what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by geezer9687 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:45 am

You really need to stop with the Scream thing. You are the only one who makes the connection.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by W on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I Love You, Man 71/100 - Half of it was funny and half of it reminded me of a standard comedy like Yes Man. The best parts were in the first half hour for the most part.

BTW: Anyone know why Steve Buscemi is on ILY,M's main page? I was thinking, "There's no way I missed a Buscemi cameo."

... W ... is fascinating. No other word for it. - Roger Ebert

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:57 am

how is it like Scream? because of the "rules"?

i actually think Scream did help change the face of modern horror... meta-horror is now kinda standard practice in a lot of franchises.. Scream popularized that.. though, for the record, it had been done plenty of times before.. in fact, i don't think Scream moved the new genre forward any further than Wes Craven's own New Nightmare (released two years before Scream) would have--had anyone bothered to see it... same goes for April Fool's Day, which was way ahead of its time..

anyway, besides the vague meta-horror connection--not once did i think of Scream when watching Zombieland

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:34 am

Yeah there is pretty much no comparisons between Zombieland and Scream.
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:19 am

Similarities between Zombieland and Scream:

-both films feature annoying characters explaining the rules
-both films parody standard horror conventions
-both films feature teenage main characters with a familiar older actor to bring in the non-horror crowd

But seriously, it is not fun to analyze horror movie rules and try not to break them. Part of the fun of watching horror films is watching characters break the rules and make fun of them in the process.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 am

1 One mildly similar scene isn't enough to say the films are same, especially when one mocks them and the other merely acknowledges them but replicates them anyway.

2 You, my friend, need to look into the differences between parody and pastiche.

3 Er... who is the older actor in Shaun of the Dead? Bill nighy's career was hardly at its pinnacle and he didn't become "recognisable" until after that, if he's even recognisable at all. Hell, even in the UK, he was the guy from the State of Play series and there's not much crossover from that audience to a horror comedy.
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 am

Scream, not Shaun Of The Dead.

In Zombieland, Woody Harrelson basically plays the Courteney Cox role while Bill Murray basically plays the Drew Barrymore role.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 am

You seem to be missing the fact that Scream was made to be scary while Zombieland was made to make you laugh. Scream did the rules thing to be ironic and hip. Zombieland used it because the character was neurotic and that was the type of person he was, and yes, because it was funny.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 am

Buscemi wrote:-both films feature teenage main characters with a familiar older actor to bring in the non-horror crowd
i guess you're too young to remember, but Courtney Cox wasn't exactly a superstar at the time.. when she was cast, Friends was only in its second season.. she's only about 6-7 years older than the majority of Scream's primary cast (whereas Woody is between 22-35 years older than his costars).. if anything, she was "that girl" from Ace Ventura.. which, i daresay, overlapped pretty heavily with Scream's target audience anyway..

frankly, i just don't see the comparison

aside from what i mentioned about the meta-horror genre, i don't think you have a case.... i mean, if the best argument you have is that "both movies have characters explaining the rules"--you might as well say Zombieland is a ripoff of Fight Club

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:20 am

But Fight Club wasn't a genre-bending horror film. It was an action film with a psychotic main character and a terrorism subplot.

Meanwhile, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Zombieland would not exist had Scream not been made instead of Shaun Of The Dead (Shaun Of The Dead is more of a classical homage of zombie films rather than a new form of genre-bending horror). The style is more Kevin Williamson than Wright/Pegg/Frost, the basic premise (to take the horror genre and do a send-up of its rules) and both films are one-note. Also, both films were backed by huge marketing campaigns and ready-made followings.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:43 am

i think you're grasping at straws at this point...

listing "Enjoy the Little Things" as a 'rule' isn't exactly a rehashing of "Never Say 'I'll Be Right Back'"

for the record, i thought the 'rules' in Zombieland (or, at least, the way in which they were presented) was the low-point of the movie.. when i said the movie was a bit gimmicky, that's what i specifically had in mind.. however, get past that, and you have a well-written (not to mention hilarious) comedy-horror.. (heck, it's barely even comedy-horror.. the horror element is merely a backdrop for the comedy)

Scream, on the other hand, was a good--and influential--movie because of its self-aware, tongue-in-cheek approach to the horror genre

i suppose you could argue that Scream had an indirect impact on Zombieland purely in the sense of film-history... but, then again, i'd say the success of Scream has had some degree of influence on nearly every studio horror production since...

to sum it up: Zombieland has FAR more in common with Shaun of the Dead than Scream... ask 100 people, and 99 of them will agree with me.. (that remaining one person will be you).. I compared Zombieland to Shaun of the Dead because they are VERY similar thematically.. I thought the latter was a letdown while the former was a pleasant surprise

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 am

Couldn't have made the argument better myself, Spannaus. Buscemi tends to grasp at straws a lot rather than admit he might be wrong.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I think the big difference that everyone sees but you Busc, is the fact that the intent behind Scream was primarily to be a horror film that included poking fun as the genre in order to as someone said "be hip." Meanwhile both Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead are intentional comedies that happen to get laughs by making fun of aspects of horror films... just like rom coms get laughs my making fun of aspects of relationships... buddy comedies get laughs out of the wacky situations two guys can get themselves into.. etc.
Zombieland & SOTD are comedies. Scream wasn't.

