What do you think about Polanski?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you think about Polanski?

Post by W on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:18 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while and it makes me almost want to puke. I knew nothing about it until a couple of weeks ago, but if you drug and rape a young girl, even if it was years ago, you should go to jail for a very long time. For some reason people don't think this should be the case and even though he admitted to it in court and then fled the country, he probably won't spend any time in jail besides what he spends before the trial.

Some people said, "Let him off the hook because he was crazy because his wife was killed by the Manson Family." I say that I don't expect Liam Neeson to molest a girl anytime soon.

To further things, there is a petition going around to try and get him off the hook: http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/exclusive-global-film-community-asked-to-sign-this-petition-for-roman-polanskis-release/

This petition, to me, reads like a "We (or Polanski in general) are above the law. We are priveleged and should be allowed to do whatever we want. It is ridiculous that he is in jail for a crime he committed." The wording I hate there the most is that Polanski "suffered enough". What did he suffer? Not the scales of justice. He fled before he could be weighed by them and has lived in comfort for some thirty some years.

If there's a petition to try him as harshly as possible, I would sign it.

... W ... is fascinating. No other word for it. - Roger Ebert

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you think about Polanski?

Post by numbersix_99 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Agreed, if Polanksi gets away it would just show that money and fame are more powerful than the law. Polanski raped that 13 year old. She said no, he got her drunk, her fed her sedatives. It was premeditated. The tragic murder of his wife is no excuse.
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Completely agree Polanksi is a sick f--- and he deserves to go to prison for a long,long time. There is no justifaction for his sadistic actions.
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:40 am

How are Liam's wife's death even comparable to Polanksi's wife?

And yeah, he did something that's wrong and he should probably be in jail. But it doesn't help when the victim speaks out in favor of Polanski...
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:50 am

As far as I know, she didn't speak out in his favor, she just doesn't want to keep going on and on and on with this because she has a family now and doesn't want it to keep coming back in the limelight. That is perfectly fair, but had he been tossed in jail a long time ago, then none of this would be necessary.

They have the chance to do it now, they have the chance to prove that fame does not 'trump' law, and they should take it.

You do the crime, you do the time, it really should be that simple.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:18 am

BarcaRulz wrote:As far as I know, she didn't speak out in his favor, she just doesn't want to keep going on and on and on with this because she has a family now and doesn't want it to keep coming back in the limelight. That is perfectly fair, but had he been tossed in jail a long time ago, then none of this would be necessary.

They have the chance to do it now, they have the chance to prove that fame does not 'trump' law, and they should take it.

You do the crime, you do the time, it really should be that simple.

That's my feeling on it. And the whole Neeson thing was just trying to say that something tragic happening (like the loss of a spouse) doesn't mean that you have to commit a violent crime.

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 am

I'll just keep it simple:

He did what he did. And he fled from it for 32 years. He should be tried and convicted for both.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:44 am

I find the timing & motivation interesting. Why now? Surely they have had other oppurtunities before now? I think the victim is the most important factor here. If she would just like everything dropped and forgotten and not talked about in the media etc, etc then her wishes should be respected. Is this happening for the "right" reasons? Maybe I am a cynic but is "Justice" really the reason for this, and in the legal system we use how many times is justice ignored due to technicalities, money, power, lawyers playing games etc.
Don't get me wrong, his actions were abhorrent and disgust me, alll I am doing is looking at it from a different (perhaps broader) perspective.

leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:33 am

Yes, he should be in jail, but I think we all know the worst he'll get is a short length of house arrest in his Switzerland palace.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:26 pm

leestu wrote:I find the timing & motivation interesting. Why now? Surely they have had other oppurtunities before now? I think the victim is the most important factor here. If she would just like everything dropped and forgotten and not talked about in the media etc, etc then her wishes should be respected. Is this happening for the "right" reasons? Maybe I am a cynic but is "Justice" really the reason for this, and in the legal system we use how many times is justice ignored due to technicalities, money, power, lawyers playing games etc.
Don't get me wrong, his actions were abhorrent and disgust me, alll I am doing is looking at it from a different (perhaps broader) perspective.

