PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!! (Yes, you too!!!)

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Final Vote

16% 16% 
[ 3 ]
58% 58% 
[ 11 ]
26% 26% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 19

Re: PICK THE NAME OF THE NEW SITE - Everybody weigh in!!! (Yes, you too!!!)

Post by numbersix_99 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Wow, cinema round table is really winning. I can't say I'm a fan of it, as it feel too serious. Round table suggests (for those who aren't die-hard Python fans) boardroom meetings, or those awfully dull DVD extras.

Just my 2 cents
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:57 pm

When I hear it I just think of a place for discussion.

silverscreenroundtable and bigscreenroundtable are available, but I think they are too long. I feel like 18 characters is about the limit for names before they really start seeming too bulky.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 pm

geezer9687 wrote:When I hear it I just think of a place for discussion.

silverscreenroundtable and bigscreenroundtable are available, but I think they are too long. I feel like 18 characters is about the limit for names before they really start seeming too bulky.

I, myself, think that 19.35 characters is about the max. :)

The others just sound funny to me. Probably because they're long. Plus "Big Screen" just sounds like a football party or something.

When I think of round table, like most others (I'm guessing) I think of King Arthur/dark ages.

... W ... is fascinating. No other word for it. - Roger Ebert

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:37 am

i suggested Round Table because it implies interaction between the site and its users.. and its broad enough to encapsulate the forums, the movie game, film reviews, columns, (and, hopefully, some lively responses to the reviews and columns), etc.

there are a million movie sites out there--but they're all dictatorships (or, at best, oligarchies).. perhaps what would set this site apart from the rest is how much it could thrive on user-generated content..

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:58 am

NSpan wrote:i suggested Round Table because it implies interaction between the site and its users.. and its broad enough to encapsulate the forums, the movie game, film reviews, columns, (and, hopefully, some lively responses to the reviews and columns), etc.

there are a million movie sites out there--but they're all dictatorships (or, at best, oligarchies).. perhaps what would set this site apart from the rest is how much it could thrive on user-generated content..

Hopefully we can put that somewhere in our description or somewhere on the main page or something. User-generated content. Something like "reviews from people that aren't old white guys (yet)."

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:02 am

I put in a vote for 'filmsonthebrain' but could very easily be swayed to 'boxofficeoasis.' I think the thing to remember is that you want a name to be as general as possible so that it will catch more hits. My alternate vote probably does a better job of that then the first one.

Great. Voter remorse.
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:18 am

W wrote:
NSpan wrote:i suggested Round Table because it implies interaction between the site and its users.. and its broad enough to encapsulate the forums, the movie game, film reviews, columns, (and, hopefully, some lively responses to the reviews and columns), etc.

Hopefully we can put that somewhere in our description or somewhere on the main page or something. User-generated content. Something like "reviews from people that aren't old white guys (yet)."

The thing is though we don't want to discriminate against "old white guys" either. The whole idea of this site is to be welcoming to anyone and never make it us v them. Also the name is not what will get the hits. It's the content and the marketing.

MrHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:41 am

Content will sustain us but it won't mean dick if the net isn't cast widely enough to catch the casual surfer looking for movie news, games, reviews, etc. We'll convert them when they find us. Getting them to find us is the problem though.

And I will now disappear for several more days until this issue is resolved.

Very Happy
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:06 am

MrHam wrote:
W wrote:

The thing is though we don't want to discriminate against "old white guys" either. The whole idea of this site is to be welcoming to anyone and never make it us v them. Also the name is not what will get the hits. It's the content and the marketing.

Yeah, umm... That was a joke.

I was assuming that we were going to be kind of like the new sports show on ESPN called SportsNation where you have user generated content and try and make them feel like they're running the show.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHam on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 am

Yeah that is ideally the plan and like I said content and marketing will be the key. But let's take this one step at a time and choose a name first.

MrHam
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:07 am

Should I cut this down to filmonthebrain, boxofficeoasis, silverscreenmoguls and cinemaroundtable? They are the 4 with the most votes, it would narrow down 3 choices and I'm leaving boxofficeoasis in there because Roode wanted to change his vote to it.

I'm going away this weekend because I'll be at the Sox game on Sunday, so I'd want to do it tonight.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:40 am

I really don't think this is THAT serious. I'd say Shryke and Ham just pick one, because they're running the site.

BTW there;s something wrong with the comments on TLMR. I don't think anyone can leave any, because I've tried many times and they never show up.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:44 am

Not true, Banks. What you need to do is click on where it says "1 comments" under the entry where you made the comment. Here's your most recent example:

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com/2009/10/07/new-trailer-for-doctor-parnassus.html#comments

Michael, we don't have a lot of time on this earth! We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements!
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

View user profile http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:47 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I really don't think this is THAT serious. I'd say Shryke and Ham just pick one, because they're running the site.

BTW there;s something wrong with the comments on TLMR. I don't think anyone can leave any, because I've tried many times and they never show up.

I was under the impression that this should be as democratic as possible, because they want EVERYONE to run the site, not just them. That was the whole idea.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:03 am

Thanks, geez, that's exactly what I was thinking. (You always seem to know what I'm thinking, it's eerie sometimes.)

Though MrHam, Barca and I (and our brainiac web designer, David) are the driving force behind this site, it is everyone here that we will count on to make the thing live, breathe and jump. Obviously, there's no way we can pick a name that will blow EVERYONE's skirt up, but if we can at least have a majority that the rest can live with, that will be a good thing.

I'm not sure when the new site will be up and functioning as far as posting reviews and stuff like that (TLMR will have to keep going until that happens), but I can tell you that the move from here to the brand new forum is very very close.

Regarding the move to the new forum, there's good news, bad news and unknowns:

1. Moving all the content of these boards to the new boards - sorry, isn't going to happen. According to Barca, TPTB at forumotion are being prickly pears about that. The best we might be able to manage is that we can post links back to the key threads back here once we make the move.

2. Getting credit for our previous posts - unknown. Barca says he can make that happen, but I haven't heard definitively yet. He also says he can integrate the "100 Best Characters" posting landmarks there like here, as well as the Boba Fetts.

3. Will there be a "portal" screen on the new Boards? Again, unknown. Barca says that shouldn't be a problem either, and I believe him. Hopefully it will have all the bells and whistles TFR does, with the Latest Trailers section, the Calendar, the scrolling list of most recent posts, etc.

4. Regarding the "game" feature, I have it on good authority from donnie (the head tech of the MMG site) that everyone involved will be meeting in the next week or two to discuss improvements to the game. This will include the addition of Box Office Leagues, monthly games, the ability to create our own leagues, etc. If all goes well, by the first of the year we'll either be able to a) incorporate their game into our website, though if that's the case, we'll have to subject ourselves to their unique pricing systems, or b) they'll allow us to use their programming code to do our own version of the game, where we have control over what titles we include and what they'll be priced at. Either way, it'll be cool to have a version of the game that won't rely on e-mails, message boards and spreadsheets! (Not to mention that it will save me approximately 5-10 hrs/wk in updates).

So that's the latest. As usual, if I hear anything new, you guys will be the first to know.

Michael, we don't have a lot of time on this earth! We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements!
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

View user profile http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:16 am

geezer9687 wrote:Should I cut this down to filmonthebrain, boxofficeoasis, silverscreenmoguls and cinemaroundtable?
"boxofficeoasis" sounds great when spoken--but i feel like it's a bit clunky on paper (or, more specifically, when typed).. the "--ceoasis" string of letters seems like it could be a bit of a stumbling block

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:46 am

Just some clarification on shrykes post:

1. Forumotion OWNS (that's right, they said OWNS) everything posted on their servers through the free forums people set up. Which means all this stuff is basically theirs, and we can't back-up and take it with us. We can however leave a link on the new forum to this one, sort of as an archive.

2. Dave has installed the newest update which will allow us to change the number of posts without you actually posting, which means that your time here is not in vain. If when we make the switch to the new forum you have 700 posts, we can credit you with 700 posts. Mind you, this works easily here, I haven't actually tried it yet on the new forum, but it should work. As for the "Greatest Characters" classing, that is easy and will be done.

3. The portal will just be another page on the mega-site. Basically you won't have to be linked to it through the forum. It can be a page you re-direct to from the official mainpage, but that's for later on. Most of the stuff on the portal here are widgets, and those are really easy to set up and install.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:05 am

Barca, about the character list, did you ever actually pick a final winner between Darth Vader and Indiana Jones. the runoff tied and I left in in your hands. I don't know if there was ever a final answer.

Shryke I feel we have very similar personalities, and you know they say great minds think alike.

Anyways, I'm narrowing it down to those 4 options. You may vote only once, so pick your favorite.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:06 am

I think Indiana Jones won.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:09 am

Neither of them one, it was deadlocked. I left it up to Barca because he created the damn place king and I didn't want to be the deciding vote. So I let him be the guy to let down half the fantaverse Twisted Evil. But I still don't think I got an answer.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:40 am

I've been wondering whenever I think about the character thing, wouldn't it be great if when you hit over Indiana Jones, you could name your own character?

That being said, I'm assuming it would take years to reach Indy.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:50 am

Well not at the rate Buscemi posts, he is already half way through the list.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:05 am

Don't they get harder to get the higher you go up? Or is there a set amount?

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:05 am

W wrote:I've been wondering whenever I think about the character thing, wouldn't it be great if when you hit over Indiana Jones, you could name your own character?

That being said, I'm assuming it would take years to reach Indy.

I remember being at a site where you could name your own rank. I loved that.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:04 am

geezer9687 wrote:Neither of them one, it was deadlocked. I left it up to Barca because he created the damn place king and I didn't want to be the deciding vote. So I let him be the guy to let down half the fantaverse Twisted Evil. But I still don't think I got an answer.

To be totally honest I have no idea. SS did the list and the ranks.

PS: it is possible to name your own rank here, maybe when you reach a certain amount of posts then you can name your own.

EDIT: i just checked the ranks in the admin panel, and it turns out it doesn't even go that far. 4700 posts is the maximum for now. I will definitely add the others when we move to the new forum. And if it has been left upto me, Indy wins it hands down!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top