The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official NFL Season Thread

+7
BanksIsDaFuture
geezer9687
transformers2
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
Buscemi
W
11 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Official NFL Season Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official NFL Season Thread

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:32 am

geezer9687 wrote:
How about the Madden Curse wasting NO time tonight? If I owned Larry Fitzgerald in a fantasy league I'd be shaking in my boots.

Uhh.... why exactly?

And it looks like Polamalu will be out 3-6 weeks. Oh-oh, Steelers fans...
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

The Official NFL Season Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official NFL Season Thread

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am

Madden Curse (player featured was on the cover that year):

1999: Garrison Hearst - broken ankle
2000: Barry Sanders retired before the season.
2001: Eddie George goes from 1500 yds/15 TDs to 939 yds/4 TDs.
2002: Daunte Culpepper misses 4 games with injury, 19 less TDs, Vikings worst record since 1984.
2003: Marshall Faulk has his worst season since 1996
2004: Vick breaks leg in preseason.
2005: Ray Lewis has worse stats than usual, only time ever to not have an INT in his career.
2006: McNabb has a hernia and misses 7 games. Worse stats per game than usual.
2007: Shaun Alexander breaks his foot and sucks in the rest of the games he plays.
2008: Vince Young has 9 TDs and 17 picks. Totally loses everything the next year.
2009: Favre hurts his arm and collapses at the end of a promising season.
2010: Fitzgerald and Polamalu are on the cover...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:29 pm

transformers2 wrote:The 49ers did quite good last year with Mike Singeltary. They are effective even though they dont have any stars. Plus Jacksonvile 10-6? no fucking way they arent very good. Houston 12-4? no way Schaub is a decent QB and there defense is solid but not great. Maybe 9-7 for Houston and Jacksonvile will proably be 6-10. Green Bay 14-2 thats kind of a laughable statement no offense. I dont think Aaron Rodgers is good enough to carry that team. Ryan Grant is a streaky running back and their defense is above average at best. I think the Vikings and Bears are better than them. Geez you i have lot of respect for you but i think some of your picks are a little insane.

I do see Tampa and Cleveland doing poorly as well proably around a 3-13 finish for both those teams. Cincy will also suck quite a bit.

The 49ers will not be good. Teams are going to stack the box against them. They might have won a few more games if they could have actually signed Crabtree... but Shaun Hill is their QB and Josh Morgan is their number 1 receiver. They are going to score around 9 points a game. Their defense isn't good enough to support that.

I think Jacksonville is a solid 10-6 team. That division is stacked top to bottom. Garrard is always consistent and he has better weapons this year, along with MJD who is a beast. They have a decent D and I think will be at least a .500 team.

I have a lot of faith in Schaub if he can stay on the field and Houston is my breakout team of the year. Very few teams will be able to slow them down. No one has the weapons on offense that they have, and their defense isn't really bad, its average, but its not going to lose them games.

You have to admit bias being a biased Bears fan Tranny, and I know Green Bay is not a popular pick, but that is a lot of the reason why I love the team so much. You all can say Aaron Rodgers isn't that good. I'm telling you, he is, and you don't have to believe me now, but at the end of the season, you will see. Grant is a very good running back. They will be motivated, they have the no one believed in us factor, and they all want to rub it into Brett Favre's face. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the Pack end's Brett's season with how physical they will be against the Vikings this year. Those games will be ugly, and the Packers will show how great they can be. I have liked them for a while now leading up to the season, I just had to go through and actually analyze everything to find out just how much I like them.

You may think I'm crazy, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The records will not be right, as they are just based on who I think will win games based on how good they are on paper, so some of them come out extreme. However, I do believe in all of my playoff picks, and that is what really matters.[/quote]

Well-put geez. The reason i think Jacksonville wont do well is because that division. The Titans,Colts and Texans are all better than them. Jones-Drew is very good and Garrad is solid but i dont really think the addition of Tory Holt will add much.

Their is a little bit of bias with my Packers pick but i just really dont think their that talented of a team. But like you said those are your picks. The most important thing is that football is back!
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:55 pm

NO has a much better shot at making the SB than GB.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:34 am

MIN has a better shot at making the SB, but realistically, there's 8-10 teams that have a shot in the NFC.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am

We'll see Smile

God I love football
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:19 am

I hope you picked New Orleans for your bet Shryke.

Drew Brees as a sure-bet for offensive player of the week anybody?

Who Dat?! Who Dat?!
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:35 am

What we learned so far this week:

1. The Jets are a possible playoff team (I think they'll fight with the Ravens for the last slot).
2. Though sportscasters don't think so, the Ravens aren't as good as they seem. They allowed the Chiefs to stay in the game.
3. No one can quarterback the Bears.
4. Though Brees may put up great stats and be in the running for "Best QB in the League," the defense is going to keep them out of the playoffs, or at least keep them from possibly competing for the conference championship.
5. The Super Bowl loser curse is hitting the Cardinals.
6. Pittsburgh is still the team to beat.
7. Tennessee is right up there with the best of them still.
8. Lovie Smith is an idiot. How the Bears got to the Super Bowl under him is beyond me.
9. The Seahawks look good and I still think they'll win the division and MAYBE one playoff game.
10. The Vikings and Packers are both making the playoffs.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:15 am

W wrote:What we learned so far this week:

1. The Jets are a possible playoff team (I think they'll fight with the Ravens for the last slot).
2. Though sportscasters don't think so, the Ravens aren't as good as they seem. They allowed the Chiefs to stay in the game.
4. Though Brees may put up great stats and be in the running for "Best QB in the League," the defense is going to keep them out of the playoffs, or at least keep them from possibly competing for the conference championship.
8. Lovie Smith is an idiot. How the Bears got to the Super Bowl under him is beyond me.
9. The Seahawks look good and I still think they'll win the division and MAYBE one playoff game.

