NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Post by Swedgin! on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 am

And, again, it's funny how I say, "Allow"
As I so very often find myself saying: It's funny 'cos it's true.

Last edited by Swedgin! on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

View user profile http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Re: NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Post by silversurfer19 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:06 am

I would have thought some of you guys would have found partners who share your same fondness for all things Geek. I did, and my house is still adorned with my comics, music and movie merchandise, as well as mounted and laminate artwork of, of the top of my head: A Killing Joke , Marvel Civil War, Planet Terror, 300, The Datsuns, Shihad, Death of The Stacey's, White Stripes, and Red Sonja. Am I in the minority who actually sought out a partner who shares, or at least puts up with, my obsessions? [sigh]

Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:25 am

Do you remember what you saw at Grauman's Chinese, Swedge?

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 am

I would have thought some of you guys would have found partners who share your same fondness for all things Geek.
Not I, said the cow: I married a former cheerleader, a sorority officer, a member of Texas A&M's Student Senate and the national Pan-Hellenic Society. Our courtship was very much like the third act of Revenge of the Nerds, except I didn't make nearly as high grades as the members of Lambda Lambda Lambda.

However, she plays weirdly awesome board and other games with me frequently, particularly Fury of Dracula, War of the Ring, Illuminati and pretty much every version of Axis & Allies ever made, not to mention the free-time-eating Twilight Imperium and Descent, so I can hardly complain. She also plays EVE Online with me. She's really gotten into Battlestar Galactica these last few years, and I get to choose most movies we see in theaters between March and August. And I've either finally managed to convince her that Rush is the greatest musical group of all time, or I've finally bludgeoned her into mute, self-preserving compliance. I really don't care at this point. [Grin] So I've got no room to complain, really (though, naturally, I still do).

...[M]y house is still adorned with my comics, music and movie merchandise, as well as mounted and laminate artwork...
Now, there, ya got me. My wife is right now in the middle of relocating my man-cave (LOVE Defending the Caveman, seen it thrice) from our guest bedroom, formerly known as my office, to the garage, which I've been assured I'll have total control of so long as there's still room to fit the minivan. It's either that, or I'll be forced to purchase another storage unit and move in, along with all my books and games and maps and ship models sextants and weird clocks and autographed posters of Darth Vader posing in front of the Death Star and pointing his finger and commanding, "I WANT YOU FOR THE IMPERIAL NAVY". I wonder if U-Store-It will let me have a DirecTV dish... Hmmm.

Am I in the minority who actually sought out a partner who shares, or at least puts up with, my obsessions? [sigh]
There's a difference, y'see, between "seek" and "find". And between "find" and "acquire". And between "acquire" and "retain".

Do you remember what you saw at Grauman's Chinese, Swedge?
I do, actually: The Lion King. We'd intended to take my wife's cousin, who had several physical and mental disabilities, to see Forrest Gump (we weren't being cruel, he really, REALLY wanted to see it), but it hadn't come out yet, so we took him to see Disney's masterpiece, which ended up being one of my favorite films of the year. (He never got to see Gump, sadly; he died of a grand mal seizure two weeks later.) The big attraction for us, though, was the sidewalk: I remember vividly seeing handprints and autographs of Harrison Ford, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, and RD-2D and C-3PO, plus, of course, the entire cast of Star Trek. Someone's footprints, too, I remember. Then we checked out the Walk of Fame, hopped down La Brea Avenue and got ourselves a couple of Pink's famous hot dogs. The Missus had a Madonna or a Paula Abdul or a Demi Moore or something, and I had a Planet Hollywood dog and one of their signature 10"s, and tried not to fall victim to any sort of weenie envy.
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:19 am

Ahh the Lion King. Bet that was awesome. Best Animated film ever. Nuff' Said.

Check out my blog! http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

View user profile http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:23 am

That's a bittersweet story.

I remember going to Los Angeles in 1994, visiting second cousins. We went to Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and some other places. One of my favorite vacations (along with going to Disney World in 2000) and a vacation that fueled my interest in film.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:24 am

geezer9687 wrote:Ahh the Lion King. Bet that was awesome. Best Animated film ever. Nuff' Said.

Off the top of my head, I would say Waking Life is the best animated film ever...
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:32 am

Well, I can tell you that our tastes, are vastly different frendo, so, to each his own.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:44 am

silversurfer19 wrote:I would have thought some of you guys would have found partners who share your same fondness for all things Geek. I did, and my house is still adorned with my comics, music and movie merchandise, as well as mounted and laminate artwork of, of the top of my head: A Killing Joke , Marvel Civil War, Planet Terror, 300, The Datsuns, Shihad, Death of The Stacey's, White Stripes, and Red Sonja. Am I in the minority who actually sought out a partner who shares, or at least puts up with, my obsessions? [sigh]

Surf,

I consider myself lucky enough that I found someone who loves the fact that I love the things that I do. We have so many things that we do share, Sports, movies, music, TV shows, theater that it's actualyl good to have soem things that are just our own. Christina has attended a few comic conventions with me and seen me in all my naked geekdom (She loves to people watch and what better place to do it than a comic con?)

I have to come to realize over time that it is her house and I just pay the mortgage (Actually the house belongs to the dogs, and we're just lucky they still let us live in it). That's not to say that some of the geek collection hasn't made it out into "the real house". The picture I posted on here somewhere that she got done of me drawn by one of the Simpsons' artists, a couple of Burton Morris originals and the Frank Miller Daredevil cover (Because she's heard of him from movies and stuff) all proudly hang out in the open where anyone can see them. The rest of the stuff is proudly displayed in the man cave where, as she puts it, only people who are brave enough to enter the cave should have the privilidge of seeing them.

Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

View user profile http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:05 am

Off the top of my head, I would say Waking Life is the best animated film ever...
For me, as far as "traditional" cel animation goes, it would probably be The Iron Giant, though Lion King Fantasia and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would all rank pretty high. I appreciate Waking Life but don't actually consider it animation, any more than Sin City, The Spirit or James Cameron's upcoming Avatar are "animated" films.

I consider myself lucky enough that I found someone who loves the fact that I love the things that I do. ...[But] it's [actually] good to have [some] things that are just our own.
Heard and seconded. In spite of all the things (90210, HGTV, The E! True Hollywood Story, Jon & Kate Plus 8, Freddie Prinze, Jr., Grease, Madonna, etc., etc., etc.) my spouse does and loves and drags me, often unwilling, into enduring that make me want to curse and fume and cry, we both make real efforts to support each other's passions: I have served on the cheerleading board of our local youth sports organization under her leadership as commissioner; she (and our daughter, and, over the years, many of our friends and neighbors) helps me undertake the effort of "Decoration Day" every Flag Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans' Day, when we plant American flags and police the graves of veterans buried in our community's public cemetary. I encouraged and assisted her when she became a part-time "house mom" and counselor to her sorority's chapter at a local four-year university; she has stood behind me as I have taken on larger roles in politics, starting off as a volunteer elections official, then a precinct captain, followed by representation to our party's state convention, and most recently as a national delegate. So I forgive her her occasional resistance when, for example, I insist on watching all ten hours of Band of Brothers over Thanksgiving Day weekend, or when I bring out one of my Battle of Gettysburg tabletop sims and keep it on the dining room table for three weeks while I game out a new Confederate strategy, or when I crank Rush in Rio up in our home theater system and start shaking windows all up and down our suburban street. After all, it's not like I was exactly thrilled when she insisted we pay money to see Head Over Heels, either. [Grin]

Christina has attended a few comic conventions with me and seen me in all my naked geekdom...
Erm. Cons sure have changed since I was a regular attendee, apparently. Starfleet uniforms, cool. Furries, ick. Birthday suits, count me out.

(She loves to people watch and what better place to do it than a comic con?)
For REAL surreal sicko freakishness, try Starbucks, or, like I said, a Furries convention.

I have to come to realize over time that it is her house and I just pay the mortgage (Actually the house belongs to the dogs, and we're just lucky they still let us live in it).
Ain't that the truth. (Though, when we had a mortgage, actually it was more our less the Missus who paid that bill.) Our house belongs to our cats. Our backyard is the domain of our dogs. The garage, and on occasion the dog HOUSE, is all mine (apparently).

...[O]nly people who are brave enough to enter the cave should have the [privilege] of seeing them.
A-MEN! And what happens in the man-cave, STAYS in the man-cave. [Grin]
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:09 pm

I remember getting The Iron Giant on VHS for my 12th birthday... complete with Iron Giant action figure. Man, was I excited.
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:06 pm

MisterInformative wrote:I remember getting The Iron Giant on VHS for my 12th birthday... complete with Iron Giant action figure. Man, was I excited.

ha ha, and that was only 9 years ago
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Swedgin! wrote:

Christina has attended a few comic conventions with me and seen me in all my naked geekdom...
Erm. Cons sure have changed since I was a regular attendee, apparently. Starfleet uniforms, cool. Furries, ick. Birthday suits, count me out.[\qoute]

I'll keep teeing 'em up, you keep knocking 'em out of the park

(She loves to people watch and what better place to do it than a comic con?)
For REAL surreal sicko freakishness, try Starbucks, or, like I said, a Furries convention

Speaking of those furry little suckers, I'm not sure how we got so lucky here in the Burgh, but apparently we must be considered either "Furry Friendly" or at least tolerant because we now host the annual Furry convention every May. For an entire week, our downtown is over run by these creatures, most of them not ashamed to walk around the general public in all their furridom. Makes walking around in a Satrfleet uniform look like James Bond in a tux
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:53 pm

I'll keep teeing 'em up, you keep knocking 'em out of the park...
"All too easy..."

