Fun and Random Trivia of the Day

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fun and Random Trivia of the Day

Post by A_Roode on Sun May 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Trivia for the Day from 'Gangs of New York':

"19th-century New York was recreated on the lot of Cinecitta studios in Rome. When George Lucas visited the massive set, he reportedly turned to Martin Scorsese and said that sets like that can be done with computers now."

Yeah, thanks for the help George. F&*K Off.
I also really like this one:

"Martin Scorsese ends the film with a shot of the New York skyline which includes the World Trade Center Towers, even though the film was finished after the buildings were destroyed in the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001. Scorsese chose to end on that shot rather then continue with a skyline without the WTC because the movie is supposed to be about the people who build New York, not those who tried to destroy it"
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Mon May 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Trivia Of The Day (5/11/2009)

Class Of 1984

Mark L. Lester said the film was inspired by several true stories of school violence he had read about in papers. In particular was a story of a teacher who brought a gun to class to control his students - the scene ended up in the film.

Real dead animals were used for the scene where the school finds Corrigan's lab animals killed. The smell of the room they were placed in was so overwhelming that most of the actors wouldn't enter the room.

Much of the graffiti the art director put on the walls of the school for filming was extremely difficult to remove. It caused some trouble when the actual students of the high school used in the film returned to see all of the profanity left on the walls. Ultimately it was all removed though.

Al Waxman's dialog to Perry King in the film was taken word-for-word from an actual policeman while Mark L. Lester was researching for the film.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Mon May 11, 2009 9:35 pm

A_Roode wrote:Trivia for the Day from 'Gangs of New York':

"19th-century New York was recreated on the lot of Cinecitta studios in Rome. When George Lucas visited the massive set, he reportedly turned to Martin Scorsese and said that sets like that can be done with computers now."

Yeah, thanks for the help George. F&*K Off.
I also really like this one:

"Martin Scorsese ends the film with a shot of the New York skyline which includes the World Trade Center Towers, even though the film was finished after the buildings were destroyed in the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001. Scorsese chose to end on that shot rather then continue with a skyline without the WTC because the movie is supposed to be about the people who build New York, not those who tried to destroy it"

Scorsese also likes to shift around history. In this film, he move the New York draft riots to a better place dramatically for the film.

... W ... is fascinating. No other word for it. - Roger Ebert

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 am

I know that bothers some people but I'm not going to the movies for a history lesson. Maybe just a history suggestion. Nah, I'm at the movies for a great story and I like to see how characters are shaped by their decisions or non-decisions. Book s and documentaries will be there if I want the real story after the film.
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Tue May 12, 2009 3:29 am

Trivia for the day from 'The Climax' (1944):

"This film was shot on the lavish sets created for Phantom of the Opera (1943) in an attempt to recoup the large budget of that film. The opera house set had been built for the original The Phantom of the Opera (1925) starring Lon Chaney, and this extraordinary set still exists on the Universal Studios lot. It is the oldest surviving movie set in the world."

This was also Boris Karloff's first colour film.
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Tue May 12, 2009 7:10 am

A_Roode wrote:I know that bothers some people but I'm not going to the movies for a history lesson. Maybe just a history suggestion. Nah, I'm at the movies for a great story and I like to see how characters are shaped by their decisions or non-decisions. Book s and documentaries will be there if I want the real story after the film.

Couldn't agree more Roode man

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 am

Normally doesn't bother me. Didn't there, just pointing it out. All of the inconsistencies in Alexander made it a horrible film for me... That and 1000 other things.

And "This would have never happened" moments sometimes kill a movie for me. Not usually, just sometimes. I majored in history, you know... I assume that rocket scientists would be more judgemental in space movies...

W can i state that you are a genius. I dont know how you do it dude. They should have doing the tracking instead of those other idiots. - transformers2
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Tue May 12, 2009 9:18 pm

W wrote:Normally doesn't bother me. Didn't there, just pointing it out. All of the inconsistencies in Alexander made it a horrible film for me... That and 1000 other things.

And "This would have never happened" moments sometimes kill a movie for me. Not usually, just sometimes. I majored in history, you know... I assume that rocket scientists would be more judgemental in space movies...

My boss is a pilot and while watching Iron Man with the crew, he would throw in some comment on the actual aeronautics used and also the whole "icing issue" that happens. Sometimes being smart can ruin a movie. He thought it was good but because of how much he knew about flight conditions it ruined that one part. I pointed out that a guy is flying in a suit with boot jets whose has a nuclear thing-a-majiggy in his chest and that trumps any realism about flight mechanics...
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Tue May 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Trivia for Tuesday, 5-12-09 is from Stripes.

John Larroquette improvised the dialog where he's watching the girls in the shower through the telescope, including the odd line "Oh, God! I wish I was a loofah!" According to Laroquette, he had to explain to Reitman what a loofah was.

