The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

+10
leestu
becs
transformers2
silversurfer19
JackO
mfrendo
BanksIsDaFuture
undeadmonkey
Buscemi
NSpan
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30:  Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore Empty MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Post by NSpan Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:01 am

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

to kick it off is the semi-obscure Martin Scorsese classic Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.. this was released between Mean Streets and Taxi Driver... so i can only imagine it's gonna be great.. surprisingly, very few (if any) of us "movie buffs" have seen it.. written by Robert Getchell, who is known for adapting some notable books for the big screen (including Mommie Dearest and The Client).. featuring Harvey Keitel, Ellen Burstyn (who won an academy award), Diane Ladd (who was nominated), and an early appearance by Laura Dern.. the movie also won the oscar for Best Screenplay in 1974.. the movie was popular enough (evidently) to warrant a TV spinoff which ran NINE years and had over 200 episodes.. Shocked

the movie is available via netflix to rent AND for online instant viewing.. i know this is pretty last-minute for finding it this weekend, so maybe we'll run this first movie through next weekend, too..

MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30:  Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore Alicedoesntlivehereanymore2

Recommended Double-Feature: Mean Streets (1973)

More Suggestions:
Boxcar Bertha (1972)
Taxi Driver (1976)
The Exorcist (1973)

Last edited by NSpan on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:09 am; edited 11 times in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30:  Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore Empty Re: MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Post by Buscemi Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:03 am

I suggest Woody Allen's Alice next, since it's on DVD and I've got the VHS but have never seen it.

Meanwhile, I should get around to watching this on Netflix's instant viewing system.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30:  Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore Empty Re: MOVIECLUB #1 - Due Monday 3/30: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Post by NSpan Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:13 am

ps. sorry to leave you out this round, Surfer.. i'm sure you can find it SOMEWHERE............right? if you can find a way to mask your foreign IP, you can use my netflix account and watch it online
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:18 am

I would love to participate, but i live in a small town and don't have netflix, but i will participate when i can.... I nominate Lawrence of Arabia, as it seems many of us havent seen it and I know i can get a hand on a copy of it, for the next movie
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am

undeadmonkey wrote:I would love to participate, but i live in a small town and don't have netflix, but i will participate when i can....
perhaps we should lean more towards "classic" rather than "obscure" in order to allow more people to join in on the action.. that said, Alice and Lawrence are both great noms..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 am

NSpan wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:I would love to participate, but i live in a small town and don't have netflix, but i will participate when i can....
perhaps we should lean more towards "classic" rather than "obscure" in order to allow more people to join in on the action.. that said, Alice and Lawrence are both great noms..

I agree^^^
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:51 am

I'm so down for this, it's ridiculous.

Does anyone know if the streaming is available during the free two week trial? If so, I'll just sign up, watch it, and cancel it. I'm not sure how many weekends I can do that though. But I'm gonna check out Blockbuster tomorrow for it, even though they probably won't have it.

I second Lawrence of Arabia, although there's no promise I won't fall asleep during it.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I'm so down for this, it's ridiculous.

Same here... i Havent been this excited since i met all the single ladies at my grandmothers birthday party!
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 am

I believe you can watch it during the two week trial. If I remember right, all services are open. That being said, you should also watch the John Waters spoken word via streaming during the two weeks. It's hilarious, informative, and fun.

I nominate the John Cassavetes classic "Faces". Had the DVD for a while, and haven't got around to watching it. Hope this'll give me a kick in the ass.

I also nominate the Herzog films, "Fitzcarraldo" and "Aguirre: Wrath of God". Both available to stream on netflix.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 am

So, are we going to do it for this weekend, or through next weekend too? I can probably watch it this weekend if that's what people wanted to do...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:57 pm

mfrendo wrote:So, are we going to do it for this weekend, or through next weekend too? I can probably watch it this weekend if that's what people wanted to do...
we're shootin for THIS weekend.. but i didn't post this until late thursday--so that's a pretty tight timeframe... if not enough people get around to it, i'll extend the deadline until next weekend... (we'll see what works better in the future: weekly or bi-weekly)
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Awesome club! I'm defintely down for it. I'm also open to Lawrence of Arabia for the next pick.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:12 pm

Another I haven't seen which may be good for this idea is Amadeus.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Definitely second Amadeus, and I nominate The 400 Blows and The Seventh Seal, two movies on my hitlist and I recently got around to buying The 400 Blows. And NSpan, don't worry about it, I'll see what I can do, but I don't know anything about masking my IP address, and if I can't find it anywhere I'll just give this one a miss.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:18 am

I'll second 400 Blows. About to buy the blu ray myself once I find something I want to add to the order to get free shipping. Seventh Seal is great, but I've already seen it.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:04 am

I'll go ahead and second Alice..

Lawrence, The 400 Blows, and Seventh Seal are all tempting--but those might be a bit ambitious for our 2nd pick.. (and i've seen Seventh Seal)..

i don't want this to feel like homework... that said, we'll get to the epics before too long
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:29 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Definitely second Amadeus, and I nominate The 400 Blows and The Seventh Seal, two movies on my hitlist and I recently got around to buying The 400 Blows. And NSpan, don't worry about it, I'll see what I can do, but I don't know anything about masking my IP address, and if I can't find it anywhere I'll just give this one a miss.

You can try TOR but they are mostly good at hiding IPs from the USA with foreign ones. Here is the website to check it out. I used to dabble in that stuff before I realized that no one actually cares what the fuck I am doing on my computer.

https://www.torproject.org/
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 am

Just google "proxy" and it should have everything.

Or the easier option, but probably wont work: go to an anonymous websurfer like www.whystopme.com or maskmyip.com
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:25 am

I was able to watch it tonight, but will with-hold comments. So, how do you want to do this NSpan? Start the discussion Sunday night, or...?
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:43 pm

mfrendo wrote:I was able to watch it tonight, but will with-hold comments. So, how do you want to do this NSpan? Start the discussion Sunday night, or...?
i won't be watching it until tonight (Saturday evening)... maybe someone else has a strong opinion about this--but i say we keep our mouths shut until MONDAY.. maybe even later if we got some stragglers... for the moment, let's say Monday will be for sharing our thoughts / comments / critiques / etc / etc
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 am

i will join up cant promise ill always do it but i will do it when i have time this is a very good idea.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:38 am

I freakin love this idea! I just ordered a new pc (my work laptop died, and my current pc is incompatible with netflix instant) so I should be joining in occasionally once I get it all set up. Any chance we can get a listing of say a month schedule of the movies selected?
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:50 am

A schedule might be a good idea, imo, but it's pretty much up to NSpan, being his idea and all.

How is your PC incompatible? I know that the streaming won't work with firefox, only with explorer, but I've never heard of a PC being incompatible.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:45 pm

WOW. i will refrain from writing a response until Mondayish--but.... Wow...

Anyone in the good ol' US of A can use Internet Explorer to access the movie on Netflix "Watch Instantly".. unfortunately, Firefox isn't supported.. BUT my account is open to all.. anyone who isn't from New Zealand gimme a text, and I'll give you my netflix login/password
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:50 pm

i also have netflix so if any wants my info to watch i will give it to you.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next