The Academy Awards Extravaganza Thread, Or How To Promote The Bejezzus Out Of A Movie Which Would Usually Flop

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Academy Awards Extravaganza Thread, Or How To Promote The Bejezzus Out Of A Movie Which Would Usually Flop

Post by mfrendo on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:04 am

undeadmonkey wrote:
I dont get all the hate that Slumdog is getting now that it won,.

I kind of agree with you here. I was the only one on these boards, to my knowledge, that was less than impressed with the film, and got into conversations with y'all about that. Hell, I almost got railroaded for saying such a thing...and now some of the same are putting it down...

That being said, I still stand by my declaration that Revolutionary Road should have won this year, with Doubt probably coming in a close second.
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Academy Awards Extravaganza Thread, Or How To Promote The Bejezzus Out Of A Movie Which Would Usually Flop

Post by silversurfer19 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 am

Well, movies like Iron Man and Wanted were nominated for the awards, so movies which are maybe not Best Picture quality still are recognised, but maybe the other movies were just better in all ways.

Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 am

J.I. wrote:How come the Oscar buzzed movies (Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button) win all of the little awards? I mean, can't a bad movie win Cinematography or something? Slumdog Millionaire winning for Sound seems to fit my argument, not that I saw it.

Marie Antoniette won Best Costume Design in 2006. A bad movie that beat the much more deserving Curse Of The Golden Flower in that category.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am

mfrendo wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:
I dont get all the hate that Slumdog is getting now that it won,.

I kind of agree with you here. I was the only one on these boards, to my knowledge, that was less than impressed with the film, and got into conversations with y'all about that. Hell, I almost got railroaded for saying such a thing...and now some of the same are putting it down...

That being said, I still stand by my declaration that Revolutionary Road should have won this year, with Doubt probably coming in a close second.

Yea, I remember that discussion, ha ha. Slumdog is not my favorite of the year either, but just because the academy says it is, that isnt going to make me start dogging on it.
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 am

mfrendo wrote:I was the only one on these boards, to my knowledge, that was less than impressed with the film

i was right there with ya, frendo

NSpan wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:Why was slumdog not for you, nspan?

Spoiler:
I just didn't find it all that engaging, personally. I see merit in the film, and I like the director. So I'm not bashing it. It just didn't appeal to me.

I thought the back-story was far, far, more interesting than any of the "present-day" stuff.. I think there was enough material leading up to (but not including) the gameshow (or any of the events that follow) to have made an interesting story.. Chronologically, everything from the gameshow to the end credits bored me to tears.. I realize that it'd be a very very different movie had they cut all that out (and the word "Millionaire" would have to be excised from the title.. leaving it just "Slumdog")..

Although, i don't want to imply that the early portion of the story is perfect either.. It's hard for me to tell if someone is a "great" actor when they speak almost exclusively in a language i'm unfamiliar with.. but i'm fairly certain those child actors, had they been speaking in english, would've been annoying as fuck.. People seem to consistently give subtitled movies the benefit of the doubt when it comes to acting, dialogue, and story..

Anyway, as i said, I do see a lot of merit in the film.. accepting the script for a moment, it was certainly well-done.. I will continue to watch anything with Danny Boyle's name on it..

ps. I can't really make a case for it at this time (maybe after a few more viewings), but there was another aspect of the film that bothered me.. I found the movie borderline-exploitative.. I thought the line spoken by Jamal ("You wanted to see the 'real India'? Well, this is it") to be the most striking part of the movie.. but, considering the events that follow (gameshow, love-story, crime capers, etc.), I feel like we--the audience--lose that perspective.. anyone else have trouble with this?

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:36 am

About the title:

I think they should have kept the book's title of Q & A. 90% when the film has the word "dog" in the title and has nothing to do with dogs, the film is usually a forgettable B-movie or straight-to-video title. This is why I thought that Slumdog Millionaire was going to flop.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 am

Buscemi wrote:the film has the word "dog" in the title and has nothing to do with dogs
that's exactly why, to this day, i refuse to watch Reservoir Dogs.. i was SO excited when i heard about it, but then i was told that there isn't a single puppy in the entire film.. bah! still haven't seen it

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 am

I said usually. Reservoir Dogs is an exception. And so is Straw Dogs.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:06 am

Or El Perro. A brilliant Argentinian movie. And it is actually about a dog. NSpan, you'll love it.

Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 am

[quote="NSpan"]
mfrendo wrote:I was the only one on these boards, to my knowledge, that was less than impressed with the film

i was right there with ya, frendo

[quote="NSpan"]

My apologies, NSpan...now that you mention it, I do remember you being right there with me. My mistake.
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am

Dog Day Afternoon,

The Truth about Cats and Dogs. Oops, hang on, that one supports your theory Buscemi!
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am

There was a dog in The Truth About Cats and Dogs.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:

Hugh Jackman was great, and it was great to see that an Aussie can insult New Zealand even at the Oscars (take THAT ss!)..

What!! Where was that, I didn't see it. What happened? I'll have Jackman's head!!!

Very beginning.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top