The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buscemi's Pros and Cons (September Predictions)

+5
silversurfer19
NSpan
geezer9687
W
Buscemi
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Buscemi's Pros and Cons (September Predictions) - Page 2 Empty Re: Buscemi's Pros and Cons (September Predictions)

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Megan Fox is already a star.

No she's not. She may be a sex symbol and a sex object, but she is not a star. A star means leading your own films day in and day out and being successful nine times out of ten. She isn't that. She's a flavor of the week.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Buscemi's Pros and Cons (September Predictions) - Page 2 Empty Re: Buscemi's Pros and Cons (September Predictions)

Post by Shrykespeare Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am

Buscemi wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Megan Fox is already a star.

No she's not. She may be a sex symbol and a sex object, but she is not a star. A star means leading your own films day in and day out and being successful nine times out of ten. She isn't that. She's a flavor of the week.

I really have to agree. Her career will be long dead by the time she hits 30.

As for Death Race, I absolutely loved it. Everything I love in a pure violent switch-your-brain-off action film. If Gamer approaches that level, I'll be more than happy.

But what worries me is the weekend. Sure, Gamer is coming out on a holiday weekend, but not exactly a weekend associated with movie-going. First weekend of September is habitually one of the weakest weekends of the year (though not as bad as the weekend after Thanksgiving). Only one film debuted on that weekend last year, and it tanked horribly (Bangkok Dangerous). Given the history, even a $15 million opening for Gamer would be a success.

I have a sneaking suspicion that as truly awful as All About Steve looks, it'll probably win the weekend. Only a scarce few know it was postponed, and it's probably best that it was. It has a female lead (Bullock) and a male lead (Cooper) that are coming of BONZO summer comedies. Unless the reviews are absolutely horrible (and maybe not even then), it has the potential to reach $20 million. As for me, well, I'll wait for Bullock's December film, which looks about a billion times better.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 am

No, she IS a star.

I never said she was any good or that she'll be around for decades to come. Yes, she's a sex symbol, but she's also a movie star. I don't know how you can be a flavor of the week for 2-3 years....
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:35 am

Under your definition of "star", that also makes the kids from The Hills stars. Am I right?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:41 am

Have they been a main character in two movies that have grossed over $700M worldwide?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:46 am

But she played a character that anyone could have played. In fact, the main characters in the Transformers movies are the Transformers. The humans are secondary.

Here is a case where your logic is flawed: Lena Headey in 300. Apparently she played a lead character but her character is often thought of as secondary. This is why Headey's career never took off and why she is stuck in straight-to-video land. Same goes with nearly every Bond girl in the James Bond films.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

Yeah, anyone could played any part in any movie every made. But she did play that part, and got famous off of it, and both movies were ridicolously huge hits.

Lena Heady? She's in one hit movie for about 10 minutes. Not exactly a good comparison.

Again, I'm not saying she's the biggest movie star in the world or she's particulary talented in any area, other than looking like something most men in the world would love to suck on. But to deny that she is a star is well....denial.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 am

Seriously, it is flawed logic. To become a star, you need a breakout role where people notice you. That was not a breakout role. And people spent their time looking at the cars and explosions. People only noticed her because she was in Maxim.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:16 am

Megan Fox is basically one of the explosions in the Transformers series. She'll play a similar role in JB. People don't care much about acting in films like these unless its extremely horrible.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 am

Exactly. Her acting is extremely horrible. And in Transformers, she had no purpose to plot. It was just showing cars go really fast and blowing shit up. Seriously, these movies don't need actors to do well.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 pm

She is famous. She is not in any way, shape or form, a star. they could have gotten a blind mute who was hot to play the character and she would have done as well or better (the lack of talking would be a certain improvement).
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 pm