Actually, I suspect the case was resurrected by the Wanted and Desired documentary that was shown on HBO this summer. Which is ironic, because from what I hear the doc was actually trying to show how the case was a legal mess, that underhanded techniques were used and that the case should have been dismissed due to that. Instead some LA prosecutor heard about Polanski going to Switzerland and set up the arrest.
And Leetsu, I see where you're coming from about the victim- she does indeed want to forget the whole ordeal. But for me it's far more important to show to the world that a person isn't above the law because they're rich and famous
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:56 pm

I agree. I cannot stand the fact that celebrity seems to warrant softer sentencing or no conviction at all, to me it is a problem of equal weight in our courts with racial discrimination in sentencing. It should make no difference who a person is or what ordeals they have been through in their life unrelated to the crime, they should be judged and sentenced for the crime as the evidence of it has been presented.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Inspectors Carter and Lee should have arrested him when they had the chance.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:07 pm

-_-

That was terrible.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Someone clearly forgot about his cameo in Rush Hour 3.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Sounds like she got it to me.
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Yes, I was saying it was a terrible joke.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:49 pm

At this point, what do you expect?

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:20 am

I'm not sure how I feel on this. On one hand, yes, he should be tossed to the lions for what he did. He's got away with living a life of luxury for years while I'm pretty sure that girl's life will be forever affected by the trauma she must have put herself through for the decades since the event. However, if he is tried and convicted it's just gonna bring it all back for her. She will never be able to get on with her life. She'll have the media all over her again when I'm pretty sure she just want's to leave it in the past. For me, I think the girl's own life is more important than the law. It's been so so long, and I think any sentence served will not serve to punish Polanski in any way. For that reason I think they should just leave it be, despite what he deserves. I don't know what can be done in any way to serve punishment (prison certainly wouldn't work as it'd be a very low security one with lots of privileges I'm sure), but I do want some kind of justice. Just not at the expense of ruining the girl's life any more than it already has.

Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:34 am

this thread should die. by even bringing the topic up as a point of discussion gives the whole ordeal more merit than it deserves. he was tried and convicted, he fled the country, 30+ years later, he's caught. case closed. the mere fact that he wasn't brought in sooner is a fucking blemish on our society. and discussing it as if there were any other way to think about it mitigates the impact of the original crime.

if he weren't in show-business, the guy would've been rotting in a cell for quite some time now. and nobody would give a shit

some comedian (i forget who) made a good point by saying (paraphrased, obviously): "i've actually heard people bring up the quality of his films when discussing his rape charges. i mean, i guess i liked one or two of his movies--but, at no point while watching them was i like 'Hey, i love this movie SO much, i think it'd be excusable for the director to drug and rape a 13 year old'"

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:58 am

numbersix_99 wrote:
But for me it's far more important to show to the world that a person isn't above the law because they're rich and famous

It would be more important if it were not the case is nearly every circumstance of a famous rich "celebrity" getting off easier than a "regular" person would.

Add to Polanski, the very recent inductees,
Chris Brown
Donte Stallworth
R Kelly
Christian Bale
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:10 am

I think it's hilarious when "This thread should die" is followed by a couple of paragraphs... lol

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:42 am

W wrote:I think it's hilarious when "This thread should die" is followed by a couple of paragraphs... lol
Wink i know, i know... i'm a hypocrite.. but think of the, perhaps, HUNDREDS of people who have taken my lead by not responding to this thread.. heck, there are people who don't even VISIT this site who are showing their solidarity with my cause by not responding

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 am

NSpan wrote:
W wrote:I think it's hilarious when "This thread should die" is followed by a couple of paragraphs... lol
;) i know, i know... i'm a hypocrite.. but think of the, perhaps, HUNDREDS of people who have taken my lead by not responding to this thread.. heck, there are people who don't even VISIT this site who are showing their solidarity with my cause by not responding

BILLIONS of them.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:23 am

I was one. Oh shit, stuffed that up now. Sorry Nspan.
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 am

Me to Polanski:

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: