The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS: FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE!

+5
geezer9687
Donte77
JackO
Swedgin!
Shrykespeare
9 posters

Go down

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS:  FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE! Empty MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS: FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE!

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Okay, Fantaverse, the first season ever with the format of "pricing by committee" is now ready to be unveiled. I think you'll find that we have compiled a very interesting schedule (subject to massive change, I'm sure, oh, fickle fickle Hollywood), and some very interesting pricing schemes.

I would very much like to thank my fellow panel members Chienfantome and Swedgin!, as well as "guest" panel members SuperShaan (subbing for the extremely busy Mr. Informative this month), geezer, Buscemi and numbersix.

I will be posting this list on a few other threads just to make sure it doesn't get missed (as it will be the universal - or is it paramount? - pricing list for all leagues created for this season. I will also be e-mailing the list to all players who don't habitually read these boards and are somewhat cavalier about procrastinating.

Just a note: the season begins on March 4th, which is a WEDNESDAY, with the release of 12, two days before the much-anticipated release of Watchmen. I shouldn't have to tell you to get your slates (COMPLETE WITH STUDIO NAMES, PLEASE!!) in before those dates if you want to avail yourself of them. As usual, you can PM me or e-mail me at Shrykespeare42@gmail.com.

And please, when you are making rosters, make double-sure you are differentiating between Box Office and Ultimate prices. Mixing them up just creates a headache for all involved. I do NOT double-check everyone's math, which means that if you turn in a slate that is over $100, I will not notice until much, much later, so police yourselves in that respect, please.

(Final note to the panel members: I double-checked the list against both Box Office Mojo and ComingSoon.net, and finding no trace of "The Merry Gentlemen" on either, decided to avoid the headache and simply pull it, counterbalancing its removal with the last-minute addition, on Swedge's recommendation, of "Brothers of War".)

And so, without any further ado, here are the lists. Let the hang-wringing and head-banging begin!

ULTIMATE

3/4 12 - $8
3/6 Watchmen - $38
3/6 Tokyo! - $6
3/6 Phoebe in Wonderland - $5
3/6 The Horsemen - $4

3/13 Race to Witch Mountain - $19
3/13 Sunshine Cleaning - $13
3/13 Brothers at War - $7
3/13 The Last House on the Left - $6
3/13 Miss March - $3

3/20 I Love You, Man - $16
3/20 Duplicity - $14
3/20 Knowing - $9
3/20 The Great Buck Howard - $7
3/20 Skills Like This - $4
3/20 Sin Nombre - $3
3/20 Sex Positive - $3

3/27 Monsters vs. Aliens - $33
3/27 Adventureland - $8
3/27 Little Ashes - $8
3/27 12 Rounds - $5
3/27 The Haunting in Connecticut - $4
3/27 The Janky Promoters - $4

4/3 Fast & Furious - $22
4/3 Paris 36 - $9
4/3 The Escapist - $7
4/3 Sugar - $5
4/3 Alien Trespass - $3

4/8 Dragonball Evolution - $8
4/8 Lymelife - $8
4/10 Hannah Montana: The Movie - $18
4/10 Observe and Report - $12

4/17 State of Play - $15
4/17 17 Again - $11
4/17 Crank: High Voltage - $6
4/17 American Violet - $6
4/17 Every Little Step - $4
4/17 Sleep Dealer - $2

4/22 Earth - $11
4/24 The Soloist - $12
4/24 The Informers - $8
4/24 Tyson - $8
4/24 Obsessed - $6
4/24 Fighting - $5
4/24 The Mutant Chronicles - $3

5/1 X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $38
5/1 Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - $11
5/1 Battle For Terra - $7

5/8 Star Trek - $29
5/8 Next Day Air - $6
5/8 Adoration - $6
5/8 My Life in Ruins - $4

5/14 O'Horten - $6
5/15 Angels & Demons - $28
5/15 The Brothers Bloom - $7

5/21 Terminator: Salvation - $27
5/22 Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - $26
5/22 The Limits of Control - $6
5/22 Easy Virtue - $6
5/22 Dance Flick - $5
5/22 The Girlfriend Experience - $5

5/29 Up - $15
5/29 Drag Me to Hell - $5
5/29 The Lonely Maiden/Maiden Heist - $3

BOX OFFICE

3/4 12 - $2
3/6 Watchmen - $38
3/6 The Horsemen - $3
3/6 Tokyo! - $2
3/6 Phoebe in Wonderland - $2

3/13 Race to Witch Mountain - $19
3/13 The Last House on the Left - $6
3/13 Miss March - $4
3/13 Sunshine Cleaning - $3
3/13 Brothers at War - $2

3/20 I Love You, Man - $16
3/20 Duplicity - $13
3/20 Knowing - $11
3/20 The Great Buck Howard - $2
3/20 Skills Like This - $2
3/20 Sin Nombre - $2
3/20 Sex Positive - $2

3/27 Monsters vs. Aliens - $34
3/27 Adventureland - $6
3/27 12 Rounds - $5
3/27 The Haunting in Connecticut - $4
3/27 The Janky Promoters - $4
3/27 Little Ashes - $2

4/3 Fast & Furious - $21
4/3 Paris 36 - $2
4/3 Sugar - $2
4/3 Alien Trespass - $2
4/3 The Escapist - $2

4/8 Dragonball Evolution - $8
4/8 Lymelife - $2
4/10 Hannah Montana: The Movie - $20
4/10 Observe and Report - $12

4/17 State of Play - $11
4/17 17 Again - $12
4/17 Crank: High Voltage - $7
4/17 Every Little Step - $2
4/17 American Violet - $2
4/17 Sleep Dealer - $2

4/22 Earth - $4
4/24 The Soloist - $9
4/24 Fighting - $6
4/24 Obsessed - $5
4/24 The Mutant Chronicles - $3
4/24 The Informers - $3
4/24 Tyson - $2

5/1 X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $40
5/1 Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - $10
5/1 Battle For Terra - $5

5/8 Star Trek - $31
5/8 Next Day Air - $6
5/8 My Life in Ruins - $5
5/8 Adoration - $2

5/14 O'Horten - $2
5/15 Angels & Demons - $28
5/15 The Brothers Bloom - $3

5/21 Terminator: Salvation - $26
5/22 Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - $25
5/22 Dance Flick - $7
5/22 The Girlfriend Experience - $2
5/22 Easy Virtue - $2
5/22 The Limits of Control - $2

5/29 Up - $15
5/29 Drag Me to Hell - $6
5/29 The Lonely Maiden/Maiden Heist - $2

Last edited by Shrykespeare on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS:  FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE! Empty Re: MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS: FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE!

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:59 pm

And I forgot to mention, I am, as of now, taking slates for the following leagues:

Super Leagues:
Ultimate FY R3
Ultimate HY R3
Box Office FY R3
Box Office HY R3

Regular Leagues:
Ultimate League - "Blade Runner" - roster names must be tied to that film (courtesy of codeslinger)
Box Office League - "Chasing Storms"

Whoever gets their rosters in first gets a free IM. Well, not really, but just pretend. Very Happy
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS:  FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE! Empty Re: MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS: FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE!

Post by Swedgin! Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:29 am

Well -- VERY well -- done, Shrykey. Y' done good, partner, as usual your diligence, intrepidity, and common sense are in high fettle. You are an example to us all, or at least us some. Erm. You know what I mean.

Some comments...

Later on Shryke's going to be posting the "raw data," leaving out the names (and thereby protecting the identities of the innocent and errant, yours truly most assuredly included), to give the process even greater transparency -- no one really wants to see how sausages are made, but in this case I / we feel that the more sunshine is let in on the price-fixing (was looking for a better way to put that, there, but oh, well), the better. However, I wanted to come right out and say that I, for one, perhaps overvalued many of the potentially higher-flying releases between March 1 and May 31... I ended up pricing not one, not two, but four (Ultimate) titles in the high $40s (X-Men Origins: Wolverine at $46, Star Trek and Monsters vs. Aliens at $47, and Watchmen at a staggering $49), and eight other films at $20-plus (Knowing at $22, Fast & Furious and Race to Witch Mountain at $23, Terminator Salvation at $24, Earth at $25, Hannah Montana: The Movie at $27, and Angels & Demons and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian at $34), which in retrospect may have been pushing things, making an already-challenging season nigh-impossible for those players lacking a Cray supercomputer, a Ouija board and a flying DeLorean. As one of my esteemed colleagues in this inaugural venture noted, such prices may well have made building a halfway decent slate about as likely as swimming to the moon. (I paraphrase.) In fact, in total, I had the HIGHEST pricing schedule, either all by myself or having "tied" with another contributor, for twenty of the 63 films we had considered (not counting Brothers at War, for which I was one of only two pricers; or Sleep Dealer, which was universally priced at either $2 or $3). Those score of ceiling-busting titles included every single film I mentioned above with the exception of Fast & Furious and Terminator Salvation...and I was all by myself out there at the upper fringe of pricing, for fully 75% of those twelve films that I had priced at $22+. (However, I was, or shared, the "floor" for nine other titles, and in a dozen other cases either accurately "predicted" the eventual "final" price, or was the closest contributor to it. So, there ya go.)

All this is by way of acknowledging that my "system" has some apparent kinks to be ruled out, and to give players some insight into this contributor's perhaps mystifying thought processes. As always, I relied upon a spreadsheet I constantly revise that attempts to prognosticate -- within the relevant period, which can be important when comparing, say, the prospects of the late-opening Terminator Salvation with the relatively early-blooming Star Trek -- each film's dollar earnings, as well as identifying likely "ranges" for its IMDb, Top 5 points, and PTA. I won't get into details -- don't want to divulge too much information, since if I'm right, it could give opponents a competitive edge, and if I'm very, very wrong, I could really really screw somebody, and not in a good way -- but I will say this: My submitted prices, many of which were by necessity thrown out, reflected this thinking.

Anywho. Thanks to everybody who helped Shryke put this together. I certainly had fun, and can't wait for the next go-round.

...[T]he universal - or is it paramount? - pricing list...
Har bloody har. You really need some new lines, mate. [Ducking]

I will also be e-mailing the list to all players who...are somewhat cavalier about procrastinating.
Speak for yourself. Me, I take my procrastinations SERIOUSLY. [Chuckle]

...on Swedge's recommendation...
That bump you just felt was me getting run over by the bus Shrykey just unceremoniously threw me under. [Grin]

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS:  FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE! 94552
Customer service is one of our top priorities. Number Two, actually

I'm actually really pleased at the final pricing, btw. There's a lot of possibilities, there. Hope y'all agree.

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS:  FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE! Wall-E-1368
Ta-da! Garbage in, garbage out
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:47 am

Sorry, Complaint Department's down the hall. This is Abuse.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:57 am

Pricing was very fair this time. I tried to overload my slate and couldn't do it.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 am

Well, that's always good news. [Grin]

MARCH-MAY PRICING LISTS:  FEAST YOUR EYES, EVERYONE! 2958626.600292
All men are dogs
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:02 am

Did anyone else notice the distinct lack of the $2 throwaway?? There is only one in the whole list and that is disconcerting.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 am

Yeah, the $2 throwaway seems to have become the $3 throwaway. Also has anyone thought of maybe making movies $1 or even free? I mean we do control the pricing schemes now, so who is to prevent us. Films like The Hottie and the Nottie should have been free, and I still wouldn't have put it on my slate.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 am

We'll keep that in mind if Paris does an Uwe Boll film. Other than that, it's tough to pick a film ahead of time with absolutely positively ZERO potential.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 am

Two words: Alien Trespass.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 am

I think there should be an option for a movie to be $1. Why not? If we pay 60+ for TDK why not $1 buck for Delgo???
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:27 am

I'm all for a $1 pick as well.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:32 am

Yeah, sometimes you just want to fill up your slate and a $1 pick works. Surely though, getting these $1 picks depends on more than one person placing it at that price, as going by the new rules of pricing aren't the top and bottom prices discounted?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:46 am

Yes they are, which probably led to the only one $2 throwaway in Ultimate.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by thswrestler160 Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 am

exactly so pricers for the next season spread the love and make some of em' cheap like a good box of wine.

thswrestler160
The McMannus Brothers
The McMannus Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:02 am

Will do, I was thinking Wolverine at $2....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Seems I made a goof when I posted the Box Office prices.... My Life in Ruins should have been $5, not $3. Hope that doesn't screw anyone up.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 am

Don't be a dick, Shryke. Keep My Life In Ruins at $3 since it's already established that it's $3. Even your Box Office game established it as a $3 pick.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 am

Sigh...

Fine, Buscemi. My typo is everyone's gain. It's not like that film is gonna do anything ANYWAY... pig
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:07 am

I agree, it wont do anything
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:31 am

Yeah... because wanting to post the actual price that the committee voted on because he made a mistake makes him a dick... yeah that makes a lot of sense.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 am

But the $3 price was sort of made official when he accepted it as $3 in his league. I believe that if it's accepted that way, then there's no point of return (as in, don't jack the price up when you've accepted it as fact that it's $3 instead of $5).

The old site previously did this with Never Back Down (changing it from $2 to $4 a week before release) and I got cheated out of $15 million as a result.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down