The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by W Thu May 21, 2009 10:55 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I don't think so. I actually thought that W was posessed when he wrote it. I am sure it has something to do with the film, as he explained, the language they use in it, but since I haven't seen it, it made no god damn sense.

I wrote it as a kind of "inside joke" to those who have seen/read it. I read a couple of chapters, then decided to watch the film instead and read the last chapter. As one would suspect, lingo of the 50's is different from now, so a futuristic film should have different lingo than at the time. These are all words from the film/book. If you read the book--or attempt to--you would understand.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by packpaljs Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Well I haven't been on since Saturday, due to computer virus both at home and work, so I've watched quite a bit.

Tombstone 9/10 - Great Western, would be better without all the love stuff

Flight of the Red Balloon 5/10 - very slow, I kept watching and waiting, watching and waiting, at 1 hour and 10 minutes, no plot was in sight, had to give up

Zelig 7/10 - Not one of my favorite Allen movies but giving it a 3rd view, technically it's a materpiece, but movie wise, it's just okay

Sunset Boulvard - My 3rd of view of this as well and I like it more each time I watch it, this time I really liked it.

War, Inc. 3/10 - terrible, not funny, nothing good about this film.

Transiberrian - Half way through this, watching it online via Netflix, but again out of a home computer, so far I like it, it just got real good when I turned it off, can't wait to finish.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri May 22, 2009 12:14 am

Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Fri May 22, 2009 2:57 am

undeadmonkey wrote:

Casablanca 10/10. loved it. probably my favorite part was the cinematography, the use of shadows, I've never seen the movie before, but i've seen the iconic images from the movie before. I wonder if Michael Curtiz was the one who actually came up with it, or he just did it better than others. Also loved the script, the iconic lines, you always hear heres lookin at you kid, but there are so many more. Although i dont really get why he says here's lookin at you kid...

Gone with the Wind: 7/10 my biggest problem was the acting, but its interesting to see how different acting is perceived then from how it is now, because if any movie was acted like that today critics would so bash on it, much less it being oscar considered. I can definitely see why it's considered a classic though. it was over four hours and it held my attention for most of it. Another little problem i had though was when everyone found out about scarlett and ashley's 'hugging affair' that scarlett was painted as the whore and ashley well he's just a guy, but i guess im nitpicking. Also loved the cinematography on this one. I would actually love to see a remake of this with a big score and a little bit more subtler acting. Overall though i did enjoy it, all four hours

Curtiz never really got the respect as a director that he deserved. Part of this was the studio system and Curtiz' willingness to just come in and direct anything. No, seriously, look at his filmography. The man would direct anything in any genre fearlessly. He was strongest in the 30's and 40's before getting lots of mediocre projects in the 50's which damaged his legacy. I'm a fan. And I agree with your rating for 'Casablanca.' You should check out 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' if you like Bogart. Probably my favourite film (that mysterious ever-changing film!), at least for today.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 am

W wrote:Well, in the South at the time the film was portraying that would have happened between Scarlet and Ashley, so I don't really think you have a valid argument there.

Meanwhile, O My Brothers, I viddied A Clockwork Orange (8/10): In my opinion, odin pretty horrorshow flick. To warn you, there is a lot of the old in and out and malchicks doing ultraviolent acts against dedchoockas, baboochkas, other bandas, and practically everyone. A futuristic society with bandas of malchicks running around doing these things, with the rozzes doing the same shows a bleak future. And that's just the nachinating.

O, how oomny Anthony Burgess had to be to come up with the film's own lingo. Every futuristic film should do this. There is more of the story than shown in the film. The American version of the book has odin chapter missing, but was the one used to make the film, so I wonder what the real end of the book is. I'm going to read it.

Anthony Burgess seemed to have major interest in creating different languages. He also helped create the "dialogue" in Quest For Fire.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri May 22, 2009 6:24 am

Hate to burst your bubble guys, but the language that Burgess came up with is pretty much bastardized Russian.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri May 22, 2009 7:23 am

Keyser Soze wrote:Hate to burst your bubble guys, but the language that Burgess came up with is pretty much bastardized Russian.

Yep, I know. I still like it, though.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 22, 2009 7:50 am

Clockwork Orange was a friggin chore to read
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 am

I'm only planning on reading the last chapter. Basically, I gave up on it and decided to go the quickest way.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri May 22, 2009 11:23 am

A_Roode wrote:You should check out 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' if you like Bogart. Probably my favourite film (that mysterious ever-changing film!), at least for today.

Haha, i know exactly what you mean and I will definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the tip
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri May 22, 2009 8:05 pm

W wrote:

I wrote it as a kind of "inside joke" to those who have seen/read it. If you read the book--or attempt to--you would understand.
Exactly. I have read the whole book. I remember one paragrpah that I read and then reread. And then read a fourth time to figure out what he was talking about from the context. The word I wasn't getting was the slang for shoes.

NSpan wrote:Clockwork Orange was a friggin chore to read
And how. Every 6th word was not in english and you spent half your time figurung out what the hell he was talking about.

Watched Star Trek last night. Great movie. Lots of fun and the FX were amazing. Some of the actors were channeling the original counterparts for their roles and that was great. 7.5-8/10
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri May 22, 2009 8:26 pm

They have a Wiktionary just for A Clockwork Orange slang...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun May 24, 2009 12:21 am

just watched Paul:Blart Mall Cop 6/10 enjoyable enough decently amusing will agree with Banks about the extreme sports thugs not needed whatsoever.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by aquamann2001 Sun May 24, 2009 5:55 am

Decided to start watching true blood before season 2 starts. Watching first epsode right now. Heard good things about it.

aquamann2001
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun May 24, 2009 6:42 am

transformers2 wrote:just watched Paul:Blart Mall Cop 6/10 enjoyable enough decently amusing will agree with Banks about the extreme sports thugs not needed whatsoever.

When I think of extreme sports thugs, I think of that terrible movie Extreme Ops with Devon Sawa.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun May 24, 2009 7:41 am

aquamann2001 wrote:Decided to start watching true blood before season 2 starts. Watching first epsode right now. Heard good things about it.

Great show, can't wait til Season 2. Hope you like it.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sun May 24, 2009 8:15 am

My wife and I will be watching True Blood. She loves that adult vampire stuff and I heard there is enough violence and sex to keep me interested. I will let you all know if I thought it sucked or not.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sun May 24, 2009 11:54 am

I've seen the first season, honestly it was weird!!!
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun May 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I watched earlier:

Bean- liked this movie when I was younger but hadn't seen it in a long time. It's still pretty funny and I noticed things I never had before.

Revenge Of The Nerds- it's amazing to notice how many people were in this movie that are basically known today (for a lesser known example, that's James Cromwell as Robert Carradine's father). Also, the score for this film was done by the same guy (Thomas Newman) who did Wall-E's score.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon May 25, 2009 3:07 am

Wolverine. man, what a mess. why demystify a character whose best trait is his MYSTERY??

i imagine any comic book fans were equally disappointed as I that they glossed over the entire Weapon X storyline in about 3 minutes.. i'm glad they replaced Sabretooth with an actor capable of reading lines--though I feel like they overly-humanized the character... i also need to rewatch the first X-Men to see if ANY of this malarky matches up at all between the two films..

i realize that the Wolverine mythos has been revised and retold so many times that there isn't a "definitive" story--but most of this movie is totally unrecognizable to me.. so, they either based it on more recent storylines--or they just mixed together every half-baked idea they came across and called it a script..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon May 25, 2009 3:58 am

NSpan wrote:Wolverine. man, what a mess. why demystify a character whose best trait is his MYSTERY??

i imagine any comic book fans were equally disappointed as I that they glossed over the entire Weapon X storyline in about 3 minutes.. i'm glad they replaced Sabretooth with an actor capable of reading lines--though I feel like they overly-humanized the character... i also need to rewatch the first X-Men to see if ANY of this malarky matches up at all between the two films..

i realize that the Wolverine mythos has been revised and retold so many times that there isn't a "definitive" story--but most of this movie is totally unrecognizable to me.. so, they either based it on more recent storylines--or they just mixed together every half-baked idea they came across and called it a script..

also: did the Wolverine/Sabretooth/Stryker storyline remind anyone else of a mashup between Highlander and Star Wars?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 am

I don't need to tell you all how good the movie I watched last night is, as I think I've seen it in most of your fave movies lists. Oldboy did not disappoint and lived up to my expectations derived from here and elsewhere. 10/10 from both me and my wife. It's been a while since a movie got a perfect score from both of us. Nice (unplanned) timing considering Thirst just won the Jury prize at Cannes yesterday. Today I have put the other 2 movies in his 'vengeance' trilogy in my quickflix queue. Anyone seen those, and how do they rate compared to Oldboy?
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 am

I rank Oldboy as his best, but the other two are both very, very good. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance would be the one I check out next, while Lady Vengeance, though stylistically beautiful doesn't quite have the narrative to match the other two movies. But having said that they are all very worthwhile watches.

And I can't wait to get a hold of Thirst. Vampires and Park Chan-Wook are an irresistible combination.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue May 26, 2009 1:43 pm

gotta say, i liked Terminator: Salvation just fine.. i don't understand what all the hate is about.. obviously, it can't compare to the original.. or the sequel.. but i'd take it over T3 any day...

i didn't really have many major complaints.. it's a bit silly in parts, and the Newt (or "Feral Child" if you prefer) role was unnecessary.. i thought Christian Bale's performance was pretty bad--either McG was unwilling (unable?) to direct him, or he was unwilling to be directed..

on the other hand, i thought Charlie Bartlett wasn't half-bad as a young Michael Biehn.. a few of his lines were stupid, but intentionally so.. he's supposed to be learning..

maybe my expectations were THAT low, but i gotta say: i was pleasantly surprised
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue May 26, 2009 7:54 pm

I think the problem with Christian Bale is that if he doesn't have either a good director, or a better actor to put him in his place, he goes crazy with his over-acting. Nolan wouldn't let him do this on TDK, plus he had Morgan Freeman and Heath Ledger around. On Salvation, he was given too much power and there was no one to tell him "Hey Christian, you might want to tone it down a bit." He would have just bitched at them and ran to his trailer. He just needs someone to show him up and put him in his place and he is fine.

And I'm glad at least a few of us on here don't get the hate.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next