According to Ivan Reitman in the DVD Commentary, the scene where Bill Murray is loading the rich woman's suitcases into the trunk and he hits himself in the crotch was accident. Murray really did hit himself in the crotch with the case, thus his very real line "Oh, my balls."
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Wed May 13, 2009 2:11 am

Trivia for the Day from "Singin' In The Rain" (1952)

Or,

Four Reasons why Gene Kelly was a Prick:

1. "Only 19 when cast to play the film, Debbie Reynolds lived with her parents and commuted to the set. She had to wake up at 4:00 a.m. and ride three different buses to the studio; sometimes, to avoid the commute, she would just sleep on the set. Gene Kelly insulted Debbie Reynolds for not being able to dance. Fred Astaire, who was hanging around the studio, found her crying under a piano and helped her with her dancing."

2. "Donald O'Connor admitted that he did not enjoy working with Gene Kelly, since Kelly was somewhat of a tyrant. O'Connor said that for the first several weeks he was terrified of making a mistake and being yelled at by Kelly."

3. "After they finished the "Good Morning" number, Debbie Reynolds had to be carried to her dressing room because she had burst some blood vessels in her feet. Despite her hard work on the "Good Morning" number, Gene Kelly decided that someone should dub her tap sounds, so he went into a dubbing room to dub the sound of her feet as well as his own."

4. "For the "Make Em Laugh" number, Gene Kelly asked Donald O'Connor to revive a trick he had done as a young dancer, running up a wall and completing a somersault. The number was so physically taxing that O'Connor, who smoked four packs of cigarettes a day at the time, went to bed (or may have been hospitalized, depending on the source) for a week after its completion, suffering from exhaustion and painful carpet burns. Unfortunately, an accident ruined all of the initial footage, so after a brief rest, O'Connor, ever the professional, agreed to do the difficult number all over again."

Finally, another anecdote from the set that just has to be shared:

"Filming of the Cyd Charisse dance number had to be stopped for several hours after it was discovered that her pubic hair was visible through her costume. When the problem was finally fixed, the director said, "It's OK, guys, we've finally got Cyd's crotch licked."

Shocked
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Trivia Of The Day (5/12/2009)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A number of key moments in the movie were created in the editing room: Jeannie kicking Roonie three times in the face (when there was in fact only one kick filmed); Ferris and Sloane's kiss in front of Roonie was originally just a brief kiss, but was later edited into the long "incestuous" kiss seen on film.

To produce the desired drugged-out effect for his role as the drug addict in the police station, Charlie Sheen stayed awake for more than 48 hours before the scene was shot.

John Cusack, Jim Carrey, Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jr. and Michael J. Fox were all considered for the role of Ferris Bueller.

Emilio Estevez turned down the role of Cameron.

The 1961 Ferrari GT250 was a modified MG sports car. The producers received several angry letters from car enthusiasts who believed the car shown was a *real* Ferrari and that it was actually wrecked in the film.

The scene in which Ferris is drawing the nude woman on his computer was going to be broadcast onto a jumbotron in Chicago but the scene was later cut.

The French restaurant Bueller crashes is "Chez Quis" which is a pun, as said aloud it would be "Shakeys", the pizza chain. "Chez Qui" means "whose house" in French.

Ferris laments not having his own car, but does at least own a synthesizer which cost $8,000 in 1984.

During the parade several of the people seen dancing (including the construction worker and the window washer) originally had nothing to do with the film. They were simply dancing to the music being played and John Hughes found it so humorous that he told the camera operators to record it.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed May 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Trivia Of The Day (5/13/2009)

Sixteen Candles

Jim Carrey auditioned for the role of Ted "The Geek".

When Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall first met, they did not get along at all. Director John Hughes took them shopping at a music store and they discovered they had similar musical tastes and eventually got along.

When Sam (Molly Ringwald) and her friend are in the lunch line, one of the menu selections behind the lunch lady's head reads "Canned Brownies in Light Syrup."

Samantha says that Caroline 'must have flunked nine grades' because of her mature figure for a high school student. In actuality, Haviland Morris was 25 years old during filming. Michael Schoeffling (Jake Ryan) was 24.

The German title of the film, "Das darf man nur als Erwachsener", translates to "One may do that only as an adult".

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs on Wed May 13, 2009 4:17 pm

On the Ferris Bueller trivia, I heard the Anthony Michael Hall was the first and original choice for Ferris but turned it down because he wan't to be more of a tough guy.
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Buscemi wrote:Trivia Of The Day (5/12/2009)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ferris laments not having his own car, but does at least own a synthesizer which cost $8,000 in 1984.

Hahahah Nice!!
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Wed May 13, 2009 11:38 pm

Trivia for Wednesday, 5-13-09, is from The Green Mile.

More than 30 works of Stephen King have been adapted for movies, but this is the only one to have broken the $100 million mark at the North American box office (as of November 2007).