Speaking of those furry little suckers, I'm not sure how we got so lucky here in the Burgh, but apparently we must be considered either "Furry Friendly" or at least tolerant because we now host the annual Furry convention every May.
I'd say "Zounds, Brain," but one of the nitwits you're describing might be reading this, and get a stiffy at the thought of a giant white rat.

For an entire week, our downtown is over run by these creatures, most of them not ashamed to walk around the general public in all their furridom.
I'd love to be the community-service sentencee who was assigned to polish the hydrants the following week...

Makes walking around in a [Starfleet] uniform look like James Bond in a tux...
Warped factor nine point five, Mr. Sulu.

Name's "Pinky". Try not to get too excited
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Aw Swedge, we are really going to sit down and have us some beers some day. You bring the Shiners, I'll bring the Pearl. Not only Time Bandits, but Pinky and The Brain too? I was lucky enough to meet Rob Paulson many, many years ago at our local Warner Brothers store (Remember those?) and got him to sign my P&TB cell, a beauty of Pinky and Bubba-Bo-Bob Brain. Just looking at this guy and hearing Pinky's voice come out of his mouth was awesome.

Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 am

Didn't The Brain sound just like Orson Welles?

Ah frozen peas.....

numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:02 am

Don LaFontaine he wasn't.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:26 pm

If this doesn't qualify, I don't know what does. Joaquin the rapper?

http://chud.com/articles/articles/17799/1/IS-THE-WORLD-READY-FOR-A-JOAQUIN-PHOENIX-BIOPIC/Page1.html
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am

i just realized that Orson's frozen peas outburst is totally the precursor to Bill O'Reilly's teleprompter escapades:

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:33 am

A_Roode wrote:If this doesn't qualify, I don't know what does. Joaquin the rapper?

http://chud.com/articles/articles/17799/1/IS-THE-WORLD-READY-FOR-A-JOAQUIN-PHOENIX-BIOPIC/Page1.html

If Che's first half was called The Argentine and Howard Hughes's biopic was called The Aviator, I suggest for a title The Vegan. Or The Phoenix (wait, that should be River's life story).

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:21 am

Not exactly weird, but this happened at my job last night:

Movie Theater Fight Under Investigation
Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:16 AM

— Police said a fight Saturday night at Easton Town Center started after a group of teenagers were upset that a movie was sold out.

Easton mall security and officers on horseback and in cruisers responded to the mall at Easton at about 9:30 p.m., 10TV's Brittany Westbrook reported.

Police regained control of the crowd and directed the teenagers to the other side of Morse Crossing and away from the movie theater. That is where parents were able to pick up their children.

James Finnerty was there when the fight broke out.

"When we were in there, there was a huge crowd and I guess some people showed up to see the new Notorious B.I.G. movie, a bunch of young high school aged kids, and it got out of hand," Finnerty said. "(The police) were definitely outnumbered, but they seemed to be handling everything pretty well."

Bonnie, a parent who did not want 10TV to use her last name, said she was not happy about the response by police, Westbrook reported.

"It's ridiculous. Yeah we need to watch out for our children and everything, and we need to make them be responsible, but there's a better way to handle that," Bonnie said. "(They should have) kept all the kids at the community room until a parent was reached. Anything can happen to these kids."

Officials at Easton said their security officers were directing the teeangers to its community center.

Once the teenagers were evacuated from the movie theater, police allowed people with IDs back in. They had to be 21 or older to be allowed to return.

According to Easton Town Center policy, children 15 years old and younger must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian while in the public areas after 9:30 p.m.

The incident remained under investigation.
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:12 am

lol

NSpan
Borat
Borat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 am

There was a similar incident at a Notorious showing in Greensboro, North Carolina where a person got shot. But what makes it really interesting was the star of Notorious (Jamal Woollard) was at the theatre at the time the shooting occurred but was not a suspect since he was at a different showing of the film. The theatre has indefinitely suspended showings of Notorious (three screens worth).

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:13 am

You were certainly right buscemi. I don't understand the appeal of this film. People can't go see it without fights breaking out or shooting someone. Quite frankly, I'm damn proud that I'm not part of the crowd this film appeals to.

geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 am

That's a bit of a generalisation, Geez. I'm sure not every crowd for the movie is like that. That's the same as assuming every fan of Marilyn Manson is about to go on a killing spree in their school. I'm sure its just a bunch of kids who have massive ego problems, the parents seem to be a major problem though, too busy calling the police for everything when they can't control the actions of their kids.

Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top