what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by W on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Milk 9.5/10: Great bioptic. Great film on sicial conciousness. Great political film. Great performances by practically all of the cast.

Ghost Dog 8/10: Very good film. The French guy was my favorite. The only thing I didn't understand was the whole point of the boat...

... W ... is fascinating. No other word for it. - Roger Ebert

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by transformers2 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 pm

The Day The Earth Stood Still[2008] 3/10 Damn this movie sucked. Very boring dull acting. Only thing good was the effects.
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Buscemi wrote:I just figured that it was from Powder Blue, the new film with her.

It will probably flop in theatres but expect it to be heavily downloaded and rented for her stripping.

Yes it will sadly i think i will renting it Twisted Evil
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Da Vinci Code- 5.5/10 -It wasn't that bad but it still wasn't very good. At times it felt like it should star Nicholas Cage or Harrison Ford.

2001: A Space Odyssey : 1/10 - It's supposed to be a "classic" but all i got from it was screaming monkeys and people walking in circles. Oh how amazing!

Schindler's List - 6/10 Very long but it was worth it in the end.
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:04 pm

JackO................. scratch

2001: A Space Odyssey 1/10.......I'm, I'm speechless.
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:15 pm

JackO wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey : 1/10 - It's supposed to be a "classic" but all i got from it was screaming monkeys and people walking in circles. Oh how amazing!

I'm sympathetic. I've tried watching it three times, heck -- I even own it! --, but I get what you're saying. It's got bits and pieces that I like but long stretches that are just too cute for me (like showing us the vastness of space by having the shuttle take 20 minutes to get to the station). It grows on me a bit with repeat viewings but...

Before you make up your mind completely, watch '2010.' It might help!
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:27 pm

I've never had any interest in 2001 for exactly that reason. I'm more surprised by the Schindler's list rating, i thought it was a very powerful film.

Meanwhile, I saw Bolt with my little sisters 5/10. It was good and all, great animation, the stupid little hamster was funny, but nothing that you haven't seen before. I guess pixar has been spoiling us with originality, but this was definitely a step in the right direction for disney animation studios. Maybe one day they will be making classics like they used to.
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 am

Just watched Severance, nice little horror movie mixed with some dark humour, not a big horror fan but I enjoyed this 7/10.
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:39 am

I can give 2001: Another Chance since it's showing for free OnDemand. Maybe, I wasn't in the right frame of mind.
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:40 am

SuperShaan wrote:Just watched Severance, nice little horror movie mixed with some dark humour, not a big horror fan but I enjoyed this 7/10.

I was surprised by Severance also. I found it to be pretty funny but yet scary at some parts.
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 am

packpaljs wrote:JackO................. scratch

2001: A Space Odyssey 1/10.......I'm, I'm speechless.
i still haven't seen Killer's Kiss (so the jury is out on that one), but i think 2001 is probably Kubrick's weakest film--next to Lolita.. but the worst of Kubrick is like the worst of the Beatles--it's still heads and tails above most.. technically, it's stunning.. visually, amazing.. musically, brilliant.. out of the four sections of the movies--each could almost be considered a short-film in itself: The Dawn of Man, TMA-1 (no title-card, but it's clearly separate from the rest), Jupiter Mission, and Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite--my problem is with the first and final chapters.. the first isn't terrible, but it hasn't dated well.. take it or leave it.. the middle two sections (particularly Jupiter Mission) are fucking amazing.. but the last section is pure gobbledygook.. yes, there's meaning in it--but the clues to discovering that meaning AREN'T in the film.. in order to understand that section, you HAVE to read the book.. anyone who says they "get" 2001, without having read the book, are fooling themselves..

it's actually an interesting experiment to release a cross-media piece of art.. but i think of it as a failed experiment in this case.. movies, in my opinion, should be self-contained.. you shouldn't have to complete outside reading in order to achieve the full experience... i don't want a homework assignment with my movie ticket..

i have the same problem with (the theatrical version of) Donnie Darko.. that movie DOES have a specific meaning--but it isn't possible to arrive at that information without outside research (in Donnie Darko's case, it was the film's website that held the clues).. lots of people liked Donnie Darko simply because they hadn't done the reading, and they just assumed the lack of explanation in the film equaled profundity.. people's own theories turned out to be far more interesting than the actual explanation.. that's why everyone was so let down with the director's cut.. in that, Richard Kelly made a self-contained movie--where all the information required to understand it was IN the film itself.. so, kudos to him for that.. unfortunately, his movie sucks either way..