In actuality, Michael Clarke Duncan is of a similar height as his co-star David Morse and is a couple inches shorter than James Cromwell. Among other things, creative camera angles were used to create the illusion that Duncan as John Coffey towered over the prison staff, even Brutal Howell and Warden Moores.
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs on Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 am

Was The Green Mile, King's 2nd and last adaptation to get nominated for best picture? Anyone know?
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Thu May 14, 2009 3:29 am

I believe it is. I know some of the other movies have gottwen noms for actors or screenplay but only Green Mile and Shawshank have for best movie.
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 am

Trivia Of The Day (5/14/2009)

Over The Edge

Charles S. Haas based his story on true events which occurred in the planned community of Foster City, California in the early 1970s. In fact, a California headline about the incident, "Mouse Packs: Kids On A Crime Spree", was authored by Haas when he was a reporter with the San Francisco Examiner.

Originally completed in 1979, the movie was not released until two years later when it was run on HBO. At the time, the studio thought the movie was too controversial and feared that it would spark violence, which apparently occurred with the film The Warriors (1979).

Matt Dillon didn't actually want or expect to be cast in the movie. He went to the audition just so he could skip school.

According to sources Kurt Cobain said that "(Over the Edge) pretty much defined my whole personality. It was really cool. Total anarchy."

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Trivia Of The Day (5/15/2009)

A Fish Called Wanda

The dog death scenes were originally filmed with entrails from a butchers scattered around the dead dog. Preview audiences reacted strongly to this, so the scenes were reshot with an obviously fake straw dog.

The hymn that the choirboys sing at the dogs' funerals is: Miserere Dominus, miserere Dominus, Canis mortuus est, which translated into English is: Have mercy, Lord; have mercy, Lord; the dog is dead.

George Thomason is played by Tom Georgeson.

Kevin Kline begged John Cleese to let Otto speak French instead of Italian when he wants to seduce Jamie Lee Curtis, since Kline speaks French. Cleese insisted that it had to be Italian. Kline started singing "Volare" because he ran out of Italian cheeses and other Italian phrases that he could ad lib, and was concerned that the director did not yell cut, since the producers did not own the rights to "Volare" when the scene was being filmed.

Jamie Lee Curtis was listed as "Jamie Lee Schwartz" on all the call sheets, because John Cleese found it amusing that her father Tony Curtis's real name was Bernard Schwartz.

The fish that Kevin Kline eats are made out of Jello. Kline claims that he offered to eat real, live fish, but the filmmakers wouldn't let him.

When this film was shown in the theaters in Denmark, a Doctor literally laughed himself to death during the scene where Ken gets the chips up his nose. The story behind this, is that the man had made a joke a few years earlier with his family during dinner, where he put a piece of cauliflower up his and every family members nose as a joke and made a bet with them on who could eat up their carrots without the cauliflower falling out. When the scene with Ken and the chips came up, he started thinking about this dinner-incident and laughed so hard that his heart stopped. This story is well known in Scandinavia and spread around as almost an "urban legend" shortly after it happened. It later got confirmed by his son, who also told the dinner-story as an explanation to why his father laughed so hard from the chips-scene that he died.

Various U.S. television stations deleted the "chips up the nostrils" scene. Airing it was deemed as insensitive to individuals with mental impairments.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 am

Trivia for the day from 'The Village' (2004)

"The inspiration for the story comes from two unlikely sources: "Wuthering Heights" for the period drama, and King Kong (1933) for the community living in fear of predatory creatures."

I'm also amused that Sigourney Weaver read the script and gave herself nightmares for two weeks. I know there are more than a few Fantaversians who think the nightmares probably went something like this.

Sigourney: *with a big smile* "Yes! I just signed on to be a part of the next M. Night Shyalaman film!"

Realization dawns.

Sigourney: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

(I loved the film by the way but I'm out-numbered on these boards. And in general.)
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by W on Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 am

I thought it was the last good film that he made... Though I wouldn't watch it again, its only because of the type of film it is.

W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Fri May 22, 2009 1:39 am

I really enjoyed it. Probably my second favourite of his (and most favoured on some days). Glad to know someone else likes it!
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 am

i love The Village, but yes i know what it feels like to be in the minority
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Fri May 22, 2009 8:16 pm

I have missed quite a few days but I thought this was interesting. Especially considering this movie is being remade.

Trivia for May 22nd is from Red Dawn.

This film was entered into the Guinness Book of Records as having the most acts of violence of any film up to that time. It was calculated that on average an act of violence occurs at a rate of 134 per hour or 2.23 per minute.

This was the first motion picture released with the PG-13 rating, which had been created after difficulty rating some movies in 1984, most notably Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984). (The Flamingo Kid (1984) was the first film to be *given* a PG-13 rating, but sat on the shelves for five months before being released).
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Sun May 24, 2009 8:31 am

Trivia for Saturday 5-23-09 is from Pink Flamingos.

In the film MIDNIGHT MOVIES, John Waters says in part "I was high when I wrote this film. I was NOT high when I made it."

nice!

And even better.

The dog feces in the infamous final scene are real. According to director John Waters, the dog was fed steak for three days beforehand.

Ugh!
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top