The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is This Legal?

+2
Donte77
W
6 posters

Go down

Is This Legal? Empty Is This Legal?

Post by W Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:16 pm

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/now-redbox-is-suing-fox-over-kiosk-dvds

I would think that it violates anti-trust laws for starters.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Is This Legal? Empty Re: Is This Legal?

Post by Donte77 Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Ok I hate legal-ese language but let me see if I understand this.

Fox wants Redbox to wait 30 days until it can rent Fox movies in the kiosks. Redbox wants to be able to rent them at anytime. Fox says fine we won't sell you any. Redbox sues.

Is that all correct?

If so I don't see the case. I work at a business that sells to people. If we don't want to sell to people, we don't. I even have a little box in the Customer Info that I can check to not allow that customer to purchase from us. I don't think you can mandate that a company sell their product to another company. But hey, the lawyers get their cut of the legal fees so who cares right? Rolling Eyes

edit: And that was 1600 posts. At least I used it ranting about lawyers...
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 pm

But if you sold to EVERYONE but that one company, that wouldn't be illegal?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I don't think so. I think it is a company's right to sell to whoever they choose. I don't think anybody should be mandated by the government to do anything with their product. Whether it is legal or illegal doesn't apply to my thinking however. Smile

For example, for years BMW North America (the BMW motorcycle brand here) mandated that the dealers not sell any other motorcycle in the store. They had to be BMW only. If you wanted to sell other motorcycles, they had to be in a separate shop or storefront. Of course this backfired and the BMW dealers around the country started folding one by one. Now they have relaxed the rule so that dealers can sell BMW along with other brand such as Victory or Triumph, etc in the same store. The economics dictated the contracts and changes, not law.

Plus I assume there are hundreds of pages to this failed contract negotiation that we aren't aware of. And even if we read it all it would be in legal gibberish. LOL

I just don't think government should be getting involved in business most of the time. It is government mandated insurance laws that make insurance so necessary and expensive. Without them, the companies would have to fight for customers, thus making the rates and terms better in the long run for the average person.

edit: And not to change the subject but I pass 1600 posts and get Ratzo???!!! How odd.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm

I was just wondering if its legal. I'm sure it will backfire on them as more and more people are using the Redbox system (as well as Netflix) and shunning Blockbusters, Hollywood Videos, and such. Soon enough I believe Redbox will have a larger and larger share of the market, hence buying more DVDs. But will it ever be enough to make them wish they would have backed down? I'm not sure.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 pm

It is a good market in a bad economy. Movies for a buck. Nothing will ever tear me away from my Netflix love affair but for the average person it is convenient. Since I never eat fast food and I don't like shopping, I only see them at Wal-marts. LOL But they are at EVERY Walmart and in NW Arkansas there are a lot of fucking Walmarts.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 am

I usually hate Fox, and am not sure of the legalities, but I'm with them on this one. Mainly because if redbox takes over all other vending outlets, such as chains, consumers are now left with ONLY new releases to rent, as that's all they have in redbox outlets. That would suck for video companies and consumers.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 am

I was not aware that Redbox only rented new releases. (I have never actually looked at one, just saw the machine sitting in the corner) I suppose that would change how Fox wants their movies distributed.

The reason I went to Netflix is because my local video stores carried 67 copies of Titanic and practically ZERO classic or foreign films. I suppose that is why I avoid the standard video store altogether now.

If Netflix died, I would mourn. Sad
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:20 am

Netflix will never die. In fact, it will probably swallow up Blockbuster one of these days.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 am

Buscemi wrote:Netflix will never die. In fact, it will probably swallow up Blockbuster one of these days.

I would say that Netflix + Redbox are the way of the future and will do great business for at least 20 years (like video stores). If they are complacent (which they don't seem to be) they will get passed by someone else that's inventive after some other huge invention makes life easier.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 am

I actually see the apple tv box and such contraptions as the way of the future, once they become more affordable. Download or rent any movie whenever you want. Dvds will become obsolete just like the CDs are starting too.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:59 am

I don't think will see anything that surpasses DVD or Blu-Ray unless it can play every James Bond movie on one disc/chip/whatever. And it can rewrite itself to include new material.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 am

undeadmonkey wrote:I actually see the apple tv box and such contraptions as the way of the future, once they become more affordable. Download or rent any movie whenever you want. Dvds will become obsolete just like the CDs are starting too.

Netflix will eventually get the bugs worked out with their Instant Viewing option and get more titles, I'm sure.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Netflix instant is already working pretty friggin well, they do need more content but they're adding all the time and already have a deal with STARZ (satellite channel) to offer the newer movies they are currently running. I've been very happy with it.

I've never actually used redbox, but I do see it (or similar) at the grocery stores I go to all the time, and it seems pretty miserably limited. The main store I go to only offers THREE movies to choose from at any given time.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 pm

A lot of Redbox content is online, you have to physically go to the kiosk to rent a movie, but you go to Redbox.com and you can find which film is in which kiosk and you can rent it and pick it up later that day. Also, you can return the film to whichever Redbox you want. There's a lot of smaller towns around here and if I'm going through that town, I'll rent it there. Then when I'm going by another one (they're in pretty convenient locations around here) I'll take it back there.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Reasons I love Netflix.

#12 I do not EVER have to leave the house.

Smile
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:19 am

I borrowed someone's instant viewing account to see how it is and my experiance is that it is utter crap. It keeps buffering on me every five minutes. I ended up just finding the film (From Dusk Till Dawn) on YouTube...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:21 am

Netflix instant viewing doesn't work on dial-up, W.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 am

I have only had it do that to me once or twice but I am on a super fast connection at work. Only problem I have with instant viewing is that you have to watch it in one sitting. Not very easy to forward to minute 73 for the rest of the film.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:31 am

I'm not on dial-up anymore. I'm supposed to have a 10 meg (I think that's the word) connection...

But Donte, you've had that happen before, meaning that it may not happen if I try it again?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:09 am

Maybe not, just depends on the download speed and how busy the server is that you are buffering from. I am on a T3 at work which is just slower than light speed but it still takes some videos a while because they upload slower than others.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 pm

W wrote:I borrowed someone's instant viewing account to see how it is and my experiance is that it is utter crap. It keeps buffering on me every five minutes. I ended up just finding the film (From Dusk Till Dawn) on YouTube...
Buscemi wrote:Netflix instant viewing doesn't work on dial-up, W.

mmm yea. 5meg is the lowest offering from my cable company, and is what I have, it has always worked great except for a brief time when my modem was getting bad signal. If you have low BW or crappy signal, hard copy is the way to go as netflix or ANY streaming medium is probably not for you.

Donte77 wrote:I have only had it do that to me once or twice but I am on a super fast connection at work. Only problem I have with instant viewing is that you have to watch it in one sitting. Not very easy to forward to minute 73 for the rest of the film.
Is your work taking you through a proxy? From home I automatically resume where I left off, but at work I have the same problem where I have to start over, I'm betting because I'm going out through a shared proxy in London.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 pm

Is your work taking you through a proxy? From home I automatically resume where I left off, but at work I have the same problem where I have to start over, I'm betting because I'm going out through a shared proxy in London.[/quote]

Exactly, out of Chicago. Plus we have all sorts of encryption, firewalls, etc running and that may also have something to do with it.

I still can't get a torrent to run correctly on our computers here. Sad
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 pm

So how did we go from a conversation about lawsuits to a conversation about technologies?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 am

Our brains are too high powered to be held in place by one topic.
Idea
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: