NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Post by Swedgin! on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:31 am

Every Forum needs a thread like this.

Kicking off: Watching romantic comedies will doom your love life, according to this story from the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7784366.stm

So, remember: If you're looking for something to rent and initiate snuggle time with your significant otter, think The Thing instead of The Thing Called Love; Halloween versus Four Christmases; 28 Days Later..., not Two Weeks Notice; and Serenity in place of Serendipity.

Last edited by Swedgin! on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

View user profile http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Re: NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Post by IPKI$$ on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:31 am

And there it is.

What's been missing from The Fantaverse for far, far, far too long.
It's stupid shit like that, that got me hooked on our original forum!
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NEWS OF THE WEIRD: Stories of the strange, the sublime, the supernatural, the silly and the stupefying

Post by becs on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am

I actually agree mostly with that report, but I'm pretty sure most of you guys would as well... Shocking news flash, rom-coms aren't realistic. Not only are they not realistic, but they do promote squishy ideals of what love should be that are really detrimental to women's thinking in relationships - when women are already prone to over-internalize what they should be communicating clearly and directly with a partner or potential partner.
On the other hand, the same has gone on to a much more severe level from the opposite side of the coin within movies: women being objectified for physical beauty and men encouraged for their outrageous sexual exploits.
I would however say, just within the past year or so, we have begun to see a turn for the more enlightened in the comedy genre which plays to both sides and balances them appropriately - and has done well at the box office for it: Finding Sarah Marshall, 50 First Dates, Knocked Up - all excellent examples of what I'm talking about. In the end, I don't think its movies that create this thinking in women that becomes unrealistic expectations - its simply an additional nudge toward already existing tendencies.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36 am

I can't wait for Forgetting Sarah Marshall 2: Killing Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up Again...and This Time It's Personal.

My DVD's: http://damntheseloginnames.dvdaf.com/

The film lasts 99 minutes. The terror lasts forever.
Paranormal Activity
Now playing in select cities, coming soon everywhere.

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 am

Today's NEWS OF THE WEIRD:

Head-Banging Bad for the Brain: from the Discovery Channel
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/12/18/head-banging-brain.html

I shit you not, people, crap like this actually comes as news to some folks.

Responding:

...[T]here it is. What's been missing from The Fantaverse for far, far, far too long. It's stupid shit like that, that got me hooked on our original forum!
Yeah, I'm back. ...And there was much rejoicing.

Shocking news flash, rom-coms aren't realistic.
And yet... How many lonely, unattractive, deluded young and not-so-young women started listening to late-night talk radio after Sleepless in Seattle? Or signed up with AOL following You've Got Mail? Or bought themselves a Ginsu 2000 after buying a ticket to So I Married An Axe Murderer? Huh? Huh? Huh? Think about it!

...On the other hand, how many men started taking an interest in insulin after screening Reversal of Fortune? Erm, perhaps I'm reaching, there.

Not only [that], but they do promote squishy ideals of what love should be...
I simply cannot hear, read or say the word "squishy" anymore without imagining Dory from Finding Nemo. Sorry. I tried.

...that are really detrimental to women's thinking in relationships...
Wanna know what's REALLY 'detrimental to women's thinking in relationships'? Men. (Speaking as one.)

...[W]omen...should be communicating clearly and directly with a partner or potential partner.
If that partner's a man, turn off Dr. "The problem here is, you're simply an asshole, m'kay?" Phil, put down the Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus and blow off the Misogynists Anonymous support group, and pick up a heavy mallet, and hit the stupid son of a bitch with it, repeatedly, until you either evoke the response you want, bludgeon him into tranquil acceptance, or diminish his capacity and bodily functions to the point where the only thing he can communicate or aspire to is a desperately plaintive wish for immediate death. Everything else is a waste of your time, your money and your hope. (Again, speaking as one.)

On the other hand, the same has gone on to a much more severe level from the opposite side of the coin within movies: women being objectified for physical beauty and men encouraged for their outrageous sexual exploits.
That bothers me less.

I would however say, just within the past year or so, we have begun to see a turn for the more enlightened in the comedy genre which plays to both sides and balances them appropriately - and has done well at the box office for it: Finding Sarah Marshall, 50 First Dates, Knocked Up - all excellent examples of what I'm talking about.
Great: 50 First Dates is a model for ending the war between the sexes. All we need to do is breed the stupefyingly moronic with the mentally disabled, and we'll create a just and peaceful society. (Sounds a lot like Oregon.)

In the end, I don't think its movies that create this thinking in women that becomes unrealistic expectations - its simply an additional nudge toward already existing tendencies.

Guns don't kill people, Hugh Grant and Gwyneth Paltrow kill people. Makes sense to me.

I can't wait for Forgetting Sarah Marshall 2: Killing Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up Again...and This Time It's Personal.
How 'bout Two Weeks Death Notice? My Best Friend's Funeral? How to Kill a Guy in 10 Seconds? You've Got Herpes? Shallow Grave Hal?
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Today's NEWS OF THE WEIRD is, amazingly enough, film-related:

Eddie Murphy May Take on Riddler Role in 'Dark Knight' Sequel, from The Sun (UK) newspaper:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2048300.ece

...Criminy, I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand, The Sun is Britain's version of our National Enquirer. On the other hand, this is Christopher Nolan, who cast virtually every single actor against-type in the first two installments. On the gripping hand, I'm still recovering from surgery and may have accidentally OD'ed on my meds.

Perhaps the very strangest thing about this item is that it might actually be true. The above linked article's accompanying, PhotoShopped image, btw, is both sublime AND ridiculous.

The new Rogues' Gallery.
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:53 pm

If that last is true I will personally revoke Nolan's director membership. Unless he wants the Riddler to be extremely unfunny, in which case hiring Eddie is a move of utter genius since Eddie hasn't been funny in a couple of decades...
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:25 am

I hear ya, Infernal, but at this point I think only a fool would bet against Nolan. He's proven himself a genius too many times for me to have any confidence in my own pitiable, parochial, pathetic preconceptions with regard to casting.

In my humble opinion, the less comical Riddler is, the better. The Nolans and Bale aren't going for easy laughs so far, and look where it's taken them (and the franchise); why start now? The key to the character of Riddler is his towering arrogance, his über-narcissism (in contrast to Joker's equally perfected nihilism); his total conviction that he is so much more intelligent than his adversaries that, in order to keep things interesting, he must leave bread crumbs in the ultimately self-destructive hope that he will one day be challenged by someone worthy of his interest and effort. The world holds no surprises for Riddler; he chafes at the banality of existence, and sowing death and destruction is his coping mechanism for dealing with a universe that is so profoundly disappointing as to render him irrevocably apathetic. Joker's purpose was to "make a statement"; Riddler's is to entertain himself. Imagine what sort of world we might live in if Einstein's genius was twinned with the ideology of anarchy. Joker knew himself to be a mere creature, an outcast, a "freak"; what if Riddler became convinced he was a god? What mercurial temperament, what awful torments, what inexplicable mercies might such a thing be capable of? Joker, truthfully, wouldn't know what to do with a car if ever he actually caught one. Riddler knows EXACTLY what he would do with it. That's the truly horrifying part.

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS!] I would leave Joshua Harto in place as "Mister" Coleman Reese ("Mysteries"); in the wake of his removal from Wayne Enterprises and frustrated attempt to unmask Batman, he seems a perfect candidate to take over Lau's role as banker without portfolio to the Gotham Mafia. He wouldn't necessarily need to remain in Gotham for that, though the occasional face-to-face would probably be necessary, at least at first; and I rather suspect that Batman's exploits in Hong Kong, together with his new fugitive status, will result in repercussions that may preclude Batman from further forays into foreign territory. I wonder if we might see some sort of multinational task force, a sort of DC Universe Rainbow Six, formed in the next installment, a venture deliberately conceived to minimize Gordon's involvement / exclude his input. "Mister Reese" -- aka Riddler -- being aware of Batman's true identity, the walls could close in on Wayne quite significantly, as he is hampered by local authorities, stalked by Riddler and hunted by this -- dare I suggest it? -- Justice League Task Force. Don't forget, too: Gordon already has more than enough information to connect the dots. Alfred sent a text message to his cell phone warning of his police force's bad apples; a telephone number showed up on his phone. Unless that's merely an oversight by the filmmakers -- something I deeply, strongly doubt -- Gordon will have Batman's true identity shortly. Riddler will leave clues for law enforcement, not to mention bounty hunters, to find and interpret. I rather suspect it will be Gordon's interference, Wayne's and Alfred's thoroughness at obfuscating, obscuring and erasing their tracks, and Reese's impatience with the inefficiency of fools all-around that will provoke him to take direct action against Wayne. But this is all just supposition and fan-boy speculation, really.

The Batman franchise NEEDS some diversity, it's true, and I'm not averse to seeing Mr. Murphy in some role -- his career-best performance in Dreamgirls leads me to believe he could take on a truly SAVAGE role -- but there are a few things about this that strike me as false. First and most importantly, from what I understand the Nolans are only now just beginning to contemplate where the story needs to go from here, or, in fact, whether it 'needs' to AT ALL. It's true, Warner's, DC and Legendary will, even in this economy, dump wheelbarrows of coin on all the major players' front lawns to lock the entire cast and crew up for two to three more films. But the Nolans don't NEED to go back to this well again, and neither does Bale, not with the Terminator franchise ramping up again. They can ALL pick and choose their projects, for at least the next four or five years. Now, don't get me wrong -- I think it's a virtual certainty that we'll see Bale and the Nolans take on at least one more title, and probably more; they left bread crumbs all throughout the screenplay hinting at where they want this franchise to go, none more obvious and glaring than [POSSIBLE SPOILER!] "Should do well against cats" -- though "Mister Reese" was also fairly glaring, and I'm still trying to figure out if "Coleman Reese" isn't a clever anagram for something. But it'll happen on their timetable, not WB's, unless Warner's is foolish enough to try and corner them by prematurely announcing a release date the way they forced Peter Jackson back to the table for The Hobbit and its sequel, and the way Paramount and Marvel did Jon Favreau for Iron Man 2. Anything's possible, I suppose, but I really don't think the Batman franchise's prime movers will take too well to being manhandled like that, not when they're perfectly aware of how absolutely irreplaceable they are to the series and how broadly outraged the public would be should the trilogy wind up like X-Men did, in the hands of a less-than-capable director who frankly shat all over the screen and killed the property for the next ten to twenty years. (Please, don't get me started on X-Men Origins: Wolverine.) In short, it's just to early for me to believe an actual story exists, let alone that casting decisions are being pondered. If there was anything more detailed than an outline at this point, I'd be stunned.

Second, Eddie Murphy doesn't like the spotlight, has no need for stardom, has no desire to court public adoration... Never has, never will. That's why no Dreamgirls sequel will go forward, ever, despite the studio's high hopes. He's perfectly comfortable running out the clock on the increasingly irrelevant Shrek franchise and making one or two films a year, cashing large paychecks for unchallenging work and enjoying about as private a life as a multimedia superstar can have. He's entitled. He was busting his hump on the comedy-club circuit when I was not long past sucking my thumb, and has been a megastar for going on three full decades. Even a cameo in what will be certain to be one of the next decade's biggest films will expose him to more spolights and scrutiny than he has desired since the first Bush Administration -- and I mean George Herbert Walker Bush, #41.

Which brings me to point the third: Anyone remember all those rumors about who was going to be starring in what role in The Dark Knight? Michael Jai White was going to have a much beefier part more central to the canonical Rogues' Gallery, Aaron Eckhart would be Dent but not Two-Face, Dwight Yoakam was Riddler, the Penguin would show up, and so on, and so forth. Crap, crap, crap, crappity crap-crap crapping crapped-up crap. The Nolans managed to keep misdirection and misinformation going right up until Dark Knight premiered. Anyone who says they've got anything about Gotham figgered out, is either deluded, lying or a total f@$%ing misunderstood genius. And, last I checked, there's only one of me. [Grin]

This is the way the world ends

ETA: AICN just posted a fairly blistering assault on the above linked "scoop", along with pretty much everything else currently being bandied about vis-a-vis Gotham (the supposed title for the next Batman film, although, take that with a couple grains, too, I'd advise...though it is a kick-ass title): http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/39487

Personally, I don't mind waiting up to five years for the next installment... it'll keep, and it will be well worth it to see it done RIGHT. I've heard Harry flog The Dark Knight Returns concept before and I think there's merit to it, but, honestly, I'd rather see Bale grow into it, see the franchise continue to develop slowly over the next ten or fifteen years, the next three or four films. There's no rush, no need to "jettison" Bale, nothing to be served by reintroducing those jarring casting changes that made the first four films so fractured and inconsistent. We're talking about one of the two biggest films of all time, here; it may well be the biggest domestic earner of all time by this time next year, and the fan base -- which is now broader than it's EVER been -- isn't going anywhere. It's well worth taking the time to do well, although the prospect of a generation-long hiatus, which killed the Godfather and Indiana Jones franchises, should be avoided if at all possible.

On a related note, I know a lot of people are clamoring for someone to take over as Joker, but I'm not one of 'em. The character has nowhere to go; there is no arc to flesh out, no reason to draw it out. The villians of the Batman universe have only ever existed to reflect, refine and renew the ONE essential characterization at the heart of the story: Batman / Bruce Wayne, of course. The Joker's purpose in The Dark Knight was to show Bruce Wayne what he would have to become to rid the world of such a terror, and to push Batman into the role of true vigilante, saviour and ghoul all at once. Joker has nothing left to teach us; bringing him back would only serve to heighten the spectacle, not serve the story. (Similiarly, other than to wrap up a nagging loose end from Batman Begins, there was no reason whatsoever to bring back Scarecrow. "Closure" is overrated, folks.) However... SHOULD they ever decide to bring Joker back to life, I would want only two names on any list of potential actors who could possibly ever step into Ledger's formidable shoes: [1] Christian Slater and [2] Jake Gyllenhaal. And, yes, I'm aware of a Broke-bat connection there.
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:52 am

This is why the Fantaverse needs people like you, Swedgin, along with Keyser, numbersix, Donte, Buscemi and a few other notable former Moguls.

There's no one who can separate fact from fiction, crap from non-crap, and bottom-line it the way you can. God knows the world, and, by extension, the Fantaverse, needs pragmatists, lest we all float off into our own dream world where Nicolas Cage will simultaneously be cast as Superman AND the Scarecrow (I remember hearing rumors of both a few years back).

And as for Shia LaBoeuf being cast as Robin? HAAAAAILLLL No. I (and, I think, Nolan) don't give a flying fornication if Robin is or was part of the original comic book, or the original TV series, or is a vital cog in the history of Batman... the introduction of Robin in the original Batman series of movies spelled the beginning of the end (well, that and increasingly lame villains, which, once you get past the big four [Joker, Riddler, Catwoman, Penguin, and perhaps Two-Face], get pretty thin indeed), and to introduce him now would... well, just destroy it. I don't care if Shia is Hollywood's hottest under-25 star, with two triple-blockbusters under his belt and an almost surefire third one coming next summer, the series doesn't need him. Plus, Christian Bale has gone on record as saying that if they ever tried to add Robin into the mix, he would walk off the set and never EVER come back.

Eddie Murphy? Don't think so. My favorite choice right now would actually be Adrien Brody, believe it or not. He's got that pallid, creepy, pale-eyed complexion that would be excellent for the part, not to mention the fact that he's played twisted geniuses before, and is certainly skinny enough (a definite requisite). Plus, he's not too much older than the other principals, unlike Murphy, who is at least a dozen years Bale's senior.

But, that's just me. The next Batman certainly won't be in theaters until 2010, perhaps 2011, and we can speculate until the cows come home. As I said, thank God some of us are here to keep the rest of us from straying to the Dark Side of the Fanwanking Force.
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

View user profile http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:50 am

Thanks for the props, Shrykey. You're halfway decent, yourself. And with that, I hereby adjourn today's meeting of the Society for Mutual Admiration, Unnecessary Complimentarianism and Heavy Petting.

I actually hope Bale, in the fullness of time and as he matures as an actor, changes his mind about Robin, as Robin can and should be a thoroughly tragic character that puts an end to the conflict between Bruce Wayne and Batman. There are just so many ways they can go with the story of Dick Grayson, who ought to represent and act as a catalyst for Bruce Wayne's ultimate abandonment of his dreams for and illusions of a normal life, his acceptance of the loss of youth, and his eventual abandoment, now that he clearly perceives his inherently destructive nature, of his post as Gotham's Dark Knight (to be followed up by a concluding Dark Knight Returns chapter five to ten years on). Whether Grayson is slain by a resurgent Joker (A Death in the Family), or becomes Batman's nemesis (K)Nightwing (Crisis on Infinite Earths / One Year Later), it really doesn't matter.

And now, to annihilate utterly my previous reputation for rationality, allow me to present how I see the current theatrical Batman saga playing out -- again, this is all massively uninformed and wholly unsubstantiated speculation:

Batman Begins [2005]-- origin story of Bruce Wayne / Batman; acceptance of role as Gotham's protector (Joe Chill, Ra's al Ghul, Scarecrow)

The Dark Knight [2008]-- brinksmanship and the cost of heroism; modification of role to necessary vigilante (Joker, Two-Face)

Gotham (?) [2011/2012]-- Batman as fugitive, Wayne realizing his limitations and those of the people around him (Riddler, Catwoman)

The Caped Crusader (pure fanboy wankery) [2015 or therabouts] -- frustration at living outside the bounds of the law; attempts to bring Gotham under control once and for all, hope for the future generation (Penguin, The Reaper and / or Black Mask, introduction of Robin)

The Dynamic Duo (see above) [~2018] -- the rise and fall of Robin; Batman's vengeance and subsequent retirement; Bruce Wayne, recluse

The Dark Knight Returns [~2025] -- the re-emergence of Batman; the redemption of Bruce Wayne; the final chapter in the saga

And as for Shia LaBoeuf being cast as Robin? HAAAAAILLLL No.
Note how I have assiduously avoided referencing that particular bit of nonsense. If there is to be an introduction of Dick Grayson at all, he needs to enter the story as an early-to-mid-teen and exit as an early-twentysomething.

My favorite choice right now would actually be Adrien Brody, believe it or not. He's got that pallid, creepy, pale-eyed complexion that would be excellent for the part, not to mention the fact that he's played twisted geniuses before, and is certainly skinny enough (a definite requisite). Plus, he's not too much older than the other principals...
Brody's an interesting choice, and ideal physically. But I'll stick with what I outlined in my above post.

The next Batman certainly won't be in theaters until 2010, perhaps 2011, and we can speculate until the cows come home.
Mooo.

...[T]hank God some of us are here to keep the rest of us from straying to the Dark Side of the Fanwanking Force.
Erm. Whups.