I actually think Jennifer's Body has a decent chance to do pretty well. The ads are aimed at the exact demographic that brought Juno to $100mil...Granted, this is definitely not Juno and it seems Diablo Cody's semi-failure of a TV show has killed her career's potential, but I think that her name, Meagan Fox's everything, and Amanda Seyfried's adorable-ness could take it to $50-60 mil. I don't really see the competition for it no matter how low awareness is. And, personally I think it looks awesome. Yeah, Megan fox isn't a phenomenal actress by any stretch of the imagination, but she's playing a hot vampire so she really doesn't have to be. All I know is that it's one of my more anticipated movies for the fall.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 pm

People will see Jennifer's Body because of... Jennifer's body!
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Part of W's column on what to look for on box office success is "what are the people around you saying about this movie." Well, if it means anythng to you, I know guys that are organizing trips to see this movie just for the fact that Megan Fox is in it and has far less clothes on than she did in Transformers. She is a draw because she is hot. The people that will actually see this movie do not care whether or not she can act. Horror films in general have a built in audience, and that audience doesn't care about acting or storyline for the most part. Add in the fact the you have Megan Fox, and the film has a 40 million floor. Fox is a positive for this film, not a negative.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 pm

She plays a cannibal, not a vampire. Can you think of any comedies about cannibalism that have done well?

And competition (this faces Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, Love Happens, I Can Do Bad All By Myself, Sorority Row and The Informant) as well as all of the film's negatives (the ones besides Megan Fox) will cause it to die a quick death at the box office.

I also recommend not taking it in Ultimates. There I expect 0 Top 5, 0 PTA and a 5.5 IMDb rating.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:44 pm

You guys seem to not know what a "star" is.

movie star
noun
a star who plays leading roles in the cinema [syn: film star]

And from Webster's:

a : the principal member of a theatrical or operatic company who usually plays the chief roles b : a highly publicized theatrical or motion-picture performer

Now that she is playing the lead in Jennifer's Body, she is indeed a star. Nowhere does it say they have to be fucking Daniel Day Lewis, hell Arnold Schwarzanegger is/was a star and who ever said he could act? You don't think Megan Fox is highly publicized?

Again, letting your personal opinions get in the way...

And how the hell can someone be a famous actress and not be a movie star? LOL, that's what the fuck a star is.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm

And Buscemi, you just said people didn't care about what she says or does in her movie. So how exactly would being a cannibal stop anyone from seeing a Megan Fox movie?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:45 am

Comedies about cannibals simply don't do well. Anyone remember Ravenous with Guy Pearce? Absolutely no one saw that film (despite the fact that it was a good dark comedy).

Also Banks, you left out one thing on your list of what makes a star:

-the films where they play the lead must make money

And often, movies with actors in their first lead roles flop (examples: Andy Samberg in Hot Rod, Rainn Wilson in The Rocker, any lead role with Skeet Ulrich or Liev Schreiber).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:09 am

Well, the movie hasn't even come out yet.

And, really? You're just adding your own criteria to a definition now?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:17 am

It's true. To become a star, the film that the actor or actress is in as the lead needs to be successful. If it isn't successful, his or her career does not take off.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:29 am

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? Megan Fox's career has already taken off, she's not looking for a breakout role. She's already established.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:33 am

Do you call three supporting roles where no one really noticed her established? People only know her from her pictorials and from tabloid reports. Can you think of any cases where one's personal life overshadowed their acting career but still went on to have a thriving acting career?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 am

I noticed her... oh boy did I notice her Shocked
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 am

But I bet it wasn't in the movies. Wink
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:49 am

OK well I see that you're not going to get it. So yes, many people noticed her in the first Transformers which made her famous. She's famous plus she is an actress, so yes she's a star.

And you can't tell the future. How do you know she won't have a thriving acting career?

And to answer your question, Reese Witherspoon, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Tom Cruise, Christian Bale, Robert Downey Jr., Mickey Rourke, Cameron Diaz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Drew Barrymore, Jessica Alba, Eddie Murphy, Hugh Grant, etc etc
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum