The Academy Awards Extravaganza Thread, Or How To Promote The Bejezzus Out Of A Movie Which Would Usually Flop

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Academy Awards Extravaganza Thread, Or How To Promote The Bejezzus Out Of A Movie Which Would Usually Flop

Post by Buscemi on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 am

Will we be expecting Mickey Rourke's dogs to get revenge on the Academy?

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Academy Awards Extravaganza Thread, Or How To Promote The Bejezzus Out Of A Movie Which Would Usually Flop

Post by Buscemi on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 am

If anyone is confused, I'm referencing when Mickey Rourke thanked his dogs in his Golden Globe speech.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:53 am

The sweep is complete! Jai Ho!
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:55 am

Well, another year. Another travesty to put down in the books.
Congratulations to Slumdog Millionaire for a good ol fashioned rags to riches story.
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 am

The disappointment I feel from this year exceeds the elation I felt from last year when pretty much everything went right. But how can anyone really be surprised. You can't expect the Academy to be right. I just hope this really is the worst rated academy awards. By a lot.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:00 am

All because Mickey didn't win?
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 am

Well, it was a pretty good show overall...I didn't like the opening number though. It felt a little like a second-rate Billy Crystal number.
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 am

I didn't watch. Maybe had Wall-E presented a category then I would have (animated characters have presented categories before).

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Man on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 am

My thoughts:

Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn both gave great performances, but I was rooting for Mickey. Too bad.

Decent show - There were hardly any surprises, and I hated the Slumdog sweep, even though I enjoyed the film very much.

That is all.

J-Man
Juno MacGuff
Juno MacGuff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 am

Wall-E can't fucking talk, or did you not get that?

And no JackO, it was a combination of Mickey not winning, the absolute snubbery of the Dark Knight and, to a lesser extent, the Slumdog sweep.

Last edited by geezer9687 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 am

But he can't talk...not really anyway. It was good, but it wasn't really that great. I don't think Hugh Jackman will be back next year. They're gonna need to do a whole hell of a lot more than get Wolverine to host to boost the ratings.
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 am

He may have a limited vocabulary, but it would be entertaining to watch Wall-E and the robots in action.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 am

Also, is it just me or were the nominations not really spread out this year? I mean, in the non-documentary/short feature categories, there were a total of like ten different movies nominated.
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Oh. Guess I had to be there.... Damn how many dance lessons must Hugh Jackman have taken for this. I guess we know what he was fitting in between his Wolverine acting...
nah, Hugh Jackman is a total dandy.. he's much more at home on the stage than doing X-Men movies.. tonight was probably a cake-walk for him..

IPKI$$ wrote:Well, it was a pretty good show overall...I didn't like the opening number though. It felt a little like a second-rate Billy Crystal number.
i liked it.... and i usually hate that type of thing

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:19 pm

You know, I think the criticism for this years winners is totally unwarranted. Sure we all have our picks we would *like* to win, but in all honesty this year there was the greatest range of really deserving films. Can you honestly say Curious Case, Milk, Slumdog, The Wrestler, etc didn't all pretty much equally deserve a win - they were all exceptional films.

The only one I do kind of question is Kate Winslet's win, I thought the film over all was pretty unnecessary, and if you cut out all the scenes in which she was nude, I highly doubt this would have even been considered, but nudity + Nazi plotline = win, apparently. To me it was pretty much outright vulgar to spend 30-45 minutes of nothing but pedo sex scenes in order to establish the relationship... Once it got past that it was definitely better and more interesting but still just left me scratching my head as far as what the heck the intent was, I did miss the very ending though so I may have missed some key point that would have made everything sensible.

Edit : Oh and Hugh Jackman got his start in musical theatre, so I'm with Nspan.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:20 pm

becs, when I was watching The Reader, at first I thought the same thing about all of the random sex at the beginning, but I believe the point of showing the relationship that way was in order to illustrate 1. how youthful naivete' and experience can learn from each other, and 2. how easily youth is influenced by older generations, as that seems to be one of the more prevalent themes explored near the end. I actually thought it was the best of the five, but I'm a sucker for coming-of-age tales set against important historical backdrops.

Personally, my only beef with the field as a whole is that I thought all of the movies were good, but none of them was particularly outstanding to me as the only true excellent movie I saw from the last year was The Wrestler.
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:26 pm

becs wrote:You know, I think the criticism for this years winners is totally unwarranted. Sure we all have our picks we would *like* to win, but in all honesty this year there was the greatest range of really deserving films. Can you honestly say Curious Case, Milk, Slumdog, The Wrestler, etc didn't all pretty much equally deserve a win - they were all exceptional films.

The only one I do kind of question is Kate Winslet's win, I thought the film over all was pretty unnecessary, and if you cut out all the scenes in which she was nude, I highly doubt this would have even been considered, but nudity + Nazi plotline = win, apparently. To me it was pretty much outright vulgar to spend 30-45 minutes of nothing but pedo sex scenes in order to establish the relationship... Once it got past that it was definitely better and more interesting but still just left me scratching my head as far as what the heck the intent was, I did miss the very ending though so I may have missed some key point that would have made everything sensible.

Edit : Oh and Hugh Jackman got his start in musical theatre, so I'm with Nspan.

The Reader is a questionable movie, but this is more likely a career Oscar for Kate, rather than her amazing body. Which is amazing by the way. Except for her big purple nipples.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 pm

I enjoyed this years Oscars.. Well, i've enjoyed what i've seen so far. From what i have seen it is certainly less cheesy and much funnier than it has been in recent times.

I loved the opening 'budget' dance number. Hugh Jackman was great, and it was great to see that an Aussie can insult New Zealand even at the Oscars (take THAT ss!)..

All in all i have no qualms with it, and while i REALLY wanted Rourke to win, i figured Sean Penn was the more likely of the two given Rourkes history, and the nature of Penns role, not to mention that they were both actually fantastic.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 pm

I never actually did mention this before, but I love the title of this thread Surfer. Its so true.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm

geezer9687 wrote: I just hope this really is the worst rated academy awards. By a lot.

Actually the show ratings are up over last year.

Preliminary ratings show Oscar numbers up (AP)
Source: AP 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
Buzz up!

o email
o im
o del.ici.ous
o digg
o facebook

Oscar host is seen backstage at the 81st Academy Awards Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009, in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

NEW YORK - A preliminary measurement of the nation's biggest markets shows ratings for this year's Academy Awards went up 6 percent over last year, yet the telecast is still likely to be among the three least-watched Oscars ever.

Nielsen Media Research says its estimate of the Oscar audience's size will come later Monday. Last year's audience of 32 million was the smallest ever measured for an Oscar telecast.

Last year and in 2003, when "Chicago" won best picture before 33 million viewers, are the low-water marks for the annual show.

New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were the markets with the highest Oscar ratings Sunday.
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 pm

I didnt watch the show. i agree with most of the winners, I'm glad penelope cruz won for best supporting actress, she was great in vicky cristina barcelona.

I dont get all the hate that Slumdog is getting now that it won, who thought that it was not going to win? I guess everybody was secretly hoping that their favorite was going to win.
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 am

i am really not shocked Sean Penn won i am actually very angry he won because i hate Sean Penn. The Academy sucks and think everybody knows that by now they never get it right. I havent seen Slumdog Millonare yet so i cant way in on that. Also got to say Wall-E wasnt very good it was decent but it was not the masterpiece that people pegged it to be.
transformers2
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 am

if NSpan ran the Oscars, the 5 Best Picture nominees would've been:

The Wrestler
The Dark Knight
Step Brothers
WALL-E
Burn After Reading

and, to decide a winner, we would throw them all into a ring and have a royal rumble match that ended when only one movie was left standing.. the match would begin when Wall-E himself and a DVD copy of Burn After Reading each enter the ring.. Wall-E would simply sit down and watch the DVD.. Mickey Rourke would stumble in from the set of Barfly and proceed to vomit in the corner--while Wall-E, meanwhile, gains sentience from having learned valuable life lessons from the Coen Brothers, despite his artificial being.. the moment his metaphorical heart begins to beat for the first time, the DVD of Burn After Reading self-destructs as the credits finish rolling. Both the DVD and the little robot who learned how to love are destroyed in the horrible explosion and subsequent fire.. as the smoke clears, Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly enter the ring.. Ignoring Rourke, apparently unconscious in his pool of blood and vomit, they promptly bury each other alive.. around this point in the match, Christian Bale swings into the ring from the rafters above (wearing full Batman gear, mind you); he excuses himself for tardiness citing the fact that he got held up beating his mother and sister.. after kicking Mickey Rourke while he's down, Bale's attention is drawn to the lighting guy--whom he proceeds to mercilessly beat into a pulp.. for this unwarranted action, the referee (played by Sean Penn) disqualifies Bale from the running.. Bale mutters a half-assed apology, admits to acting like "a real fucking idiot" and says that he's "really fucking sorry".. he quietly leaves the stage muttering "but I'm the Batman!" to himself.. Mickey Rourke, finally beginning to regain his senses, clambers to his feet and sees that his competition is gone.. his "comeback" almost complete, he turns to referee Sean Penn to claim his victory.. he is dismayed to see that Sean Penn, by this point, has already left the ring to take part in a photo shoot of Angelina Jolie and himself feeding emaciated African children--effectively robbing Mickey Rourke of his victory.. it seems that all is lost, when a dismayed Rourke notices that Penn neglected to actually take the award statue with him when he left (he refused it on principle: he's waiting to be retroactively awarded a statue for his role in Fast Times at Ridgemont High).. Mickey's eyes light up: his comeback is finally nearing fruition.. just when the award statue itself is within reach, McLovin (dressed in cardboard armor and wielding a home-made aluminum sword) decapitates Rourke and takes the prize for himself.. McLovin is declared "King of the Realm" and the Best Picture award goes to Role Models..

Curtain drops. Credits roll. The End.

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am

Nice, NSpan, that was worth a slight smirk. Anyway, some comments following my early exit yesterday:

IPKI$$ wrote:I love Kate Winslet, she really is one of THE best actresses working today.

I totally concur. There isn't a better one out there. She is absolutely amazing, and her body looked great in The Reader too.

JackO wrote:Sean Penn WINS! I'm not so much surprised more so disappointed.

Again, I agree. Penn is a very good actor, but I want the Academy to give someone else a turn, and though I'm yet to see it, from what I have seen, Mickey Rourke looked very worthy. I suppose I was waiting for my surprise all night, this was it. It was the greatest comeback story that never was.

I wonder how that will effect his Iron Man 2 negotiations . . .

I think it will just confirm that Marvel won't be offering Rourke any decent money at all for it. So I guess we need another bad guy.

NSpan wrote:nah, Hugh Jackman is a total dandy.. he's much more at home on the stage than doing X-Men movies.. tonight was probably a cake-walk for him..

Well, I for one hope not to see him in something in the same vain as Mamma Mia. Actually, I hope never to see another muscial of that variety in my life.

becs wrote:You know, I think the criticism for this years winners is totally unwarranted. Sure we all have our picks we would *like* to win, but in all honesty this year there was the greatest range of really deserving films. Can you honestly say Curious Case, Milk, Slumdog, The Wrestler, etc didn't all pretty much equally deserve a win - they were all exceptional films.

I totally agree. What's with all the back stabbing of Slumdog? I'm sure if we traced back through the 'An Idea' thread we would see nothing but 9s and 10s for the movie, and now its winning everything its all of a sudden not worthy? I honestly thought this years nominations were very good. Of the movies I have seen, all of those nominated were completely worthy. It would have been nice to see TDK up there, but seriously, did anyone of us really expect it. I hoped, but never expected.

The only one I do kind of question is Kate Winslet's win, I thought the film over all was pretty unnecessary, and if you cut out all the scenes in which she was nude, I highly doubt this would have even been considered, but nudity + Nazi plotline = win, apparently. To me it was pretty much outright vulgar to spend 30-45 minutes of nothing but pedo sex scenes in order to establish the relationship..

Here I disagree, however. I thought The Reader was stunning, falling only behind TDK, Wall-E and Benjamin Button on my favourite movies of the last year. It was a tour de force from Winslett, and I can now totally understand why she was nominated for that instead of Revolutionary Road. And I agree with all of IPKI$$ comments on the matter. It really did give the audience an idea of how their relationship worked.

Banks wrote:The Reader is a questionable movie, but this is more likely a career Oscar for Kate, rather than her amazing body. Which is amazing by the way. Except for her big purple nipples

Actually, I thought her areola were the most distracting part of her breasts, her nipples were fine.

Barca wrote:I enjoyed this years Oscars.. Well, i've enjoyed what i've seen so far. From what i have seen it is certainly less cheesy and much funnier than it has been in recent times.

Of what I have seen, it was great. The Pineapple Express feature, the Stiller/Phoenix moment, the Jack Black Pixar joke, Natalie Portman looked hot. Win all round. Jackman seems to have gone down well, and it seemed a much more relaxed and personal awards than previously, and definitely speedier.

Hugh Jackman was great, and it was great to see that an Aussie can insult New Zealand even at the Oscars (take THAT ss!)..

What!! Where was that, I didn't see it. What happened? I'll have Jackman's head!!!

Geez wrote:I never actually did mention this before, but I love the title of this thread Surfer. Its so true.

Well, i am brilliant, what would you expect?

Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:03 am

How come the Oscar buzzed movies (Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button) win all of the little awards? I mean, can't a bad movie win Cinematography or something? Slumdog Millionaire winning for Sound seems to fit my argument, not that I saw it.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top