Batman Retires
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:05 am

I was sort of thinking the same thing about Robin. In Batman and Robin, Robin and Batgirl were basically comic relief, and a horrible one at that. I think as a tragic angle, it could be well done, he is an orphan like Bruce and probably feels the same way. In the end, Bruce took the right road and did the right thing, Robin could end up choosing the other road. Friend vs. friend(ex-friend) conflict can be very intense, at least for me. I do agree with Shryke though, I dont want to see labouf (never know how to spell it) as him.
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:24 am

I think if they introduced Robin into this dark Nolan/Batman series they should use the Jason Todd storyline. For the non-comic geeks Jason Todd became the next Robin after Dick Grayson had left and become Nightwing with the Titans. A few years later, DC killed him off via a bomb from the "about to get an ass-whippin" Joker. This storyline could be gritty enough to exist in a future Batman movie and would just add fuel to the guilt inferno (heh) that batman is feeling.
Donte77
Marv
Marv

View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:43 am

This blurb just appeared on WorstPreviews.com:

"Not that it's necessary, but Eddie Murphy's agent has revealed to AccessHollywood that Murphy is not currently in talks to play The Riddler in the upcoming "The Dark Knight" sequel. "The news is not true," said the agent.

Just a few days ago, The Sun has "confirmed" that Murphy is up to play The Riddler, Shia LaBeouf is up to play Robin and Rachel Weisz is in talks to play Catwoman. Well... we now know that Murphy is out, making the rest of this "confirmed" news pure nonsense.

These rumors are clearly getting out of hand, and also really lazy. We had Johnny Depp previously "confirmed" for the Riddler role and now we have Murphy? What's next, Jackie Chan as The Riddler?"

Consider this rumor officially squelched.
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannix2121 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:50 am

Here's one thing to keep in mind: Christopher Nolan has not even officially said that he will do another Batman movie. In fact, he has said he doesn't really have an interest in it (although everyone knows he is just saying that to keep the studios off of his back about setting a timetable). But the bottom line is, there is no script right now, and from the sounds of things, Nolan hasn't really given a script any thought. So any "breaking stories" that come out about someone starring in the sequel, you know that it is all crap.

Haha, they are pretty entertaining though aren't they? I do agree with you guys that the Riddler (if Nolan were to put him in the storyline) would be more intelligent and sadistic than funny, therefore, I don't really see Johnny Depp in that role. My favorite rumor I've heard so far has been Cher as Catwoman! The one I would most like to see? Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin!
Mannix2121
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:19 am

Nolan's very much in the catbird seat, but in my humble opinion only supremely self-destructive actions by WB / Legendary, an ill-timed asteroid impact or the death of Christian Bale (better not say that too loud, right?) will prevent he and his brother from, at the very least, completing the trilogy. There's an awful lot of story left to tell... Bruce Wayne / Batman's odyssey, his struggles to define and preserve himself from the bleakness without and the darkness within, his journey from sadist to psycho to saviour and back again, is -- potentially, I should remind myself, since no one has ever actually seen it through -- one of the epic psychological, philosophical and even spiritual stories in all of modern fiction. It would be a shame to see yet another franchise come so very close to seeing something through all the way, only to falter, f@$% up or completely fall off the cliff at the end (Matrix, Spider-Man or X-Men, anyone?).

My money's on the Nolans and Bale taking the time to think things through, justify their production decisions purely in terms of service to the story and fidelity to the source material, be certain they're on the right track and put out a quality product, and if that takes five years, well, the fans and the studio are just going to have to be patient, and to Hell with any other considerations. Art ought not be hurried, else it become just another compromised virtue, another idea whored out to superficial, selfish self-interest.

...[T]he bottom line is, there is no script right now, and from the sounds of things, Nolan hasn't really given a script any thought.
There is simply no way in Hell he hasn't given the future of the story SOME thought, but I'm just splitting hairs, here. I doubt much more than an outline exists on paper or disc or hard drive. But The Dark Knight was BUILDING to SOMETHING; I flat-out will not be convinced otherwise.

My favorite rumor I've heard so far has been Cher as Catwoman!
I'd rather see Halle Berry, and, DAMN, that's really, really, really saying something, and it's not at all good.

