The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday, Geezer!

+14
donnie
IPKI$$
numbersix_99
geezer9687
transformers2
SuperShaan
mfrendo
BarcaRulz
W
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Happy Birthday, Geezer! Empty Happy Birthday, Geezer!

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:13 am

To Geez,

The guy who has prevailed in more Regulars Leagues than any other Fantaversian;

The guy who has made more cuts than any other player;

The guy who has earned more IMs (I think) than any other player, and who has been cut fewer times (one, tied with several others) than most every other player.

The guy who has driven Buscemi to the brink of madness several times;

The guy who has been playing this game just about as long as anyone who is still doing it;

The guy who, basically, is the Albert Pujols of the Fantaverse. If only there were a way to pitch around him in THIS game...

Happy birthday, my friend. You're only 22, and yet you are wiser than 99% of those who share your birth-year. I commend you, and I applaud you, and I hope I get to shake your hand one day.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday, Geezer! Empty Re: Happy Birthday, Geezer!

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:18 am

Happy birthday, my friendly rival.

And have some cake. You want some cake. (name the song with this lyric)
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:13 am

happy bidet, little buddy. i'm gonna find my way up to CT and NYC to visit some family and friends in the coming months. maybe we can finally get that beer.

Happy Birthday, Geezer! Birthday%20hobbes
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 am

Shrykespeare wrote:You're only 22, and yet you are wiser than 99% of those who share your birth-year.

Shryke, I take this as a direct insult to my intelligence Evil or Very Mad

Happy Birthday Geez, congrats on winning every league in existence, including the recent Draft League. I'm coming for the crown this time though...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:38 am

HAppy BDay, you feeling old yet? im deathly afraid of turning 22..... knock on wood
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:26 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:You're only 22, and yet you are wiser than 99% of those who share your birth-year.

Shryke, I take this as a direct insult to my intelligence Evil or Very Mad

Um, sorry Banks, would it help if I told you that I include you in that 1% as well? silent

(Don't remember the last time I back-pedalled that furiously...)
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:51 am

It's ok, Burns doesn't know what is or isn't punk either :)

Happy Birthday
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:55 am

Here's my birthday present for you, from me.
Spoiler:

Don't forget to tip.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 am

I have turned into "The Man." (spoilering Buscemi's pic) It's kind of fun, but very saddening.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 am

undeadmonkey wrote:HAppy BDay, you feeling old yet? im deathly afraid of turning 22..... knock on wood

I felt the same way. I don't know why, 22 isn't really that different to 20.

Happy Birthday Geez, hope you are having a great one!

PS: I'm in the 1% of those in your birth year that are wiser than you. Wink
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:43 am

Happy Birthday buddy. Make it a good one.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:03 pm

"have the rolling stones killed"

genius
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Happy Birthday, Geez. Hope you have a great day.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Happy birthday geez. Have a good one dude.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks a ton guys. It's times like these that remind me how special this place is. I've accumulated over 3500 posts from here and over there combined. Granted, some more educated than others, some irrational, some trivial, some with more passion, but I hope each one has made some sort of contribution to keeping this place alive.

I always think back to my first discovery of the boards over there. It was in the almighty Tuan's nominate a 21st century masterpiece thread, where the post was nominating V for Vendetta (and Nico's response to it, that even then made me realize how special this community is). This was about 2 years ago. I remember my first slate I have made coming in second place, back in June of 07. I was hooked ever since.

I pride myself in my ability to play this game and the achievements I have earned in it, so those words mean a lot to me Shryke. I play one slate per season per game, always have and always will, because I set out to make the absolute best possible slate each season. If I were to manipulate it and produce multiple versions, it would only show a doubt in myself and contradiction in what would come out as the best. I attribute this as a big factor of my success.

I know I've butted heads with a few of you at times, namely Buscemi and W. And if I have offended you at any point I am sorry. I just get really passionate in my arguments when I feel they are worth making. I don't have anything against you guys, even if we disagree. The fantaverse would be significantly worse off if we lost either one of you.

Thanks again for the birthday wishes and kind words (even though my birthday isn't actually til tomorrow, and I intend on doing nothing out of the ordinary). 22 only seems old because I'm out of school now, and still haven't figured out where to go from here.

NSpan, if you make it up here, absolutely. I need to know if your comedy genius continues into real life.

And just for W, i spent the last half hour searching through my music polls to find one specific page documenting my feelings about the Ramones. I figured since its already been well documented, I would rather find what I've already said rather than try and make the argument all over again. The guy who listens to country music tells me I don't know what Punk is? Muah ah ah! Twisted Evil I'd defend the Ramones to my death, and own pretty much their entire discography.

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net/polls-f6/fm-best-artists-in-the-history-of-rock-and-roll-tournament-page-1986-present-t98-15.htm
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Actually, that was a joke about the Blink 182 conversation. And I'm not a fan of country music, I'm a fan of music that isn't crap. It includes some great country music, some great classical rock, some great punk, some (very little) great older rap, some great jazz, and on and on (til' the break of dawn?).

If you think Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr, Willie, Merle, and Waylon suck, please listen a little longer.

I recently created a Buddy Holly station on my Pandora...

Anyways, just wanted to clarify a couple of points... Have a good one.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 pm

You are a fan of music that you find pleasing to your ears, no music is technically crap, as every type appeals to someone. Its the most subjective thing in the world.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:01 am

Extract has a country music soundtrack that you might enjoy, W.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:30 am

geezer9687 wrote:You are a fan of music that you find pleasing to your ears, no music is technically crap, as every type appeals to someone. Its the most subjective thing in the world.

I like stuff with some sort of meaning behind it usually. Music nowadays isn't people that are looking for some sort of meaning behind things or creating a masterpiece that going to rock people's socks off until the end of time. It's totally poppified. It's "I love you" with nothing behind it. It's, "I'm going to take this song written by someone else and turn it into something so disposable that you won't even remember it a year from now."

Even when Elvis was stealing songs from black musicians back in the day, at least he was making them his own. You know what I mean? All of the country musicians are singing about "Badonk-a-donks" and "beer guts" nowadays instead of true love songs like "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" or the straight from the heart "Ring of Fire" (written by June--with fine tuning from a couple of others--for Johnny) or social commentary (most Dylan) and "Ira Hayes" by Cash. And that's pretty much true for all of the popular charts, though I haven't paid attention since about 2000-2002.

In my opinion, we're slacking musically these days (or the right people aren't being heard). I don't see anything coming out that people are going to say, "That guy ranks up there with The Beatles, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash..." We're just in the "A new 'favorite song' every month" era.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:29 am

let's not idealize the past TOO much, W. the three biggest hits of the 70s were recorded by Abba, the Village People, and a duet between John Travolta and Olivia Newton John..

there will always be people playing, recording, and producing good music.. and there will always be plenty of people supporting shitty music.. if anything, we're fortunate in that we have more access to music than ever before.. if you don't think people are recording "meaningful" music in the 21st century, you aren't looking hard enough
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:02 am

I believe that in twenty years, we will be Gaga Roll'ng people.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:46 am

NSpan wrote:let's not idealize the past TOO much, W. the three biggest hits of the 70s were recorded by Abba, the Village People, and a duet between John Travolta and Olivia Newton John..

there will always be people playing, recording, and producing good music.. and there will always be plenty of people supporting shitty music.. if anything, we're fortunate in that we have more access to music than ever before.. if you don't think people are recording "meaningful" music in the 21st century, you aren't looking hard enough

Where is it? Where's the artists that we're going to look back in 20 years and say "GENIUS!"? I don't see it? Are we going to make an argument for Coldplay as one of the best bands ever? Nope. Who's in that argument since the death of Kurt Cobain fifteen (or so, I'm not looking it up) years ago?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:48 am

And I didn't say that there was no crap before, just that I can't find anything nowadays that compares to the best of the 50's, 60's and 70's.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:59 am

Geezer,

Although we have very different tastes, I consider you my ally. For in this world of mixed reactions I consider you to be true to who you are. So many people split themselves into films they like and films they think they like, but you are a genuine person. Like me, you and I understand that there is onl;y 1 way of appreciating a film, and I appreciate you for understanding that. You are a genuine person, and one of the highlights of this forum, even when we disagree. I save my compliments for few so I hope you appreciate this.

Your friend

Six
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:25 am

W wrote:
NSpan wrote:let's not idealize the past TOO much, W. the three biggest hits of the 70s were recorded by Abba, the Village People, and a duet between John Travolta and Olivia Newton John..

Where is it? Where's the artists that we're going to look back in 20 years and say "GENIUS!"? I don't see it? Are we going to make an argument for Coldplay as one of the best bands ever? Nope. Who's in that argument since the death of Kurt Cobain fifteen (or so, I'm not looking it up) years ago?

You don't see it because only hindsight is 20/20.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next