The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOTL/Hangover Weekend Tracking

+18
jess_sayin
Donte77
becs
thswrestler160
J-Man
undeadmonkey
aquamann2001
nickb1016
geezer9687
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
Nycguy84
transformers2
W
J.I.
BarcaRulz
BanksIsDaFuture
JackO
22 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

LOTL/Hangover Weekend Tracking - Page 2 Empty Re: LOTL/Hangover Weekend Tracking

Post by nickb1016 Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:37 pm

A lot of people expected this to do business like the Strangers, but that movie did well because it looked scary and that line "because you were home". Drag Me to Hell tried to sell itself as a fun goodtime, but people who flock to the horror films dont go for a good time, they go to be scared. As good as the film may be it just didnt come off extremely scary. They should never have played up the humor aspect in the ads. If it would have stuck strictly to the thrills aspect then it would have made alot more money

nickb1016
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

LOTL/Hangover Weekend Tracking - Page 2 Empty Re: LOTL/Hangover Weekend Tracking

Post by W Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 am

When you have someone like Justin Long as the #2 actor/ess, you really can't downplay the humor aspect. Not saying he's a comic genius or anything, just that his brand of "acting" is the sarcastic young person...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:17 am

Hangover might get to 100 due to the word of mouth factor. The early reviews say that its great and the trailer reaction has been fantastic. I know this is irrevlent to its succes but I can tell you i will be in a seat this weekend or the next to see The Hangover.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 am

You can sense these things. For example, why is Bumblebee singing?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:30 am

Bumblebee wasnt singing in Transformers trailer it was the radio he is a car afterall Very Happy
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 am

But why is he still using the radio if he got his voice restored at the end of the first one?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by nickb1016 Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:00 am

W wrote:When you have someone like Justin Long as the #2 actor/ess, you really can't downplay the humor aspect. Not saying he's a comic genius or anything, just that his brand of "acting" is the sarcastic young person...

I agree that Justin Long is a comedic actor and his being in the trailer does hint at the humor aspect, however they should have downplayed him in the marketing. When this was advertised as movie with humor, which also as you say featured a fairly well known comedic actor the movie lost credibility with the horror crowd. The marketing crowd messed up.

I dont think there is anything laughout loud funny in the ads for the Saw films or Haunting in Connecticut or any other hit scary movie released recently. I liked the part about even nice people can go to hell, it was ominous and creepy. If they would have just stuck to that it could have done what early tracking was suggesting

nickb1016
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:46 am

I loved the tagline they used though:

"Christine has a good job, a good boyfriend, and a good life. And in three days, she's going to hell."

That alone makes me want to see it, but I'm going to wait til I can download a good copy.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:But why is he still using the radio if he got his voice restored at the end of the first one?

good question. you got me on that one. Perhaps he felt like using the radio Wink
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by aquamann2001 Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 pm

aquamann2001 tracking shows that the Hangover is gonna take land of the lost this weekend.

aquamann2001
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:47 pm

On DHD it says that The Hangover has 21% of Fandango's advance ticket sales, and Land of the Lost has 6%. (Up has 44%)

EDIT: Notfabio is saying his theater sold 395 tickets for The Hangover at midnight, and 14 for Land of the Lost. The Hangover has clinched beating Land of the Lost this weekend.

Land of the Lost ended up having worse midnights than Semi-Pro, and sources are saying that The Hangover is having strong matinees.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:02 am

Mase's numbers:

UP $13.5M Fri/$45M 3-day
THE HANGOVER $17M Fri/$44M 3-day
LAND OF THE LOST $8M Fri/$23M 3-day
NIGHT OF THE MUSEUM 2 $4.5M Fri/$14.8M 3-day
MY LIFE IN RUINS $1.25M Fri/$4M 3-day

$17 million and $44 million. Wow. That's more that the director's last film in its entire run. That's also more than Observe and Report (a much better dark comedy from the same studio and producers) in its entire run. Thank you, W.

And Land Of The Lost is very much looking like Speed Racer from last year.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 am

I KNEW IT... I COULD FEEL IT IN MY NUGGETS. I've rarely seen a trailer get a better audience reception than The Hangovers one, and I knew it would break out.

LOTL is very surprising though. I didn't think it would do too well, but definitely not that bad.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:40 am

Umm... You haven't seen the Hangover (have you?) so how do you know that its better? Ok, so The Hangover has an 8.3 IMDB and Observe and Report has a 6.8. I can't get the rottentomatoes site to work right now, but I bet TH is much better rated there than OAR as well.

