upcoming live shows

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: upcoming live shows

Post by W on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I was going to stay out of this out of respect as I have never found Blink the least bit good, but... ICONIC? Do you mean "One who is the object of great attention and devotion?" This would mean that every single band that has a hit is an icon. Or you could mean "An important and enduring symbol," which they aren't.

Icons are bands like Sabbath, Metallica (who I also don't like), Ozzy, Hendrix, the Beatles, the Stones, Iggy Pop, The Ramones, Zep, AC/DC, ect. Important, enduring symbols. Not flash in the pan/cult figures.

... W ... is fascinating. No other word for it. - Roger Ebert

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Tell that to any kid who grew up in the 90's and listens to pop punk music. They were THE pop punk band, along with Green Day. They are an icon in the genre of music that they belong to, which is all that should matter, and that is what I was referring to. The fact that they helped bring an entire genre into anywhere close to mainstream popularity when it wasn't before is remarkable.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:19 am

geez you are so lucky you got to see Blink. I wanted to go badly but didnt get the chance. Glad you had awesome time!
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 am

I don't even listen to rock music, but Blink 182 does not belong anywhere near the bands that W. listed...
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:04 am

geezer9687 wrote:Tell that to any kid who grew up in the 90's and listens to pop punk music. They were THE pop punk band, along with Green Day. They are an icon in the genre of music that they belong to, which is all that should matter, and that is what I was referring to. The fact that they helped bring an entire genre into anywhere close to mainstream popularity when it wasn't before is remarkable.

Umm... Seriously? THE pop punk band? You've never heard of The Ramones and if that's too early for you, Green Day is/was/and will forever be the bigger/more liked/more iconic band by 10,000 times and I'm not even really a Green Day fan (I only have the "International Superhits" CD). At best, Blink 182 is in the same catagory with "The Offspring".

And, seriously, you're telling me that Blink 182 has more to do with the success of punk music than these bands: The Ramones, Green Day, The Offspring, No Doubt, NOFX, Bad Religion, Sublime, Rancid, Iggy Pop, Sublime, Sum 41? All of these came first (or around the same time) and it is ignorant to say that Blink 182 was in responsible for the success genre as a whole. Hell, even at that same time the Bloodhound Gang had their day in the sun...

To be a pop icon, you need more than just a few hits. To be a punk icon (as it is a sub-genre), you have to be one of the very first few bands mentioned when someone says "name a punk band." They are neither. They're overshadowed by Green Day a billion to one.

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:23 pm

W i am with you 100%. The most infulential punk bands are The Ramones,The Clash,Sex Pistols,Dead Kennedys,Bad Brains,Bad Religion,Rancid, Iggy Pop and The Stooges,NOFX,The Clash a few more.

I am fan of blink-182 and they are influential and a very good band but they havent done more for punk then the bands that W just listed[minus Sum 41 that are that influential].
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 pm

I have more of an issue with the term "pop-punk" than I do specifically any band in the "pop-punk" genre.
Punk.
Slang, A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
pop music - music of general appeal to teenagers; a bland watered-down version of rock'n'roll with more rhythm and harmony and an emphasis on romantic love

Can't be general public and counterculture.. Pop-punk is simply crap rock with three chords.

I know you grew up with them Geez, but that doesn't make them good. You simply had no other choices other than Britney or rap.

Hell, I used to listen to Poison and Sir-Mix-A-Lot. Doesn't mean they were any good. That was just what the culture and radio shoved down our throats. Once we get older we realize that there is more to music than selling the next pop-tart album and making singles.

geezer9687 wrote: as they just got lost in the music and used it as it was intended when they first formed, an escape from all the bad shit in life. I don't care what your opinion of their music is, but those guys rock.

I know the world sucks and the music and movies you like keep you from thinking about how shitty everything is but it doesn't help the problem go away. It just covers it up. But I also know we each have our own way of dealing with the shitty world. You get annoyed when we tell you to think and we get annoyed when you tell us to not think. Neither of us is right or wrong. Here is just another way we differ.

Regardless, I am glad you had fun. Whether we like the same music or not, I used to love big concerts when I was in my early twenties. Ozzfest, X-Fest, etc were epic journeys with my friends involving 12 hour drinking marathons and being covered in musical goodness and filled with 8 dollar beers. There may have been other chemical and natural enhancements occasionally used but I plead the 5th to that. Wink
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 am

Some of Sir Mix-A-Lot's underground stuff is good (Square Dance Rap, SWASS, Posse On Broadway, Buttermilk Biscuits).

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:41 am

Donte, you STILL listen to Poison, *lol* And I'd know since I sent you some of it this morning in 'The Daily Metal'! Very Happy

Got a good one for you tomorrow -- one hit wonders Bangalore Choir.
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 pm

lol Donte you should go to Mayhem Fest next year and relive your glory days. Very Happy
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Clearly, we are arguing two different things. You keep bringing up the Ramones, and several other bands from a previous era, who you can't even compare because they have had time for everyone to look back on their body of work and agree "Oh my god these guys were so great." So I am going to throw them out of the discussion. Iggy Pop too.

Of the other bands you listed: Green Day, The Offspring, No Doubt, NOFX, Bad Religion, Sublime, Rancid, Sublime, Sum 41?