Anyway. I watched Blow Dry this week, what a freakin great movie! I can't believe I hadn't heard of this little Brit comedy, with names like Alan Rickman, Natasha Richardson, Rachel Griffiths, Bill Nighy, Heidi Klum, Josh Hartnett and Rachel Leigh-Cook. In the vein of films like Velvet Goldmine or The Full Monty, it hilariously follows the world of competitive hair styling when a major competition comes to a small town where a styling great is retired and in hiding.
9/10
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Management 8/10 - I loved it. I laughed out loud quiet a few times. It was akward and quirky and Zahn and Aniston worked well together. The only thing taking off a few points is that the ending started losing direction. Over all though it was great, probably one of my top for the year so far.

Point Break - I cant give it a score because i didnt finish. It was excruciatingly painful, i think i got to the half hour mark.

Duck Soup 7/10 - I think this is the oldest movie i've seen now. I was pleasantly entertained. Some funny gags. The overall story wasnt great, but i'm guessing that's how the marx brothers movies were back then. they just had a basic story and then filled with funny gags and musical numbers.
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm

"Have you ever fired your gun in the air and yelled "ahhhhh"?"

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:13 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:Point Break - I cant give it a score because i didnt finish. It was excruciatingly painful, i think i got to the half hour mark.

How dare you

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 pm

I Could Never Be Your Woman - 7/10

Paul Rudd kills it here, every scene he's in is pure comedy gold. The little girl from Atonement is pretty good too, bit jarring to see her not be British or dead. Sad that this sat on the shelf for years before being dumped to STV.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 am

Land Of The Lost 7.5/10

I was surprised that this movie was funny. Yes the humor is really stupid and some moments are very corny. I found it to be entertaining and worth watching.
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:17 am

Blow dry sounds interesting and will be added to my list of "to see eventually" movies.

UDM, I am shocked and outraged that you only gave Duck Soup a 7. Outraged. The Marx brothers have some of the best running gags ever and their movies are brilliant with dialogue that any writer should envy. Genius movies.
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 am

Blow Dry was yet another decent film that was mismarketed by Miramax. They promoted Josh Hartnett as the star of the film (which makes it sound terrible) but in actuality, Alan Rickman is the lead (and movies starring Alan Rickman are usually good in my book).

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:21 am

geezer9687 wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:Point Break - I cant give it a score because i didnt finish. It was excruciatingly painful, i think i got to the half hour mark.

How dare you

I think our tastes in movies are quite different Geezer, so I am happy to say that I actually agree with you on this. I think Point Break was a decent movie and I enjoed it quite a bit, taking into account I saw it at the cinema when it was first released.
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am

"Utah, get me two!"

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 am

Donte77 wrote:Blow dry sounds interesting and will be added to my list of "to see eventually" movies.

UDM, I am shocked and outraged that you only gave Duck Soup a 7. Outraged. The Marx brothers have some of the best running gags ever and their movies are brilliant with dialogue that any writer should envy. Genius movies.

haha, i also put Blow Dry on my maxed out netflix queue. As for duck soup, dont get me wrong, i really liked it. I just think my perception, for what it was to begin with, was skewed. The rating might go up after more viewings.
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:50 am

Saw Marathon Man (63/100): I should have liked it and wanted to like it as its in a genre that I usually like and has Hoffman in it, who I usually like, but for some reason it just didn't float my boat...

**Also, one of the people Dr. Mengele (the person that Szell was based on) experimented on is part of our community. She created C.A.N.D.L.E.S. Holocaust museum in Terre Haute and also made the documentary "Forgiving Dr. Mengele" She was a twin, who they experimented on a lot, and her twin did not make it. The museum was destroyed by a racist Nazi bastard a few years ago and was rebuilt, but a lot of the stuff inside was not able to be salvaged.**

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Misery (93/100): Probably the best Steven King film I've seen. Kathy Bates played Annie as well as anyone has played any role and that Oscar is well deserved. The sheriff and his wife/deputy were pretty funny. I also liked that the character in the book was kind of a character in the film. Also, the double meaning of the title. The ending could have been better, but they at least didn't take the easiest way out. For some reason it made me happy to see James Caan get the crap kicked out of him more than once... I don't know why.

It is kind of funny that he can write things like this. And he can write things like The Green Mile and Shawshank. And he can also write things like Stand By Me... or even The Running Man. Almost forgot Dolores Claiborne. But, he's known for straight Horror. In most of his films, or at least the good ones, there's no ghosts or mass murderers popping out from behind a door or anything and just good twists and turns like a thriller should be.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top