The one I would most like to see? Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin!
I'm probably going to really, really, REALLY piss off / confuse / blow the minds of some people, here, but -- much as I agree with you, he's a fantastic actor and would absolutely do justice to that role -- I'm thinking along other lines. Bear in mind, Nolan's a total
f@$%ing evil GENIUS when it comes to against-typs casting and bucking conventional wisdom. There's no question but that he's capable of taking (no insult intended to Bale, Aaron Eckhart or Cillian Murphy, here) relative no-names and giving them the opportunity to show the world what they can do; he's also taken some of the most recognizeable actors of their or any other generation (Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman) and made them disappear inside equally familiar roles. I have no need, personally, to see him re-tread the same territory he's already explored and bent to his will. I want to see him do something (completely!) different, now: Take a HUGELY well-known, often pigeonholed, reliably underchallenged actor and turn him inside out, take those brief, subtle hints of actual talent scattered here and there throughout a long and not terribly laudable career and make him into an honest-to-God ACTOR. Stick a cattle prod up a horse's ass and you can get him to deal cards. If The Penguin -- a deeply scarred, thoroughly twisted, indescribably sadistic monster -- is to EVER appear in a Nolan-wrote-and-directed Batman film, I very, very, VERY much want him to be played by [SWIPE, TO PROTECT THE EYESIGHT OF THE INNOCENT AND UNAWARE:]TOM CRUISE.

Consternation! Uproar! Fantaversians with torches, line up over here; those carrying pitchforks, right over there. The march will begin shortly.

The last March of the Penguin
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:26 am

I'd like to see Jason Bateman play The Riddler. Sure he usually plays nice guys but I think he has what it takes to play a villain. Another choice of mine would be Crispin Glover.

And does anyone think that Clayface would make a good villain for the third installment?

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Jason Bateman... That's really, really interesting, Boussh. Nice one.

Even in the land of The Simpsons, Bateman was devastatingly handsome. Not only that, but his overbite wasn't so pronounced.
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 pm

I really don't think characters like Clayface or Killer Croc have a place in Nolan's Dark Knight world. He is portraying it as realistic and gritty and there does not seem to be room for the more magical/super-powered-supernatural characters and I think that is a good thing.

Save those characters for JLA or Superman. Leave the normal but insane villains to Nolan.
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 pm

I am still fully on board for Harley Quinn.

Also, interesting you should mention Adrien Brody, Shryke. Back when we were casting predictions for the next villain, the week TDK came out, he was one of my picks for Riddler, one I would likewise love to see.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 am

Today's NEWS OF THE WEIRD: I Doubt This Is A Local Reenactment of 'The Gift of the Magi', from Sky News.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/India-Witches-beaten-With-Sticks-By-Mob-In-Chhattisgarh-state/Article/200812415191094?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_9&lid=ARTICLE_15191094_India%3A_Witches_beaten_With_Sticks_By_Mob_In_Chhattisgarh_state

Personally, I think it's the line, "The state passed a Witchcraft (Prevention) Act in 2005 to counter a rise in witch hunts," that makes it art.

Witch hunts don't kill people... Witches kill people.
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:53 am

It's a fair cop....
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:05 am

Well no offense meant (or not that much anyway) but it is nice to know that non-white non-christians hunt witches also. That takes a load off my mind. I thought it was just the Puritans in this country. Shocked
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannix2121 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:07 am

becs wrote:I am still fully on board for Harley Quinn.

I would love to see Harley Quinn! But I'm not sure how well that would work without the Joker? She was almost more of a supporting role...
Mannix2121
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:43 am

Mannix2121 wrote:
becs wrote:I am still fully on board for Harley Quinn.

I would love to see Harley Quinn! But I'm not sure how well that would work without the Joker? She was almost more of a supporting role...

She could avenge the death and/or mistreatment of the Joker by the Gotham City Police. Or she could team with the Falcone mob family to create a corruption ring in Gotham and help Carmine (whereever he is) escape from prison.

Paranormal Activity

Don't see it alone.
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:38 pm

I am hoping for something toward the former scenario, I bet they could use some editing magic to splice in clips of the joker and make it seem like her befriending and coming to empathize with him in a quick flashback.
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top