No Doubt and Sum 41 can be thrown out altogether because they don't even belong in the discussion. Sublime wasn't exactly the same genre, so I don't consider them part of the discusion either.

That leaves Green Day, Bad Religion, The Offspring, NOFX and Rancid, to go along with Blink. And that's a list that I have no problem with you bringing up... as they are all ICONS of the genre. You keep getting caught up on Billboard music charts. If that is all you are interested in, why the hell would you even be arguing about this genre of music? Cleary its not something in which you understand the mind set of its fans or what they care about. To be honest, the bigger you are, the more hits you have, amongst this group kinda makes you less of an icon, and is why Green Day has alienated a lot of their older fans once they went a different direction and got bigger and bigger after the release of American Idiot.

How many pop punk bands formed from the time Blink-182 released their first album to this very day? Thousands. How many show up on that list? A handful, and each of that handful played some part in the influence and formation of those other thousands. I'm not arguing over what's good because that is all a matter of opinion. I'm not arguing over what is popular and hits the billboard charts. I am arguing over the influence they had on their genre of music. To take an otherwise underground and unknown genre and help grow it to the point where they can even say that they had a few hits is incredible.

Maybe I should have said icons of their genre, but then you'd throw the Ramones and the Clash at me again, which is basically saying that unless you have been around for 30 years you haven't done anything.

As I said before, you keep coming back to hits. But can you name more than 5 Blink-182 songs? Maybe, maybe not, but it seems like you only care about "What's My Age Again" and "All The Small Things." Yet they played for an hour and a half. I'm pretty sure there is more to a band than what gets played on the radio. Or maybe to you there isn't, and that's cool. But that also means you are not qualified to debate the influence that this band had on pop punk music (which is what the genre is called Donte, I didn't make up the name).

I'll sum it up and be done with it by saying this: I clearly have a different opinion of what makes a band iconic than you do. I never meant that they were as popular to the every day man as Metallica or Jimi Hendrix. I do not believe that a band has to be around for 30 years to feel their impact. I can only go by the people I know and the world of music I live in. Amongst them, Blink-182 is iconic. They are what every band that formed after growing up in the 90's and early 00's that plays "pop punk" music aspires to be. Those people couldn't give two shits about Metallica. They aspire to be like Travis Barker, or Lars Fredrickson, or Greg Graffin.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Bad Religion and Blink 182 should not be in the same sentence.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Have you ever even been to a punk show Buscemi? You don't exactly strike me as someone that would be an expert on the subject.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm

So you're not arguing that Blink 182 was responsible for the emergence of punk in the early 2000s? I was arguing that it was already a viable genre way before then. Myself, I wouldn't put them as anything-punk. I would say that they're nsync with louder, faster music. Pop-rock I would agree with, but pop-punk? And if Blink 182 is punk anything, then so is No Doubt. And maybe your circle of peeps thinks of them as icons, but I have a feeling that Barker is one of those guys that's famous for being famous more than music nowadays.

Anyways, how can you argue pop-anything without mentioning album sales... Isn't that what pop is about? The Benjamins? Or they're trying to be artists but that dumb old MTV is forcing their cash (and everything that goes with it) down their throats?

I would go as far to say that most people would not even say they're punk at all... Anyways, we could agree to disagree I guess.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Blink 182 is not punk. It is not rock either. Actually, I don't know what category they are. It's a little hard to put tone-def yelling and inane lyrics into a singular category.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 pm

transformers2 wrote:lol Donte you should go to Mayhem Fest next year and relive your glory days. Very Happy

That would be a great time. I would be drunk.
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 am

Well said, Geez. You guys are arguing about different things. And you're probably right. In that sub-genre known as pop-punk, I would say the two most iconic are Green Day and Blink 182, for the simple reason is that those two bands managed to make overseas success, were recognised, and I'm sure became infuential. And if you define icons as those who inspired others to make similar music, then Blink 182 are certain so.

I think most of the others are resistent to calling Blink 182 icons because they don't like them. Hell, I hate them, and I dislike any band that is termed pop-punk, but I can't deny that they were influential.

Kids will like any ol' crap these days Wink
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:34 am

got my tickets to Spindrift and the Dandy Warhols next week... woo

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Dandy Warhols? Oh NSpan, you're so 90's. Next you'll be conducting internet searches on Altavista, debating with your friends on a brick-sized cellphone over who is better: Oasis or Blur, and awaiting the latest episode of Baywatch
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:45 pm

numbersix_99 wrote:Dandy Warhols? Oh NSpan, you're so 90's. Next you'll be conducting internet searches on Altavista, debating with your friends on a brick-sized cellphone over who is better: Oasis or Blur, and awaiting the latest episode of Baywatch
ha. nothing against the Dandy's, but we're actually going for Spindrift... the headliner is just icing

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 pm

I watched a documentary about the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre on hulu awhile back, pretty interesting stuff actually. Also, the 90's is where its at!
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 am

The 90's were so bad that the most iconic musician of the time shot himself in the face with a 12 gauge...

Smile

Cool
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 am

Actually, Courtney Love murdered him. Twisted Evil

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 am

Buscemi wrote:Actually, Courtney Love murdered him. :twisted:

And Tupac is still alive. :roll:

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 am

W doesn't get it.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top