It may be closer to what we do, which is attempt to debate films and of course play the FM game, but my god it's a stuffy title. If we're trying to bring in fresh blood, I really don't see a roundtable attracting anyone at all. Just google round table and look at the type of results. Round table (unless you're an obsessed Monty Python fan) connotes seriousness, and ignore any of the fun we actually have.

I'm not gonna kick up a stink if everyone else is happy to go with CRT, but I do think we won't be doing much to get new people in, and instead we'll be sticking with a forum for the dozen or so of us regulars.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 pm

'Film' and 'Cinema' are both a bit snobby but at least 'Film On The Brain' sounds like you might find some fun when you come to the website.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 pm

To all the filmonthebrain supporters..

What do you think of moviesonthemind? I voted cinemaroundtable but if we are going the filmonthebrain route I would rather have moviesonthemind.

Let me know what you think.

MrHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Well I agree that they both are a bit snobby, but I think Film is more so than Cinema. People who tend to say film (here, as Surfer said, could be an American thing) tend to be people who are doing it because they think they are better than the normies. Cinema is just a proper name for a movie theater, and is also commonly used in other countries (this much I do know).

I still don't think that round table insights a serious connotation, but maybe that is just my age. I just see it as a meeting place for discussion, with no actual connotation to the level of fun to be had there.

My god that is a creepy picture. I don't think we'd be drawing much new blood (heh) with that.

I also suggest the possibility of bringing back the movies/mind version of the name, if we do decide to go with filmonthebrain, to see which of these would be more popular in a one on one vote. Because I would be much more happy with that than film on the brain, or anything else with the word film.

But overall, I like leestu's idea Very Happy
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm

geezer9687 wrote:
I still don't think that round table insights a serious connotation, but maybe that is just my age. I just see it as a meeting place for discussion, with no actual connotation to the level of fun to be had there.

Well, it could also be a cultural thing. Over this side of the pond the only real references to roundtables are university conferences or the kind of retrospective meetings you find as a DVD extra and usually ignore!

I also suggest the possibility of bringing back the movies/mind version of the name, if we do decide to go with filmonthebrain, to see which of these would be more popular in a one on one vote. Because I would be much more happy with that than film on the brain, or anything else with the word film.

I agree. I think 'movies' works better than 'film' in the context of our tone.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:50 am

I don't care which of the three we use, but I am sure that if we bring back moviesonmy/your/our/his/her/he/she/itsmind, we'll probably have another fight on our hands.

Anyways... here's Freakazoid:

W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:03 am

TheFilmProjector.com

and

TheMovieProjector.com

are both available for $10/year...

(note: the sans-"the" versions of both are not currently available, but neither are actually being used either... and, anyway, i like the "the").. and, not to flood the market, but "SilverScreenTalkies.com" and "MovieCurios.com" are also available..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:04 pm

I like the use of 'brain' -- I think it's catchier than 'mind.'

filmonthebrain
filmonthemind
moviesonthebrain
moviesonthemind

Filmonthebrain and moviesonthebrain just sound better to me but if more want mind than brain, I'll happily fall into line with the majority.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52 pm

how about brainroundtable.com?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:31 am

I think its time to start the filmonthebrain v moviesonthemind poll.

MrHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:49 am

Are we just adding moviesonthemind because CRT supporters lost and don't like it?

Personally, I think NSpan's suggestions are best. Thefilmprojector may be the best so far...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:29 am

The filmprojector.com is pretty good but that is not my point in this post..

I think the problem is that too many people are trying to get this name to sound perfect and describe the entire website when that isn't necessary. There are a few website out there that have names that don't make any sense and they occasionally get a few hits a day. Little places with terrible names like google.com or facebook.com or wikipedia.com or even yahoo. Do you think any of those names would have passed a vote??? They names mean almost nothing and make no sense yet their content is what set them apart.

If we insist on a new name, we need to is get a name that is easy to remember or can be made into a letter code. Internet Movie DataBase. Has anybody ever said that? No they don't, it is IMDB. I-M-D-B.

Renaming this place won't change shit if we don't start getting a huge chunk of hits. Getting a new look and changing the color of the font does nothing if we do not spread the word beyond the 40 or so of us who come here regularly.

Combining TLMR and this site could work but neither site gets any hits. We need to get more content (trailers, reviews, the game, trivia, etc) and more guerrilla advertising.

If we are interested in growing we must get new blood. We have gained about 10 new permanent players since this site started a year ago. We need to gain that per day or at least per week to make a presence on the net.

Just my thoughts.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:41 am

I wouldn't worry about time. IMDb took eight years to become the monster that it is now.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:09 am

That's the plan Donte but it's going to take time. Nobody here has thought of anything like "google" or "facebook". All the options thus far have had like three or four words in them.

It would be nice to come up with something that is only two words or so but everything is taken in 2009....

MrHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 am

filmpangea.com
ultimamovies.com
socialcinema.com
moviegame.com

That's from the first page, so to say there were NO suggestions with one or two words would not be the truth. We just chose the other ones. Also, roundtable can be used as one word or two, so it would technically be two words as well.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:29 am

Donte77 wrote:If we are interested in growing we must get new blood. We have gained about 10 new permanent players since this site started a year ago. We need to gain that per day or at least per week to make a presence on the net.

We've probably lost double that too...
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 am

socialcinema.com is already taken.

MrHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:44 am

so is moviegame.com
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:17 am

Damnit! Smile

You know what I mean. We've had ones with two words and ones with one newly created word that used to be two words... But we turned them down. I was just saying it's not like we didn't have smaller phrases to work with.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 am

Why don't we pick something kind of off topic, like Donte suggested?

filmstripes.com. Mentions film, but the second word is meaningless, yet easy enough to remember and be kind of catchy.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:43 am

or we could go with filmkazoo.com?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 pm

I actually like film/movie projector too.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:26 pm

I just hate having the word The in our title.

FilmPandemic is available. Sounds like something out of a zombie movie.

MrHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next