To respond:
1. That defense sure did look outstanding, but, I don't think they are a playoff team.
2. This could be very true, the loss of Rex Ryan (to the aforementioned Jets) looks to be a major loss, at least right now.
3. I don't think that is true, Jay Cutler just is not as good as everyone wants to say he is. I'm pretty sure Tom Brady or Drew Brees could quarterback the Bears.
4. I still think the Saints are making the playoffs. The Lions offense is not as bad as you might think, they just have a terrible defense, so I wasn't surprised at all with the result of that game.
5. Completely agree.
6. Until someone knocks them off, they certainly are.
7. Happy to say that they are.
8. Lovie Smith should be a defensive coordinator.
9. The Seahawks played the worst team in football, so I'm not going to praise them until they play a good team.
10. I do not agree with you on the Vikings, and I am going to stick with that. Brett Favre is no answer for this team. Peterson is an absolute beast, but they were facing the Browns, probably the second worst team in the league. Just watch how much the Browns suck this year.

In addition:
1. Aaron Rodgers stepped up big with his first 4th quarter comeback drive of the year. Still love him for league MVP.
2. Miami is definitely going to prove that last season was a fluke, Atlanta will prove that it was not. Tony Gonzalez was a great addition.
3. Cincinatti is worse than I thought, Denver is just as bad as I thought.
4. Philadelphia looks fantastic, they just better hope McNabb bounces back.
5. Tony romo looked really good without TO, and those that said losing him would help that offense were right. They are another reason the Giants (who didn't look that impressive against Washington at home) miss the playoffs. Dominik Hixon looked awful.
6. I hit on all three of my bets, which means I also hit the parlay, so it was a nice gambling day. Hit 11 of 14 picks so far this week against the spread, have New England (-10.5), San Diego (-10) and the Pats/Bills over 47 tonight. Two Monday night games! Woohoo!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:25 am

Buscemi wrote:
A_Roode wrote:You're not liking my Saints either. Our schedule isn't that bad and I think we can go 9-7, maybe 10-6.

As long as you've got Shockey playing, don't even think about them being great.

In retrospect, this is funny.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:10 am

I had Shockey starting (because they were at the Lions) in one of my two fantasy leagues this week. He did much better than Dallas Clark (my TE in the other league).
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:30 pm

I started Brandon Marshall over Roy Williams? What the hell was I thinking...I knew Kyle Orton couldn't get him the ball.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 pm

well, at least NOW you know that lol!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:10 am

W wrote:What we learned so far this week:

Some responses
1. Maybe true. The Jets are a solid team they for sure have a chance.
2. I still think Baltimore is good enough to make the playoffs. They dont really blow teams out they squeak out victories.
3. Not True. Like geez Cutler is good not great plus first game for the team and you have to go to Lambeau to the face the Packers not a very easy task.
4.Truth could not agree more.
5. Also true though like i said the 49ers arent really that bad.
6. 100% agree
7. The Titans are a very good team. They will proably win 12 games this year.
8.Lovie really isnt a bad coach not a great one but really not that bad.
9. Hell no Seattle still sucks they blew out the Rams that is not an impressive feat at all.
10. Perhaps. Time Will tell on that one.

A couple of other things
1. The Buffalo Bills are improving but they are still choke artists
2. Drew Brees is a magician QB.
3. The Chargers are still the most overated team in football
4. Aaron Rodgers can come through in the clutch Mad
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:22 am

transformers2 wrote:
4. Aaron Rodgers can come through in the clutch Mad

Get used to it Wink And Jay Cutler seriously always looks like he's about to cry. Probably because of the interceptions.

The Patriots should just abandon the run altogether. The reason Buffalo was even in the game is because they kept killing downs on stupid runs that netted them between -5 and 3 yards. Maybe two of them got broken for more than 5 yards. I know they threw a ton, but it should have been more. Maybe it was because Brady was just finding a rhythm, and they will throw more in the future, but they absolutely carved the Bills up when they went hurry up and passed every down. They do that all game, they win by 28. That defense is bad though, really bad. They are going to be the Saints of the AFC. But they did step up and just out-skill the Bills at the end, just like the Chargers did against the Raiders. Fun couple of games though. Think LT is really hurt? I stayed far away from him in fantasy leagues this year.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:41 am

Any team coached by Norv Turner is the most overrated team in football.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 am

Wow, that was a pretty spot on sports post that I actually agree with Buscemi. Apocalypse?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:58 pm

I dont' know if LT is really, really hurt but it looks like the Chargers might not even need him with Darren Sproles running around like Speedy Gonzalez.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Another great weekend of football! Some nice D from the Saints this weekend, especially Sharper's 97 yard interception return for a touchdown. Nice to see our first rounder Malcolm Jenkins cause a turnover on the second half kickoff that we were able to convert into a touchdown.

Philly will be interesting to watch next week with their third quarterback in as many weeks. Vick will make things interesting!
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 pm

They already announced that Kolb is starting again...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 am

He has certainly earned it! 350 yards? Donovan Who?
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:58 am

The Saints are looking very,very good. Philly is a very good team and the Saints killed them. Drew Brees is a damn animal.

Also i am also happy with the Bears stunning victory over the Steelers. Great game down to the wire one of the best games i have seen in a long time.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:01 am

I'm still unsure about the Saints defense. They did give up all of those points to the Lions and then gave up all those yards to a first time NFL starter. But, I guess 90% of their schedule they'll be able to out-shoot anyways.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:36 am

Personally I'm just waiting for October 5th so I can wear my Judas Favre t-shirt to the sports bar while I watch MNF.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:08 am

Game by game breakdown of the weekend's NFL action is up on my blog, link at the bottom.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next