BTW, I thought LOTL would open a little higher (enough to hit $80 M) but it doesn't look like it'll do so now.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 am

Very Happy Good thing I have The Hangover on possibly every slate imaginable. 8.3 IMDb looks great as well.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:48 am

W wrote:Umm... You haven't seen the Hangover (have you?) so how do you know that its better? Ok, so The Hangover has an 8.3 IMDB and Observe and Report has a 6.8. I can't get the rottentomatoes site to work right now, but I bet TH is much better rated there than OAR as well.

BTW, I thought LOTL would open a little higher (enough to hit $80 M) but it doesn't look like it'll do so now.

I did see The Hangover tonight. It's a little bit too similar to other films (such as Very Bad Things and Superbad) and some things could have been changed or redone (such as the subplot involving Ed Helms' character), but it's still watchable.

Meanwhile, I feel that people don't like Observe and Report solely because it's dark and Seth Rogen played against type. But in ten years, I believe we'll be viewing Observe and Report as a comedy classic while viewing The Hangover as another Apatow wannabe.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:51 am

Crap, i just saw the numbers on DHD, I'm seriously kicking myself for not putting The Hangover on ALL my slates, instead of just a few
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:59 am

If this is an Apatow wannabe, then Apatow wants to be Old School... It reminds me more of that type of cult comedy (a little bit grown up) than a Superbad (more teen), talking about the crowd age. Observe and Report isn't going to be anything more than a throwaway film in every sense of the word... It just doesn't look funny (I'm so very turned off by the trailers and how horrible Paul Blart was). Kissing someone that just puked doesn't seem funny to me (at least not here).

It seems to be completely over the top, but dry at the same time and it doesn't work for me. Hangover looks to be a throwback to the time when Old School helped to shape the comedy genre, then it kind of went haywire in the post-Anchorman era (for me). I just can't seem to find as many good comedies these days. Seems like a good step backwards for me. I'll know tomorrow. :)
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:03 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:Crap, i just saw the numbers on DHD, I'm seriously kicking myself for not putting The Hangover on ALL my slates, instead of just a few

Umm... I did.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Old School shaped the comedy genre? Apparently that newsflash got past me because Old School was simply Animal House for the 2000's and nothing else. In fact, it was probably just the director's previous Road Trip with older characters.

I'd say Anchorman shaped it better than Old School, considering that it made Will Ferrell and Judd Apatow hot properties plus every big comedy actor from the decade seemed to show up (Ferrell, Carell, Stiller, Black, even Rogen).

And ignore the trailer for Observe and Report. It doesn't show the best parts and saves everything for the actual film, unlike most film trailers.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:09 pm

W wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:Crap, i just saw the numbers on DHD, I'm seriously kicking myself for not putting The Hangover on ALL my slates, instead of just a few

Umm... I did.

well i expected it do well, 25OW/70T. which i thought was great, so i added it to my BO slates, but i thought that i could find better deals in Ultimate. Now though, its opening with a $40+OW and probably ending up around $130-$140M. shit. shit. shit. shit.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:11 pm

At the beginning of the year, I didn't expect to make more than $15 million total or even open in the summer. I figured it was just another low-budget throwaway to pad out a studio lineup.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:26 pm

W wrote:Umm... You haven't seen the Hangover (have you?) so how do you know that its better? Ok, so The Hangover has an 8.3 IMDB and Observe and Report has a 6.8. I can't get the rottentomatoes site to work right now, but I bet TH is much better rated there than OAR as well.

Amen Buscemi just has a biast because he is pissed The Hangover is doing well and he didnt want to see it. 8.3 IMDB and 81%RT rating much better than Observe and Report's 6.8 and 53% RT.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Buscemi wrote:Old School shaped the comedy genre? Apparently that newsflash got past me because Old School was simply Animal House for the 2000's and nothing else. In fact, it was probably just the director's previous Road Trip with older characters.

I'd say Anchorman shaped it better than Old School, considering that it made Will Ferrell and Judd Apatow hot properties plus every big comedy actor from the decade seemed to show up (Ferrell, Carell, Stiller, Black, even Rogen).

And ignore the trailer for Observe and Report. It doesn't show the best parts and saves everything for the actual film, unlike most film trailers.

Sorry, you may be a little young to remember....... Old School was a genre changing film. It launched Will Ferrell's movie career--first movie he ever did. It was a cultural phenomenon for my age group. If that film failed then Ferrell could have had Chris Kattan's career, Vince Vaughn would have to remake other Hitchcock films because his comedy career would have never taken off. So, I hate to tell you, but no Anchorman would have existed, no Apatow (maybe a good thing?) and, though I think the film is hilarious, everything after it just wasn't as good IMO.

So, yes, Old School shaped the comedy genre.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Will Ferrell was doing things before Old School. Do you not remember A Night At The Roxbury (not much to say but it has a following) or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next