NOMINATIONS: Films in desperate need of a high-quality remake...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NOMINATIONS: Films in desperate need of a high-quality remake...

Post by numbersix_99 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:21 am

geezer9687 wrote:Well, like I said, it started as a joke. But I think if done well, any of those films could be made. I have not seen all of them, or even a majority of them, but that is my point. Its not like they are going to be re-released anytime soon. So what would be so wrong with doing a remake that honored the original and would expose an entire new generation of fans to the film's concept. I think it would be a much better option than just recycling the material into a half-assed film that just rips off elements of the originals like 95% of the films out there today. And like I said, making a re-make has no affect on the original film. If anything, it would just make you appreciate the original film more.

Edit: One important stipulation, Tim Burton is not allowed to do any of said remakes. He would just take the source material, and turn it into something that would only be good if you dropped acid before seeing it.

Geez, my man, while your point works in theory, it does not work when put to the test. I have yet to see a remake that is superior to the original, and very few that deserve to exist as a film at all (The Departed and Dawn of the Dead are two of the few I can muster up). And the reason is that most of us can see through what most remakes are, a despicable endeavour by some producer with dollar signs in his eyes, who rallies together a group of hacks so they can churn out something that may look like a movie, in order to, as they claim, introduce a classic to modern sensibilities. But they rarely work in their own right, which says a lot.

In terms of some of the classics you mentioned, the problem is that they have made such a mark on cinema, that they're kind of infused with the history of cinema, so a remake is indeed very pointless. Even if a film may not be a house-hold name, you'll see its influence in modern cinema. Look at how 2001 has inspired so many sci-fi movies to adapt a policy of technical realism, for example. Plus, not everyone only wants to watch new cinema releases. There are people out there who will search out those classics, and allow their perception and taste to be expanded by not just relying on modern cinema. And to be honest, it almost seems contradictory to remake films like those classics when you'd only be introducing the ideas that made them great to an audience who probably won't care in the first place, as they'd only be interested in explosions and bright lights. I believe people should be trying to break their preconceptions, instead of someone trying to mold those ideas to fit those preconceptions in the first place.

Finally, remakes aren't potentially awful in theory, but only if you get the right kind of talent involved. But, when you think about it, if there's the right kind of talent put to a project, especially at the writing and development stage, the talent will usually come up with their own story, their own scenario, that may be based on similar themes, but with their own ideas and thoughts integrated with that. So we'll get something with similar themes, but with a new relevant scenario, so much so that it no longer becomes a remake.

So yeah, stop trying to justify your laziness and watch a subtitled film ;-)

PS- I completely agree with what you said about Burton. The man is dead to me.
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 am

Well Six, it's not like I'm the one that is going to run out and finance the films. Just saying that if they were done, I may watch them. I agree with you about what most remakes turn into. But ya know what, that's not enough for me to write off the concept completely. Nor am I going to sign a petition to start remaking more films. Just saying the concept could work, in theory. And it would bring in more of an audience, because well, yes, we are lazy. And not everyone is as knowledgeable on film as the people on these boards.

And in response to this little number
numbersix_99 wrote:So yeah, stop trying to justify your laziness and watch a subtitled film ;-)
Sure can't wait for Spielberg's Oldboy Wink

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:50 am

Hahahaha...I'm with you on that one, geez!
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:54 am

Abre Los Ojos - Vanilla Sky was crap.
Memories of Murder
Ichi The Killer - Tarantino could do this one!

The Vengeance series is already being remade
Last House on the Left is being done already
Let The Right One in is being done already.

A lot of my desires are already in development.
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 am

I hope that don't remake Ichi. If they did, it would become just another gangster movie because the MPAA would force the filmmakers to tone done the violence.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:04 pm

JackO wrote:Ichi The Killer - Tarantino could do this one!
i actually considered adding this one to my own list...... but i think it's too soon... the mistakes that Miike made would only be repeated.. i'd love to see a great remake of this--but not yet.. within our lifetimes perhaps
NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Thinking more about it, I think the best kind of film to be remade is a flawed/bad/mediocre film that has an interesting idea worth exploring.

In that sense I think all of Takeshi Miike's films could be remade (except Visitor Q- that should be locked in an insane asylum). Miike's film are all very flawed, because he just churns them out (although that is also why he can make interesting films, because he works more on instinct and intuition than most directors).

A lot of 50's and 60's B-movies could potentially be remade, but looking at the most recent example, The Day the Earth Stood Still, we can see how that doesn't work.
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top