The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday, Geezer!

+14
donnie
IPKI$$
numbersix_99
geezer9687
transformers2
SuperShaan
mfrendo
BarcaRulz
W
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Happy Birthday, Geezer! - Page 4 Empty Re: Happy Birthday, Geezer!

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:30 am

Guilty pleasure = bad.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 am

Have you heard "Devil Without a Cause"? It's got 3-4 decent/good songs on it... I don't understand what's wrong with that.

Nirvana was great for a short period of time. "Nevermind" and their influence on (at least) the 90's was enough for them to be up there. Just as Tupac and B.I.G. had enough in a short period of time for them to be up there in rap.

And seriously, I only know what's on the radio? I don't listen to the radio. I've tried to check out bands from now and they all seem too pop.

I can't find anything that I like nowadays. No one else is presenting much of a case for who is going to be considered genius in 20 years, just making lists. Like I said, I'd like to know so that I can check it out.

I'm going to sum up my posts real quick: I haven't seen anything in the past x amount of years that I have said, "This is one of the best." If you have, please let me know.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am

I'm not saying that no one is going to be up there, just that I haven't found anyone in a while and I haven't heard acclaim otherwise.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 am

How exactly can someone make a case for what is going to be considered good 20 years from now? All they can do is list what they consider really good, because in their opinion, this is what is great, and most likely, what will still be great and what they will still listen to, in 20 years. Maybe if you presented some actual reason why you think the older stuff is so great, people could try and match newer artists to your taste, but really thats all it is, a matter of personal opinion and taste. You haven't presented a case for any reason why the stuff from 20 years ago is great either, just said that thats the way it is because other people said so.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 am

I could list a number of bands which I personally believe are absolutely innovative and deserve acclaim for what they have produced. But in all likelyhood, they are not well known enough now, and so very unlikely to be heralded as a standard in years to come. The acts I listed earlier have become well known enough now for me to honestly believe they will be seen as so in years to come, but if you seriously want some idea of what to look for which I do not refer to as 'pop', I can only suggest as follows:

The Mars Volta
Nine Inch Nails
Black Mountain
Arcade Fire
Hope Of The States
The Libertines
McLusky
Mogwai
Massive Attack
Muse
Radiohead
Sonic Youth
Smashing Pumpkins
Manic Street Preachers
TV On The Radio
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
Portishead
Panda Bear
Battles
The National
Blonde Redhead

I'm sure there are more, but these are just off the top of my head.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:11 am

I would say as far as what I like (mostly)...

Stuff that has meaning and people that write their own stuff which I think is important considering you're the one that wrote it. Clapton writes a song about his dead son, people get emotional.

The president asks Cash to sing a song at a rally (or something like that) so he does "Ira Hayes" about the plight of Native Americans and people are floored.

Also, instrumental innovation (esp blues/rock).

Or stuff that's funny.

And what makes music that's going to be considered great in 20 years (in my opinion)? Its stuff that isn't forgotten. It's stuff that you can tell at the time is so much better than mainstream. It's innovative. It's great lyrics usually written by the artist. And yes, it has a lot to do with others preferences, but when something truly great is put out, it's usually opens people's eyes. The Beatles were the biggest band in the world when they released The White Album and people were like, WOW. I've heard of people that had the radio on in the 50's, heard "I Walk the Line" and said, "My God!"

Anyways, those are my thoughts... It all started from a Simpsons joke...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm

There are also bands like the Stooges and Velvet Underground, who are not big at all during the time their around, then get big based on the HUGE influence they were on every band that followed.

It's actually been said that the Velvet Underground only sold 100,000 copies, but that everyone who bought one started a band.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:23 pm

You guys are still talking about this?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:50 pm

yeah, nothing wrong with Herman's Hermits... if you're looking for BAD 60s pop-music, you haven't even scratched the surface

...but, trust me, it's THERE

Last edited by NSpan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:59 pm

I'm not going to go as far as some, but your nostalgia is a bit severe W, to the point of being silly because as many have said it is all subjective. Putting things in perspective, it is much like saying TDK or LOTR weren't/couldn't be truly great films because they're modern, and no modern movie can live up to the greatness of The Godfather, because they just don't make movies like that anymore.
In truth no matter your opinion on those two films, there is no denying that they were great and meaningful films of our time, the same with many of the bands people are mentioning here, in reality maybe 5 of all those listed will be remembered in 20 years, but I would say there have been some names repeated that certainly have a decent shot.
Just like in film, in music you also have to realize in the past there was a limited supply, people put out a record maybe once every 3 years or so in most cases. Now many bands crank out an album every year or sometimes less, and basically anyone can record their own album it doesn't take major studio backing like it did in the past. Radio stations are so glutted with content, and so driven to focus marketing that the "mainstream" becomes a big homogeneous sampling. So really it is pretty difficult to stumble across something worthwhile on the mainstream radio these days regardless of genre.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 pm

okay, W, for a more refined list of the absolute best, here ya go:

Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) -- heavy, melodic grunge. great songwriting and compositions. impressive musicianship
Black Mountain / Lightning Dust / Pink Mountaintops -- retro-garage rock. heavy as hell but mesmerizing psychedelic rock
Dan the Automator (Dr. Octagon, Gorillaz, Lovage, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Peeping Tom, Deltron 3030) -- hiphop at its finest
Elf Power -- quirky psychedelic rock. niche lyrics but universal sounds. merges glam with grunge--and happily nerds-it-up in the process
Frank Black (Pixies) -- does anything need to be said? personally, Frank Black's recent embrace of country music is a perfect fit
Jack White (White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather) / Greenhornes (Raconteurs) -- songwriting and musicianship bundled into one person.. a star
NIN -- industrial music gets dismissed as a fad every year.. yet, 20 years later, it's still relevant
Old Crow Medicine Show -- the best anti-Nashville country you'll find on the market today
Toadies / Burden Brothers -- straight up ROCK.. nuff said
Warlocks / Brian Jonestown Massacre -- AUTHENTIC lo-fi psychedelic garage rock.. honestly, some of my favorite music of this century
Ween -- The Beatles' White Album meets Steely Dan.. an odd description but probably one of the highest honors i could bestow upon modern music

honorable mention: Muse

that's eleven modern acts and artists (with directly associated acts listed) that i think are worthy of any conversation talking about old school "greats" such as The Doors, The Byrds, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Derek & the Dominos, Queen, AC/DC, Yes, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, David Bowie, Hendrix, etc. If that list of "greats" isn't up to snuff, how about this? Any band that isn't the Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks, or the Rolling Stones..

anyway, my challenge: pick a band/artist/group (or two if you want) that sounds intriguing to you, and I will happily make you an 80-minute compilation of their work that, i expect, will change your mind about this whole theory of yours...

the fact that you specifically brought Ween up as an example of a laughable submission compels me to show you otherwise.. i could easily throw together a single disc of Ween that would convert you into a fan.. and, not just a fan, but someone who admittedly would place them amongst the Hall of Greats

whatdya think, W? i'm offering to hold your hand and guide you toward your first tastes of the best of modern music... willing?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Also,

Black Tide
In This Moment
Matchbook Romance

Are pretty epic bands
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Dan The Automator (though he has done some good stuff) sound similar to the guy in Extract with the five different bands.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Span, did you somehow call Gorillaz hip hop at its finest???
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:35 pm

I will check those out Nspan. I was/am a big fan of Rage Against the Machine and thought Audioslave was decent, though not near as good. I've heard a few from Soundgarden with mixed results.

NIN has some really great stuff, Hurt, Closer, etc. I've got Downward Spiral, Further Down, and The Fragile.

I would consider these guys as 90's. Also, weren't The Pixies a forerunner to Nirvana?

I'm gonna go ahead and look up Old Crow now just to see what its about.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:20 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Span, did you somehow call Gorillaz hip hop at its finest???
no, I was saying that Dan the Automator (a producer) is responsible for some of the best hip-hop I've heard--specifically Handsome Boy Modeling School, Dr. Octagon, and Deltron 3030.. though there are momentary flashes of it on the first Gorillaz record.. He also does rock, metal, techno, rap, blues, and reggae albums.. i'd call him this generation's George Martin..

W wrote:I would consider these guys as 90's.
1988 - Soundgarden - Ultramega OK
1989 - Soundgarden - Louder than Love
1991 - Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
1994 - Soundgarden - Superunknown
1996 - Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
1999 - Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
2002 - Audioslave - Audioslave
2005 - Audioslave - Out of Exile
2006 - Audioslave - Revelations
2007 - Chris Cornell - Carry On
2009 - Chris Cornell - Scream

1989 - NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
1992 - NIN - Broken
1994 - NIN - The Downward Spiral
1999 - NIN - The Fragile
2005 - NIN - With Teeth
2007 - NIN - Year Zero
2008 - NIN - Ghosts I–IV
2008 - NIN - The Slip

1988 - Pixies - Surfer Rosa
1989 - Pixies - Doolittle
1990 - Pixies - Bossanova
1991 - Pixies - Trompe le Monde
1993 - Frank Black - Frank Black
1994 - Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
1996 - Frank Black - The Cult of Ray
1998 - Frank Black - Frank Black and the Catholics
1999 - Frank Black - Pistolero
2000 - Frank Black - Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
2001 - Frank Black - Dog in the Sand
2002 - Frank Black - Black Letter Days
2002 - Frank Black - Devil's Workshop
2003 - Frank Black - Show Me Your Tears
2004 - Frank Black - Frank Black Francis
2005 - Frank Black - Honeycomb
2006 - Frank Black - Fast Man Raider Man
2007 - Frank Black - Bluefinger
2009 - Grand Duchy
(FB & Wife) - Petits Fours

as i said, some of the artists i mentioned didn't get their start in the 21st century.. but, for those, i made sure only to list acts that were still making relevant music into the 2000s.. as it stands now, about half of their material was written and released after 2000--and none of these three guys show any signs of stopping.. their 21st century catalogues are all about to (or already have) outweigh their early work..

I'm gonna go ahead and look up Old Crow now just to see what its about.
i'd start with the 2006 album "Big Iron World"

sorry for another list-y post..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4