PS. Severance was one of my favorite movies of 2007

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs on Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:48 am

To me 2001: A Space Odessy is amazing for everything Nspan brings up but I think I view it through different eyes than someone else watching it for the first time. For me I always keep in the back of my mind that this movie was created before we ever landed on the moon. Just about everything in outerspace was unknown. Not that I got to watch this when it was first released but I watch it like I am. If that makes any sense. I also think the Villian in this movie is one of the best in Cinema history. I enjoy this movie just for HAL's performance. I think to watch this movie now it's being compared to every movie that came out after it. But look at it to any movie prior to it. It's so much more it's stunning. Sure we've seen what CGI can do and other technical wonders, but several years prior to Star Wars there was 2001.

On a side note, not that I've done it, but I hear if you trip some LSD prior to watching it, it become a much higher experience. lol!

Last edited by packpaljs on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:57 am

packpaljs wrote:On a side note, not that I've done it, but I hear if you trip some LSD prior to watching it, it become a much higher experience. lol!
the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence synchs up quite nicely to Pink Floyd's "Echoes".. check it out:

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:10 am

The Birds- 8/10

It really isn't my type of movie. I had two major reasons why I didn't love it.
1) They don't explain anything, like not even remotely.
2) Tippie Hedron's character comes across the entire time as a smart, independent woman who knows how to handle herself. Then all of a sudden, she turns into a complete idiot at the end when she goes into the room that has freaking bird sounds coming from it! I'm sorry Hitch, but this did not fit the character, even if it did create a horror film cliche copied in every one since.

The reason it gets the 8 is just that. It invented the genre, laid the framework for everything that came after it, established all the cliches and was entirely innovative. On top of that, it still remains frightening to this day, a feat most films released now can not even pull off at all.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 am

Haunting in Conn 6/10: Better than average horror film. The only question is: How does a kid dying of cancer look so healthy? He looks like a varsity high school football player or something...

Watched the season ender for Heroes. It was great. If you want to know what happened, I guess PM me.

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 am

Just watched Sweeney Todd for the 3rd time. My personal 2nd favorite movie from 2007, behind There Will Be Blood. I think I could watch either of those two movies everyday and never get tired of them. If Depp had played this role any other year, he would've nailed the best actor award.
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 am

Just watched about 2/3rds of Run Fatboy Run earlier, I got distracted but I'm gonna finish it tomorrow. Pretty good, has its moments, but I still think Nick Frost should've been in it. He's a much better fat person than Simon Pegg.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:49 am

But could you really see him even attempting to run a marathon? It would have been too over the top and that is not what they were going for.

I'm sure Buscemi agrees with you, only somewhere along the way someone would have to get shot and aliens would have to abduct somebody.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 pm

I watched the new episode of South Park for the first time in a long while. Hilarious! Cartman led a bunch of pirates to Somalia and captured a giant French ship with a plastic Lightsaber. When questioned by their savers about how they got the ship taken from them, a French guy said, "Le Lightsaber.... tear-ibe-lah (terrible)." I can't stop saying that phrase...

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Finished watching Run, Fatboy, Run and I really liked it. 7/10

Also, I watched some mid-90s action movie with Merryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, and John C. Reilly. It's a rafting movie, which is kinda hiliarious. Merryl Streep was looking terrific, even though she must've been in her mid-40s by then. And it's still weird to see Reilly is serious roles.

I also watched some of Airheads, which was ok I guess. I'm not big on rock music though, so some of the stuff they're talking about flew over my head. Still great to see Chris Farley pop up in there unexpectedly.

I also caught an HBO documentary on Army recruiters, which was pretty cool.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 pm

You were watching The River Wild, Banky. The guy who directed that also did L.A. Confidential.

And remember, you can't pluralize Lone Ranger. clown

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Airheads was so weird, it was like seeing something stuck in time. Cassettes were still new to them, since they only had it on reel to reel (which is something I've never even seen in real life), and David Arquette was playing a Game Gear!

It should def be on the list of movies that won't (dont) age well...
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm

if Dog Day Afternoon ever makes our Movie Club list, Airheads is gonna be the double-feature... (okay, okay... THAT or Inside Man)..

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
It should def be on the list of movies that won't (dont) age well...

As long as there are still starving artist type bands out there, metalheads, and kids that grow up dream of being rock stars(and there always will be), Airheads will be hilarious. Just because something is old and out technolgically of date doesn't mean that it will/won't age well. That's like saying all black and white films or films with 50's style automobiles aged bad.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Watched the Wrestler last night. Fantastic. Still not as good as Gran Torino but much better than Slumdog. 4.5/5
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top